Sponsored

Hellion twin turbo kit, anyone got it ?

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I am seriously considering this kit. Does anyone here actually have it installed ? My main concern is longevity of the motor and vibrations with FI on board. And yes if I go FI I am upgrading the oil pump gears to billet. The local speed shop I use is weary of FI on this motor and just about telling me not to do it. Apparently they spoke with hellion who had "no comment" on the vibration concern.

BTW the kit from hellion is $ 9995
Sponsored

GrayGt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gray Gt350 stock
Do it. the kit looks nice from the video and the motor is already proven to take 800whp stock with a good tune and E85. I'd do opg and crank sprocket b4

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Run E85 or race gas to keep detonation issues at bay.

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350, 66 galaxie,a Tesla, and an AMG G63
I am seriously considering this kit. Does anyone here actually have it installed ? My main concern is longevity of the motor and vibrations with FI on board. And yes if I go FI I am upgrading the oil pump gears to billet. The local speed shop I use is weary of FI on this motor and just about telling me not to do it. Apparently they spoke with hellion who had "no comment" on the vibration concern.

I'm seriously considering a power adder, but I am concerned with the motor as it sits. I think the compression has to come down for a power adder if you arent committed to e85 or race gas. I'm no expert, though.

My line of thinking right now is to have a chat with someone that has built their business on proper motor builds like livernois, L&M, shrader, etc.

Hell, livernois built a ridiculous road racing motor... 8000 rpm, 600 HP, 13:1 compression, NA Coyote. linky

If anyone is going to tell you, one of those companies can.

G-FORCE

PATRIOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
MANY
Engine safety exist primarily in the accuracy of the tune and nominal boost pressure. The static compression ratio of these engines is a limiting factor but does not prohibit the use of low boost pressure if properly fueled and tuned. Chances are my 350 will get some form of FI next year since I do not track this car. Most likely 6 - 8 lbs or so on 100 percent 93 pump gas.

Sponsored

VUDUGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350R Shadow Black
Do it! If I were to go FI on the GT350 this is how I'd do it, even though my house is <10 miles away from Whipple headquarters. You could run pretty low boost and get some great numbers.

OP
OP
EF300

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I think if it was obviously installed correctly and reasonable boost pressures were run not trying to crank out like a thousand horsepower something stupid the engine should be able to handle it. The guy who normally does my work basically just freaked me out. I really trust him and it concerns me that he thinks this is overall not a great idea.

It would be a very expensive mistake if it blew up.

OP
OP
EF300

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would be nice to for Hellion who is on these forums make a comment on any known longevity issues or issues with vibration.

VUDUGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350R Shadow Black
Then you build it to handle the boost and put it back together! It's always scary when you don't have other people blazing the way first. That's my hold up now. The engine is great and I want to push it more but also don't want to blow it up. Now, if money wasn't an issue...

texas347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just don't get greedy with the boost and you'll likely be fine. This motor with low boost - i.e. 5 or 6 pounds would be stellar. Hell 4 psi would be nice! I think you have to go into this project respecting the limits and playing it safe by having your tuner leave plenty of headroom. Down the road when more of these cars are boosted you'll feel better about getting a little more aggressive. So please go do this - I know we'd all love for someone to take the plunge!

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just don't get greedy with the boost and you'll likely be fine. This motor with low boost - i.e. 5 or 6 pounds would be stellar. Hell 4 psi would be nice! I think you have to go into this project respecting the limits and playing it safe by having your tuner leave plenty of headroom. Down the road when more of these cars are boosted you'll feel better about getting a little more aggressive. So please go do this - I know we'd all love for someone to take the plunge! ��
That's what I would do too. My usage would be mainly road course, so 100-200 extra HP would be more than enough. If you want a straight line killer with 1,000 or more HP I would advise against doing that with the GT350. But that's my conservative nature coming out.

OP
OP
EF300

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can get this kit done locally for 9995 parts + 1500 install + 250 dyno tune. The only thing holding me back is my local shop. They are advising me no to do it b/c of vibration issues that they say exist with the motor which according to them will be worse with boost. They cited GT 350 engines failing in the IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge which admittedly I am not up to date on. Any thoughts on that ?

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350

Lethal performance has their whipple dialed at 875hp at the wheels on e85 drives it everyday and tracks it all the time with no failures other than the clutch. Which your going to need a Mcleod clutch..

What vibration? Turbo's run smoother and don't drive off the crank their hung off the timing cover. They also have their tune setup to max out at 7500rpm and flatten out so your not reaching the 8250rpm limit since there is no power there you'll be forced to shift sooner. Less rpm less vibration and you could always get a better crank dampner. The Cobra Jet coyote is running 9500rpm with an ATI damper Whipper blower slung off the crank and torque converter filled with fluid on the other side talk about vibration.

Also consider the low tension piston rings FI is going to force them outward and you'll wear your bores quicker.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I would highly advise against adding this to a road course car. If you do, a larger oil cooler, radiator along with suspension and drivetrain upgrades are in order

chops44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fathouse 1250R....1992 Gt 39k mile garage queen
Is Lethal still on the stock internals with the 2.9??
Sponsored