Sponsored

New BORLA XR-1® Tuner: Add 40HP to your 2015-2017 Mustang 2.3L EcoBoost Instantly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I believe that having re-initiated this thread was very useful - at least for me. Thank you all for your comments/suggestions. Most definitely I will keep researching the issue before taking any decision on the choice of tuning strategy, if any.

Can we take the issue of boosting performance a little bit further? Instead of - or in addition to - tuning our babies, we can also replace the stock intercooler. Is it worth doing? What are the benefits? I am working on the idea of having the stock intercooler replaced with one from Extreme Turbo Systems. Any ideas?
If you are going to track the car I would get the intercooler... if no track time, you can but not absolutely necessary. Regular, everyday driving, with some spirited driving here and there... you don't need to replace the intercooler.

A couple of years back, during the summer, I took a 400 mile trip that included about an hour or so of hanging with some modified GTs toward the end of the trip. We were moving. According to some on this forum, my car should have lost all power... that did not happen. I was able to hang out with those GTs without issue.

You have a lot of people on here who know it is not necessary, but they don't comment since it is not worth all the "I'm hurt you don't agree with me comments" that follow when you go against the grain. Me? I don't care. I'd rather give people information so they can make an educated choice. Either way, does not matter to me... get it or don't get it.
Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
If you are going to track the car I would get the intercooler... if no track time, you can but not absolutely necessary. Regular, everyday driving, with some spirited driving here and there... you don't need to replace the intercooler.

A couple of years back, during the summer, I took a 400 mile trip that included about an hour or so of hanging with some modified GTs toward the end of the trip. We were moving. According to some on this forum, my car should have lost all power... that did not happen. I was able to hang out with those GTs without issue.

You have a lot of people on here who know it is not necessary, but they don't comment since it is not worth all the "I'm hurt you don't agree with me comments" that follow when you go against the grain. Me? I don't care. I'd rather give people information so they can make an educated choice. Either way, does not matter to me... get it or don't get it.
Great information! Thank you.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Replacing your intercooler is highly recommended whether you tune or not. The stock one is woefully inadequate and will pull timing on warm days even on a completely stock car.
ETS makes a good intercooler. Some people here have even used $140 intercoolers from ebay and gotten good results (It's an idea I'm toying with while I decide which intercooler to purchase)
There's a stickied thread for intercoolers if you want to look through it: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15352
Thanks. I will definitely do some research before buying anything. I like the ETS though.

Aaron_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M/T PP 2.3 EB
I absolutely do know what the pedalmax does. And pretty much all tunes alter this also. I've raced motorcycle for years and the 1/4 turn throttle helps. The simple fact is at any given position you have more power. Sure just pushing the pedal farther sounds simple but for most of us driving normally, it is easier to go faster then consciously pushing the pedal a lot farther. Why buy bigger brake packages. Just push the pedal harder. They all lock up the brakes. Why sway bars. Just turn the wheel a little farther. Now if you push the pedal to 70 you will have the power of full throttle. Unless you drive full throttle all the time, this will give you more power until full. It might not be for everyone but don't condemn it for the every day driver.
While I guess I sorta get what you were trying to say with that first few sentences ..... the remainder of your post is one of the most confused and misinformed things I have ever seen typed on a forum. Bravo sir! :cheers:

*edit* need to contribute to the thread ....

Personally I have the ford procal tune. installed at 17k miles. Considering the 485ish dollars I spent on it, the end result is probably hands down the most power for dollar amount I have purchased for a car. (outside of maybe a used nitrous kit I guess :D )

Sure it will not be as fast or as flexible as other tunes, but if the car is going to be a daily driver or transportation you have to depend on, it will be the path of least risk.

Next purchase will be an intercooler personally. I can certainly notice a massive difference in power / smoothness at part or 3/4 throttle once the car has some heat in it.

