Sponsored

Coilover Recommendation

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Seriously looking at the Ground Control setup but would like to hear from members about coil over setup that they are happy with?
Sponsored

GCSystems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 Mustang GT
There should be a right height kit install, pictures, and review by next weekend. Another forum member is installing and posting next week.

Have a great weekend!

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
You should defiantly give Ridetech level 2 a try. You won't be disappointed. No noise at all from the coilovers and the rebound/compression ride quality is something special. The fox racing shocks are very high quality. These coilovers will put my previous kW v3 to shame.

The kit comes with 300f and 400r and it is very well balanced. Right now I am going to try 325f and 450r. Ridetech will switch out your springs for free until you are satisfied.

Suspension is a personal perference and everyone is different. So what I am saying is you have to keep on trying until you find the one you like.

What I have just explained was my personal review on the Ridetech but with you can be a different story.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
How do you like the RideTech compared to the kW v3?

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
this should apply to all because what works for someone out on the West coast and in FL will not work equally for anyone in the snow belt or NYC area like myself. From my opinion with my KWv3 i have had them on the car for 14k miles and nothing is broken that is a great sign of build quality. I have broken Bilsteins PS9 and PS10 kits before and an eibach R2 kit. the 14k miles on my Kwv3 are the hardest and most grueling miles you could imagine if you saw some of the roads i have to battle daily. My friend owns a new Mercedes S63 which is a land yacht and he has broken 12 rims and 9 tires over the past year alone and blew out several of his air springs as an example of how rough our playground is on cars.

I would like to test a set of these Ridetechs on my roads and driving conditions if they sent them to me to test. From experience i had the top of the line triple adj ridetech coilovers on both my 68 and 70 Pro touring cars as well as my friends 69 Camaro. All 3 of those cars continuously blew shocks out to the point that one of my cars even broke the 4 link frame and split my floor apart from hitting a pothole on the highway at 70mph.their shock failure cost me a 16k insurance claim with Hagerty. All in all from those headaches i truly lost all confidence in their product line. I Switched to JRI and have never looked back on my muscle cars. The question remains how will their S550 kit hold up in my neck of the woods, i am sure i would find issues within days or weeks of driving around here but for now i am very happy with the kit i decided to keep. So whatever kit you decide try to focus on your priorities, and then weigh the build and reputation of the brands so you make the right choice. Not everyone has time and money to keep experimenting like myself and a handful of others on here and if you can try to test drive a car local to you with a kit you are considering.

Sponsored

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
We are running Ridetech with the base 300 front 400 rear, comfortable for sure. Actually, very comfortable and good for the street and potentially 1mile/ 1/2 mile and 1/4 events which is what we'll test on. For track, up the spring rate some.

Give us a shout though if you have any questions!

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Ground Control and Ridetech are the two coilovers I'm considering. Ground Control for their wide range of height adjustability, Ridetech for all the positive reviews I have read.

What I'm starting to wonder is how much adjustment I truly need. I don't see myself cranking on knobs often if ever. So I'm wondering if I just need a really good strut/spring combo.

One thing I don't want is a car that drags on ramps, scraps on speed bumps, or is a PIA to drive because it is so low to the ground. After years of driving Corvettes, this totally takes the fun out of having a performance car unless you live in a land of totally flat roads. With this in mind, Ground Control seems to have an advantage being able to restore back to stock height (for those who like the stock height) all the way down to -2.5" from stock. That is one hell of a range. One minus is that you have to run this down first before lifting it up. Not sure how that will work if you want to fine tune to the ideal height or if you want to change heights for the track.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I am running 375F and 500R springs and ride is still confy but very very firm We have nice roads around here and that is the reason i can run higher spring rate. But the springs that come with the kit 300F and 400R and very very well balanced and absolutely comfortable on even ruff roads but with a turn of a knob they firm up real nice.

