Moving to Nova next year.

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
Hi everyone,

I'm in the military currently stationed in Germany. I have recently received orders to Ft. Belvoir, VA for next November. I've been stationed in Kansas, Hawaii, and Germany 3X. Did a quick search on the interwebs on the area and it looks pretty nice. I'm also seeing that a few well known shops aren't too far from Belvoir (Rev Auto, JPC, JDM Tuning, etc..).

Just starting this thread to see if there is anything I should be aware of when it comes to owning/driving a newer Mustang in this area. I've never lived on the east coast before and have only visited once a few years ago.

Thanks in advance everyone! :cheers:

-Nick
Sponsored

BarefooTonka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Hey Bud,

I live in Northern VA born and raised and actually work on Belvoir (Civilian). Housing around here is expensive and Fairfax Police are no joke they will pull you over for tint, aftermarket exhaust, and even ride height. That being said it's not horrible, a lot of car meets and groups so you'll meet other S550 owners. Hope to see the car when you finally make it back state side.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Don't buy a radar detector.

16_DIB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hector
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Welcome! There's a huge car scene in the area. Check out capitol_s550 on IG and facebook.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
Hey Bud,

I live in Northern VA born and raised and actually work on Belvoir (Civilian). Housing around here is expensive and Fairfax Police are no joke they will pull you over for tint, aftermarket exhaust, and even ride height. That being said it's not horrible, a lot of car meets and groups so you'll meet other S550 owners. Hope to see the car when you finally make it back state side.
The wife and I have actually done a bit of research on renting vs buying in the area and it is definitely on the expensive side for what we would want/need. I'll be receiving a ~$2650 monthly stipend for rent/utilities/insurance. Might just get a place on post if the waiting list isn't too long.

Sucks to hear that the FPD is all up peoples butts when it comes to simple mods. I consider my current exhaust and springs to be moderate at best so I should be ok I would suspect.

Don't buy a radar detector.
I've never even owned one before :thumbsup:

Expect to spend a lot of time sitting in traffic.
So I've heard :tsk:......Not looking forward to that. Another reason why living on post is sounding appealing.

Welcome! There's a huge car scene in the area. Check out capitol_s550 on IG and facebook.
Thanks and will do!!

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I worked there on the civilian side and still go there from time to time for work. It's a nice area, but you want to be in Arlington (lots of great restaurants, city feel but with parking, and just over the bridge to DC). You will have a reverse commute using 395, getting off at Exit 7 (before the traffic typically picks up).

I know a few folks who would commute from woodbridge, and although it's closer in mileage, depending on your location it will actually take longer.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Welcome to NOVA. They say its for lovers, but there are lots of haters.
Very expensive for housing. Not sure about you style of living, but there are lots of options for communities. Don't speed on 95 south corridor to Richmond. Automatic lose of license. You got water on one side in Maryland and mountains out West near West VA. (blue ridge mountains)

A few car meet ups on meetup.com. Don't go to the one in Alexandria. I think its called Cameron's. They had some issues and now you can't even rev the engine there. Katy's is the biggest in the area. Got to get there real early on Saturday. There is a northern VA mustang club, but it feels weird. Feels like a click and don't seem to be car guys.

Do your homework on mod places. Know when they are gouging you. Don't go to American High Performance. Way overpriced. They changed their name after getting a bad rep. Koons has the best prices on mustangs GT's in the tri-state. Ted Britt is best service. Stay away from Al Packer and Sheehy for sure.

They treat military ok here as far as discounts. Could be better! Best I have seen is Glory Day's Sports bar if you like their food.

You have to go to the OBX, Harpers Ferry, Virginia Beach, Mustang week, Carlyle ford nationals, Andrews AFB Air Show. Wildwood Beach in New Jersey is the number one family beach in America.

Virginia Active duty residences pay no state tax on income.

And lastly, Virginia hates cars. The laws and taxes! Let it be no surprise. Welcome to the Commonwealth of Virginia! And use your Waze!
:cheers:

BarefooTonka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I agree on everything 5.Oh Crush said but stay away from Ted Britt Fairfax I bought my Stang from them and my first service they put 70+ miles on it and drove her around to me on pick up with a flat tire. I was getting a service advance trac warning... So they drove it trying to duplicate the issue but 70+ miles in NOVA would take hours and the blown tire makes me wonder if they were beating the crap out of her... :paddle:

And I'm on the River every weekend in the summer lol Belmont Bay is our version of Party Cove:cheers:

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Just starting this thread to see if there is anything I should be aware of when it comes to owning/driving a newer Mustang in this area.
If you speed, don't get caught going 80 or above in VA... no matter if the speed limit is 70.

It is very hit and miss if the officer will let you off due to military and the judge may or may not allow you a chance at driving school. Friends over the years have been let off because of military, others not so lucky.

And the police in that area have four door chevys with no tent... looks like a guy/gal driving to or from work.... they are at work, a police officer. :D

I spend a lot of time in VA and not had a bad (or good) interaction with the police. Even in the area I've been pulled over a couple of times: Once when I purposefully blew a red blinking light, and second when I had a rear light out in my car (was thankful since I did not know it was out).

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
Hi everyone,

I'm in the military currently stationed in Germany. I have recently received orders to Ft. Belvoir, VA for next November. I've been stationed in Kansas, Hawaii, and Germany 3X. Did a quick search on the interwebs on the area and it looks pretty nice. I'm also seeing that a few well known shops aren't too far from Belvoir (Rev Auto, JPC, JDM Tuning, etc..).

Just starting this thread to see if there is anything I should be aware of when it comes to owning/driving a newer Mustang in this area. I've never lived on the east coast before and have only visited once a few years ago.

Thanks in advance everyone! :cheers:

-Nick
Sounds like you'll need a car club, Nick! Shoot me a DM on IG @Deadpool.s550 or @capitol_s550 ...would be happy to see you get involved with our crew. :thumbsup:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Sounds like you'll need a car club, Nick! Shoot me a DM on IG @Deadpool.s550 or @capitol_s550 ...would be happy to see you get involved with our crew. :thumbsup:

Haven't seen you post in a while, no more ecoboost I see. How's the photography going?

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
Haven't seen you post in a while, no more ecoboost I see. How's the photography going?
What up, man! I traded in the Eco for a GT back in May. It's been a packed year for modding, less so for photos (though I did take plenty of good ones at CNC events back in the spring).

What's new?
Sponsored