Sponsored

After your P Zeroes wore out, what tire did you go to?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Update: So far these Barum tires are quite good. They handle wet weather quite well. So cheep and better traction are the positives. I have not seen any bad attributes. If they last as long as the Pirellis, they will be well worth it. :thumbsup:
I had Barum tires in college. They lasted 20K miles and were supposed to last 40K. I hope they've advanced in the past [censored] years.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sc00ter

Sc00ter

Sc00ter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow GT Premium w/50th Appearance
Okay, final assessment of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ vs factory Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S.
- Both decent in light snow... a wash.
- It's been a while, but the Pirellis were extremely quiet when new, a bit better than the Michelins. (However, the P Zeroes got steadily louder and harder riding after about 65-70% tread wear, and began following road irregularities at speed)
- Pirellis grip a little better: slightly better steering response and road feedback, with more traction launching off the line. Michelins feel a tad squirrelly in comparison.
- Both ride well, with the Pirellis having better turn-in response than the Michelins.
- Curb rash: The Pirellis are prettier, but that little 1/4 rubber bead sticking out of the sidewall does absolutely nothing to protect the wheels (yes I did, no, not badly, but it still breaks my heart every time I look at it). The Michelins stick out past the wheel edge, which should give fair warning if they brush the curb before you grind a wheel.
- Fear factor: as far as grip goes, the Pirellis just kept giving and giving the first year and a half, no sphincter-tightening moments ever even when my rational mind went "oh sh_t." They just powered through, instantly telegraphing grip, slip and everything in between. The standard GT suspension was obviously tuned for these tires, and it shows.

That being said, the Michelins have 95% of the performance of the Pirellis and a 45,000 mile tread wear warranty, so (almost) no buyer's remorse. The factory Pirellis only lasted 18,000 miles before they were down to 3/32". I'm hoping for much better than that from the Michelins.... wish me luck!
:headbang:

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Okay, final assessment of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ vs factory Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S.
- It's been a while, but the Pirellis were extremely quiet when new, a bit better than the Michelins. (However, the P Zeroes got steadily louder and harder riding after about 65-70% tread wear, and began following road irregularities at speed)
- Pirellis grip a little better: slightly better steering response and road feedback, with more traction launching off the line. Michelins feel a tad squirrelly in comparison.
- Both ride well, with the Pirellis having better turn-in response than the Michelins.
- Curb rash: The Pirellis are prettier, but that little 1/4 rubber bead sticking out of the sidewall does absolutely nothing to protect the wheels (yes I did, no, not badly, but it still breaks my heart every time I look at it). The Michelins stick out past the wheel edge, which should give fair warning if they brush the curb before you grind a wheel.
- Fear factor: as far as grip goes, the Pirellis just kept giving and giving the first year and a half, no sphincter-tightening moments ever even when my rational mind went "oh sh_t." They just powered through, instantly telegraphing grip, slip and everything in between. The standard GT suspension was obviously tuned for these tires, and it shows.

That being said, the Michelins have 95% of the performance of the Pirellis and a 45,000 mile tread wear warranty, so (almost) no buyer's remorse. The factory Pirellis only lasted 18,000 miles before they were down to 3/32". I'm hoping for much better than that from the Michelins.... wish me luck!
Good review.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform

Only 18k on the factory Pirellis huh, that's not much. Hopefully like you said, better luck with the Michelin tires.

Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
I think I am going this route, my Pirelli tires are slicks now.
I have been receiving nothing but great reviews on the new 555G2's.
I think its a great choice. :thumbsup:

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
I bought "Achilles" tires after reading good reviews online. I'm not sure how I feel about the way they LOOK, but wet and dry traction is WAY better than it was with the P-Zero's.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
I bought "Achilles" tires after reading good reviews online. I'm not sure how I feel about the way they LOOK, but wet and dry traction is WAY better than it was with the P-Zero's.
Their pretty solid tires, I've used them before on one of my older cars.

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
Their pretty solid tires, I've used them before on one of my older cars.
I couldn't drive with TCS off on the P-Zero's (which I can only assume were aptly named after the amount of traction they offer) without getting sideways when I didn't want to. The tires lasted 16k miles. I picked up 4 tires M&B, plus alignment for $580 out the door. The sidewall is wider than the rim, which some people like, but I've never been the guy who gets curb rash, so it's not a plus for me.

I've got just over 2k miles on the Achilles, and so far, so good. (For reference, I have factory 18" wheels)

Sponsored

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Good review.

Are these the new compound Pirelli's? Or are you saying that the highest rated a/s tires on the market aren't as good as what came on the car stock?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
Is the Conti DWS06 good for SoCal? I like the mileage wattanty at 50,000 miles. Is this best bet for price/performance/mileage wattanty?

Thanks

Rick

Last edited:

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Paul,

Is the Conti DWS06 good for SoCal? I like the mileage wattanty at 50,000 miles. Is this best bet for price/performance/mileage wattanty?

Thanks

Rick
Good for an all season but I sold my wheels at 23k miles and the wear indicators (letters) were down to the "D". Fronts were fine.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD

Thanks

Rick
I don't see why not. Not going to handle like a summer tire, but... my DWS tires drive fine in hot Georgia weather... haha.
Sponsored