Sponsored

Blown motor last night

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
How cold was it when you did that?

The oil pressure in our EB engines stays really high until the oil is up to temp...I don't do anything fun in my car until the oil temperature is in the green. When I cold start my car, I always put the oil temperature gauge up until that's in the green, I call it the "Fun-O-Meter." No fun until my oil is up to temp :lol:

Were you running 5w-30 oil (the factory recommended weight?). Stuff like Shell Rotella (15w-40) might really come back to haunt you in cold weather...
Sponsored

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
Ouch sorry to hear about your loss.

I have a stack of auto parts at home and every now and then I contemplate on whether to install them now or wait till I have the forged bottom end. Seeing these threads seems to confirm the wait.

With that said why not go with a built shortblock instead of longblock?

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
It tossed a rod buddy ......
That's what I was getting at from a round about way. But the OP didn't seem to indicate there was any sign of internal engine damage, nor has he yet. To me this seems far more likely from major component failure...

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
What's your engine code on the valve cover? Keep us updated on your progress with it.
Not sure the engine code is relevant to the overall "blown motors" threads we have been reading, that is to say I thought we were tracking specific year/factory EBMs losing rods/wristpins not blowing the oil feel lines out of the block, we need confirmation on what caused that section of the block to break off first and that it was internal failure or block failure.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I don't believe that it is from the tune as I stated, but that is just my theory as I have no solid evidence to state otherwise. I may be completely wrong and it may very well be my fault for not getting the car retuned for the summer. But as a word of advice for those who read this, I've seen motors popping on two other occasions on these forums where it HAS indeed been from the tune not being adjusted to the colder weather.

Also to clear it up there is a roughly 2" diameter whole on the side of the block where the oil feed line connects at. But instead of just the oil line coming out, it brought a large piece of the block with it.

I apologize for the confusion.
I wonder if this was an oil pressure stress failure on the block itself, possibly a bad cast block. I have seen similar things like this happen on older 3.8 aluminum blocks during seasonal changes in temps, its not common but its a possible reason, if you did not throw a rod out the side of the block and it just broke for no reason, if that is the case its super rare.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KadenW23

KadenW23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford White Ecoboost
How cold was it when you did that?

The oil pressure in our EB engines stays really high until the oil is up to temp...I don't do anything fun in my car until the oil temperature is in the green. When I cold start my car, I always put the oil temperature gauge up until that's in the green, I call it the "Fun-O-Meter." No fun until my oil is up to temp :lol:

Were you running 5w-30 oil (the factory recommended weight?). Stuff like Shell Rotella (15w-40) might really come back to haunt you in cold weather...
It was low 40's when it happened, but the had been running for 10 minutes in stop light to stop light so I would hope that it had been warmed up by that point.
The car had 5w-30 royal purple oil which is the only oil I had ran other than the original factory oil that was in it.

I believe that is what has happened and the rod just happened to come out in the oil feed line area. The cars oil temp was completely warm by the time of the problem. Wont know 100% till we pull the motor. Luckily I have to tools and resources readily available to undergo this task.

Now I just need to find me a built short block pretty quickly, going to be contacting MAP here soon to see what there time frame is to get one done.

Not sure the engine code is relevant to the overall "blown motors" threads we have been reading, that is to say I thought we were tracking specific year/factory EBMs losing rods/wristpins not blowing the oil feel lines out of the block, we need confirmation on what caused that section of the block to break off first and that it was internal failure or block failure.
I believe he was just asking to see if it could be tracked back to an early build like the others. It is indeed an early build, I can look up the exact date here shortly.

I wonder if this was an oil pressure stress failure on the block itself, possibly a bad cast block. I have seen similar things like this happen on older 3.8 aluminum blocks during seasonal changes in temps, its not common but its a possible reason, if you did not throw a rod out the side of the block and it just broke for no reason, if that is the case its super rare.
This could be a possibility, but I'm pretty sure I threw a rod as I found a few pieces of aluminum that appear to be engine internals. Cant quite make out what they are as they are extremely mangled up.

OP
OP
KadenW23

KadenW23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford White Ecoboost
Not going to try to use your warranty? lol
I could attempt to, but I've been tuned for the past months so I'm pretty sure the claim will be denied. May end up giving it a shot just to see.

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I could attempt to, but I've been tuned for the past months so I'm pretty sure the claim will be denied. May end up giving it a shot just to see.
You might as well. I'd say you have at least a 50-50 chance of having it covered. Especially since yours is an early build, and surely Ford has to realize these earlier EB's are more prone to blowing up at this point. Who knows, a few hours of your time might save you several thousand bucks.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
You might as well. I'd say you have at least a 50-50 chance of having it covered. Especially since yours is an early build, and surely Ford has to realize these earlier EB's are more prone to blowing up at this point. Who knows, a few hours of your time might save you several thousand bucks.
True but I thought if they did the tear down and deny the warranty, they will charge you for the tear down and inspection. And that will cost $.

Sponsored

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Take it to Ford. A buddy of mine took his Eco Roush in for the same problem. Engine went out getting on the freeway with less than 5K miles. It was covered under warranty and was down for about a month. The only thing is I'm not 100% sure if he was tunned when it happened.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
The rumor is that Spanish engines have either weaker wrist pins or improperly installed ones...one of the contributing factors to the ecoboom :doh:

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
If you plan to use Ford, then do yourself a favor and don't let any other mechanics touch it (and if they do, make sure it is 100% put back together before taking it in to a dealer). If your dealer can find an out, like someone else wrenching on the engine, they will :frusty:

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
If you plan to use Ford, then do yourself a favor and don't let any other mechanics touch it (and if they do, make sure it is 100% put back together before taking it in to a dealer). If your dealer can find an out, like someone else wrenching on the engine, they will :frusty:
This is good advice. I remember someone else on here blew an EB motor and made the mistake of having his local mechanic look at it before taking it to the dealer. I believe he said all the mechanic did was take off the valve cover or something, but that was enough and Ford denied any warranty coverage lickety split using "outside mechanic tampering" (paraphrasing) as an excuse. Of course, this isn't to say his warranty claim wouldn't have been denied anyway (he was probably tuned - can't remember for sure), but it gave Ford an easy out.

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
That's what I was getting at from a round about way. But the OP didn't seem to indicate there was any sign of internal engine damage, nor has he yet. To me this seems far more likely from major component failure...
Well, I was puling onto the highway about 10 minutes after leaving work when I heard a loud noise come from my engine bay and then I lost all oil pressure so I quickly turned the car off, pulled to the shoulder, and had it towed back home where I discovered that the lower connection of the turbo oil feed line had been blown clean off of the block.

I discovered that the lower connection of the turbo oil feed line had been blown clean off of the block.

This would be the indicator above.
Sponsored