Sponsored

First new car, need pricing help. Mustang GT Premium

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Holy crap at California auto insurance! I pay $64 per month with full coverage and $1K deductible on the Mustang alone. I pay $268 for a 2016 Mustang, 2015 Durango R/T, 2015 4Runner and a Harley...

Well, to be fair... you live in West Virginia.
Sponsored

OP
OP

NiLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Don't put a deadline on buying a car unless you NEED this car for some reason.

I'm thinking of buying a Toyota Prius...........sounds urgent to you yet?

;)

I don't have to get it for Xmas but I just want to be able to drive my family to Christmas church in a nice car for once in their entire life. We've never had a nice car. Never been in a car of our own that has less than 60,000 miles in it, a car that wasn't at least 10 years old, dinged and scratched etc. Always driving my mom, dressed so nicely, in some crappy car.

Some sidestory on why I want a GT:

So my logic is this: I know a mustang isn't a family car, especially for older folks like my parents, but I'm still single and it'll probably be my last chance to get a coupe. Later, I might have a family (though atm the chance of this is slim to none) and then I'd be stuck with a more family oriented car like a van/suv. Mustang is for fun, that's why I also wanted the manual because it is for fun. If I'm going to get something that I care for, it'll be this.

I don't want to buy a Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, Lexus, etc. They're fantastic cars, but my block is FILLED with them and I think they're just boring for me.

If I don't find a nice deal by Xmas, I might just buy something cheap like a Mazda3 purely to save money. I have that thought in the back of my head.

I know I shouldn't get a Mustang GT, but I'd like to get it while I still care. I'm working hard for something, but even to this day, I still don't know for what.

It doesn't seem very likely that I'll find a deal before Xmas, but we'll see :)

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm thinking of buying a Toyota Prius...........sounds urgent to you yet?

;)

I don't have to get it for Xmas but I just want to be able to drive my family to Christmas church in a nice car for once in their entire life. We've never had a nice car. Never been in a car of our own that has less than 60,000 miles in it, a car that wasn't at least 10 years old, dinged and scratched etc. Always driving my mom, dressed so nicely, in some crappy car.

Some sidestory on why I want a GT:

So my logic is this: I know a mustang isn't a family car, especially for older folks like my parents, but I'm still single and it'll probably be my last chance to get a coupe. Later, I might have a family (though atm the chance of this is slim to none) and then I'd be stuck with a more family oriented car like a van/suv. Mustang is for fun, that's why I also wanted the manual because it is for fun. If I'm going to get something that I care for, it'll be this.

I don't want to buy a Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, Lexus, etc. They're fantastic cars, but my block is FILLED with them and I think they're just boring for me.

If I don't find a nice deal by Xmas, I might just buy something cheap like a Mazda3 purely to save money. I have that thought in the back of my head.

I know I shouldn't get a Mustang GT, but I'd like to get it while I still care. I'm working hard for something, but even to this day, I still don't know for what.

It doesn't seem very likely that I'll find a deal before Xmas, but we'll see :)
I totally get it, and the Mazda3 actually is a very nice car, had one myself lol but maybe you get to drive the family somewhere in your nice car NEXT time, I am sure they will be just as impressed :p

You sound a lot like me honestly. I wanted a car like the Mustang for years but I never could comfortably afford it without selling some body parts. I started just by getting a nice car, a Mazda3 S 6 speed. That was my car during the second half of college, it was fun, sporty, and BRAND NEW. Got a great deal on a lease with a low payment and finished college with that car.

Then once I graduated, I had a good job lined up at a place I had interned and would be making about double what I made as an intern and my lease was coming up so I needed another car, this time it would be the one I REALLY wanted right? Well, not quite. Life was starting to add up and it was expensive to be an adult, so I got a Focus ST. I actually LOVED that car, way more than I expected I would. It was still a brand new car, but WAY faster than the Mazda and that really settled my need for a powerful car for a while.

It wasn't until this past year I could really comfortably afford a Mustang and all the maintenance that goes with it without living pay check to paycheck to fill the tank and keep tires on it. Moral of the story is there are other fun cars out there that are very affordable, and it sounds like the end goal is a fast, fun and affordable NEW car, so maybe the Mustang is a couple years down the road but it will happen eventually. Don't stretch yourself too thin because like I said earlier, life gets expensive and you never know what is going to hit you. Look around at some hot hatches which are right in the ball park you are looking at new(~$30K OTD) and give them a test drive before settling on something you don't want or trapping yourself in something you can't afford. You said it yourself, you know you should not get a Mustang right now. Your gut is usually right.

Just my 2 cents from a guy who has been there not too long ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP

NiLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Sorry, I posted a reply to you jstumper, but deleted it. Didn't want to make a moderator mad by going too far off topic. Just wanted to explain the reason behind why I wanted the GT though the most sensible thing to do was probably not get it.

I probably can't get it for Christmas anyhow, maybe a New Years present instead? I'd like to consider other cars, but I don't really care for any of them.

I had it all planned out, too. Had 5 days off during Christmas, go to church with it, use the days off to drive it. That's life for ya, disappointing.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
KISS. $7000 of MSRP is a great deal. $6000 is not bad. All else sucks.
Sponsored