Sponsored

Procharger Stage 2 Installed, Tuning Questions

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
You mention inaccurate or lagging data form the dash gauges, but what about OBD scanners or SCT and Ngauge displayed information. Would those sources be accurate and fast in your experience.
Obd scanners it depends,i have a modis and if i make a custom pid list and dont let log all the pids it samples data pretty fast.Sct and and nguage are the fastest data sampling but best to look at in the software on a pc.Other than that an labscope is the fastest way to monitor but usually one or two sensors at a time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
oesman

oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Are you worry about the 100 degree days in Texas with our temperature readings?
Well IMO its not like the temperature will go up by 20F just because ambient goes up by 20F from 80F to 100F. The fans may just run full speed longer to deal with the reduced delta T between the ambient and cyl head temp. Also consider the pressurized nature of the coolant system. This means as the pressure grows so does the boiling point of the coolant. Peak pressure boilin point may be over 260F. So in short I am cautiously optimistic that a cooler thermostat and better air flow/fans will not be necessary outside of heavy track work or excessive street pulls. Its not a terrible idea to get a lower temp tstat though if you are worried about it. Not sure how fan settings should be tuned on this car though.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
[MENTION=6795]ramairgt1[/MENTION]

Did you get the hot start low idle issue resolved?

ramairgt1

15 GT PP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whippled '20 Mustang GT PP2
@ramairgt1

Did you get the hot start low idle issue resolved?
They sent me a revised tune yesterday, it seems to have solved all of my issues but I only drove the car 15 miles. I'll put more miles on it this weekend and report back.

Sponsored

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
They sent me a revised tune yesterday, it seems to have solved all of my issues but I only drove the car 15 miles. I'll put more miles on it this weekend and report back.
I knew that we could get you handled :cheers::headbang::thumbsup:

GGordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, ProCharged
That latest update seems to have solved the rpm issue on warm start up. I'll have to drive it more to make sure its totally fixed.

All of the connections are fine and they did a compression test on the cooling system which was also fine.

I compared the head unit to another mustang and it made a similar noise, although not as pronounced as mine. I will change the oil this weekend to see if that helps. Again the sound is no biggie, just wanted to make sure it wasnt an issue.

I did a datalog of the car and its showing cyl head temps at 207-208 @ 20mph speed in 50 degree weather. Gauge was reading the same. I sent this file to the tuner.

I am going to try to log at a higher cyl head temp reading on my way home tonight to see if the gauge and log readings are the same.

I also found an old log I sent to the tuner and it was reading 210 at 0mph and 35 deg ambient temp (according to weather.com)

I'm on the fence regarding the cyl head temps since some people are getting much lower and some are getting the same.

Couple of tips here for you. I've installed quite a bit of ProChargers (and drive one daily myself). As far as sound goes, as others have said... what you hear is normal. Below 2,000 RPM you'll often hear the typical whine, but with a 2nd warbling whine as well (almost sounds like a metallic rattle at very low RPM off idle). At 1,900 RPM, the "whistle" gets extra loud and quietens by 2,100 RPM. When you get into full boost, most of the whining is drowned out by the sound of rushing air.

After putting 4,000 - 6,000 miles on it, the unit seems to quieten... a little. Makes sense as the gears are likely being broken in and aren't as sharply cut as they were when absolutely fresh from production.

Running the A/C will change the sound of the blower depending on if the compressor is engaged or not, FYI :)

I live in FL most of the year. In 70F temps, I saw typical head temps at 212-220. During the heat of summer, my ambient temps might get into the low triple digits. That's when my head temps go to 230-232 at peak. I have since swapped out for a tunnel ram air hood (As seen in pic in my avatar). This has allowed for some assistance in evacuating hot air and my head temps @ 70F have gone down to 200-208.

One other note, if you live in hot areas, I have had 2 S550 Mustangs have their A/C systems over pressurize due to high underhood temps (similar to C7 ProCharged 'Vettes ). We pulled a half ounce of refrigerant out (again, same fix for the Vettes) and that solved that. Again, I don't think you will see this issue unless you're running it hard in very high ambient temps though. One of our cars was installed in fall and didn't get the issue until the following July when it got hot. We've also had cars that never developed this issue.

Last tip: If you run it for a while and your entire center console starts getting hot, make sure the active cooling flag for your cats has not been disabled in the tune. 2015+ Mustangs have temp controlled cats (if you left them on in the first place) and sometimes mailorder tunes or custom tuners disable this flag. If you ever have any question if this is an issue, just think Chernobyl because that's what the inside of your car will feel like if that flag gets turned off. I only bring that up because I had several customers recently with this issue while running stock cats and custom dyno tunes.

Last edited:

ramairgt1

15 GT PP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whippled '20 Mustang GT PP2
Here's my update.....to save you some reading time its NOT good at all

Cold start up revs are all over the place, anywhere from choking itself out to 1500
Warm start up revs also vary, sometimes its all over the place while other times its fine.
RPM's hang after the car is driven hard. I pulled into a parking lot and could not get the revs to drop from 1500 so I shut the car off. This happened at least half a dozen times.

I am officially done with the PC tune, I appreciate them giving me the revisions but they simply aren't working and I'm sick of the issues I'm having.

I will scheduled a dyno tune within the next week or so.

15GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I've got the same idle hanging issue using my hptuners n Gauge. It's a problem with the ecu strategy our particular cars have. My PBD tune does not have these issues though. Not sure what's going on but we have tried 30-40 revisions and none have fixed the hanging idle.

bobc775

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, Gaurd
When mine was doing it I thought the throttle pedal was actually staying down (not coming back to an idle position). It stopped doing it with a proper tune.

Sponsored

GGordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, ProCharged
Every now and then I get the choking low rpm thing after starting. I don't think it's a tune or ProCharger issue... Likely more related to the fuel delivery subsystem somewhere. I say that because if I just goose it quick... BAM, problem solved and it starts idling normally.

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Something else has to be wrong? What about putting the stock injectors back in, pop off the supercharger belt, hook up the stock maf and reload your stock tune and see what happens? I'm on stock procharger tune, car runs fine.

Last edited:

15GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Different ecu strategies. Some strategies are easier to tune then others. Not sure why but that is what I was told. My car has similar symptoms on a tune using hptuners n Gauge. Once I tune the car with my sct tune from PBD, car no longer has hanging idle issue and driveability is great.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
I'm on stock procharger tune, car runs fine.
That is 99% of the results we hear about from customers.

Seems there are a couple that end up with an idle issue (no performance issue)
To the best of my knowledge all have been solved except 1 by us. (and others got custom tunes to solve it)

Lotta data in these ECU's. All it takes is one little number to be placed in the wrong spot, and weird stuff can happen. Since I haven't had a car in person ever do this (and I tune about 2 of these a week personally...not counting the loads of files that get sent out daily)... I wish I could say that I have seen what causes it. Not that I WANT to have one do it, but it would be nice so that I could see it with my own eyes.
Sponsored