Last edited:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
While I guess I sorta get what you were trying to say with that first few sentences ..... the remainder of your post is one of the most confused and misinformed things I have ever seen typed on a forum. Bravo sir! :cheers:

Personally I have the ford procal tune. installed at 17k miles. Considering the 485ish dollars I spent on it, the end result is probably hands down the most power for dollar amount I have purchased for a car. (outside of maybe a used nitrous kit I guess :D )

Sure it will not be as fast or as flexible as other tunes, but if the car is going to be a daily driver or transportation you have to depend on, it will be the path of least risk.

Next purchase will be an intercooler personally. I can certainly notice a massive difference in power / smoothness at part or 3/4 throttle once the car has some heat in it.
Good to know.

Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic

I can see the confusion. I was just trying to convey that such things like Throttle controllers, Bigger brakes, sway bars and such are things that make spirited driving more fun and enjoyable even though most of us really don't use the full potential of what we have but the car FEELS better with these modifications. For instance I am looking at bigger brakes so I can effortlessly stop but in reality I can stop just as quick with the stock brakes but just need to push the pedal harder.

I'm glad to hear your input about the Ford Pro Cal. I am giving it some serious consideration and there is still limited reviews of the tune. I am hoping it will at least make the top revs not feel so sad. Does it give decent improvement even as you daily drive it with part throttle or mostly just at WOT.

Aaron_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M/T PP 2.3 EB
Short answer is yes, car feels better in all aspects of its power delivery now. More torque at low rpm and pulls much much better above 5k than it did previously. That being said, my daily driving habits are quite a bit more aggressive than a "normal" person.

Worst thing about the procal is the very very poor fitment of the gt350 cai. To install it correctly requires a little more effort than what the instructions say.

For instance I am looking at bigger brakes so I can effortlessly stop but in reality I can stop just as quick with the stock brakes but just need to push the pedal harder.
This just simply is not true. Install some 1 inch diameter rotors on your car and then tell me that pressing the pedal harder will accomplish the same thing as factory sized rotors .....

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
If I were to go racing or have long mountains when brake fade is a concern the larger brakes will also bring more performance where the stock brakes will actually not stop if needed. But as I drive down the road with my stock brakes and hit my brakes hard I can instantly lock them up. The larger brakes would do the same with just less force. I just don't want to push the pedal as hard during a spirited run. Certainly larger brakes are needed if pushing the car past the limit of being able to lock up the tires at any time with any amount of force on the pedal.

I do hear about the poor fitment of the CAI and wish they would not require it as I like the quiet sound of the stock airbox and I'm sure the CAI brings little power improvement as compared to the tune. As many tuners themselves still run the stock airbox. I'm sure it is a bit of a marketing plan also to include the "gt350" air box. After this winter here in Pa is over I might have to set up a trip to Ford and get this installed.

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
What the hell did I just read?

Sponsored

Witj85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT Base 6spd in Shadow Black
I wonder if I run 4 of them in line will it get me an extra 16-20lbs of boost?

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
40486268.jpg

OP
OP
Lisa@Borla

Lisa@Borla

Threads
Reaction score
Borla Performance Industries (Oxnard, CA)
Website
www.borla.com
First Name
Lisa
Vehicle(s)
-
The question should be:

How much HP does the XR1 really deliver IF the owner is NOT using a Borla exhaust system IN CONJUNCTION with their XR1?

What other modifications or upgrades did the EB have that Borla used as its test subject for the gains proposed in the attached graph? Did that vehicle have a CAI also? Did it have an upgraded intercooler? I mean, Lisa mentions in her response that the system benefits from the Borla exhaust.

The only modification we used was the Borla Exhaust. The difference between the stock exhaust and the Borla exhaust combined with the XR-1 Tuner varies depending on where in the power curve you compare, but the difference varies from 0-5hp. We did this specific testing to achieve maximum potential from the combination.

mtoo22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple GT
In reality, it's not going to make a difference. The difference isn't made by the exhaust but by the tuner.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.