I am actually going to sell mine because i have $6000 worth of dental bills i have to pay for. sucks because they are one of my favorite fucking coil overs i have tested.

Amer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, Shadow black/black w/GT PP
Great thread and thank you to the OP for bringing this up.

I too am on a search for coilovers. I don't have issues with shocks and springs but I do prefer the ability to change ride height and rebound on coilovers as needed. I was looking at Roush and KW till I came across a thread here about RideTechs.

I did email RideTech 2 days ago and have yet to get a response. I guess they take awhile? Just wanted their opinion on a setup for me.

I know this can all be relative/subjective, but I'm looking for something much better than stock (I have PP and it's not great IMO, sloppy in the corners, during rebound the rear lifts a lot)

I don't launch/drag but I do drive in the mountains a lot and have done numerous track days in the past and I'm looking for a setup that is not too firm but inspires confidence in the corners.

I have ordered the BMR Cradle Bushing lockout kit, LCA Bearing upgrade and Ford Perf. Toe-knuckle Bearings. I'm hoping these with coilovers will make the car handle much better.

So for those running variant 2 / Level2 of the Ridetech how is the performance with base 300 front 400 rear. Happy in the corners? Stable? etc.

One other question for those with coilovers, are you running camber plates? It seems with a one inch or so drop one is within tolerance limits of the factory alignment. Beyond that it becomes harder to adjust close to OEM. I was thinking if I'm swapping to coilovers then might as well add camber plates.

In for a penny in for a pound :doh:

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Great thread and thank you to the OP for bringing this up.

I too am on a search for coilovers. I don't have issues with shocks and springs but I do prefer the ability to change ride height and rebound on coilovers as needed. I was looking at Roush and KW till I came across a thread here about RideTechs.

I did email RideTech 2 days ago and have yet to get a response. I guess they take awhile? Just wanted their opinion on a setup for me.

I know this can all be relative/subjective, but I'm looking for something much better than stock (I have PP and it's not great IMO, sloppy in the corners, during rebound the rear lifts a lot)

I don't launch/drag but I do drive in the mountains a lot and have done numerous track days in the past and I'm looking for a setup that is not too firm but inspires confidence in the corners.

I have ordered the BMR Cradle Bushing lockout kit, LCA Bearing upgrade and Ford Perf. Toe-knuckle Bearings. I'm hoping these with coilovers will make the car handle much better.

So for those running variant 2 / Level2 of the Ridetech how is the performance with base 300 front 400 rear. Happy in the corners? Stable? etc.

One other question for those with coilovers, are you running camber plates? It seems with a one inch or so drop one is within tolerance limits of the factory alignment. Beyond that it becomes harder to adjust close to OEM. I was thinking if I'm swapping to coilovers then might as well add camber plates.

In for a penny in for a pound :doh:
We are all here by the phones. We would love to talk. Please call our office 812-482-2932 and ask for Josh, he is our Mustang guy.

Sponsored

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT350 Tech Pack, 2011 Mustang Racecar, 2011 Raptor
I'd look at ridetech (these guys are making fantastic kits) or the JRZ kits.

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
Procharged 2015 Mustang GT PP
We are all here by the phones. We would love to talk. Please call our office 812-482-2932 and ask for Josh, he is our Mustang guy.
What spring rates have you guys used for a good balance of street/drag performance. I have a 2015 mustang with the level 2 HQ coilovers with the 300 front and 400 rear springs (8" long). wanting more ride height since i'm maxed out and having some rub and cant get to 0 camber. I don't do road courses just want it to handle decent on the street and launch nicely in the 1/4 mile. I ordered a 10" 250 lb spring for the rear and got the 2.7" eyelet and the clamp tool. Now from my research it appears the 250 lb in the back is way too light? Any input @jayman33 ?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
wanting more ride height since i'm maxed out
don't change spring rate (unless it's wrong to begin with), get a machine shop to make you a spring spacer of about 1.5" thick. It'll nestle into the spring hole and slide over the adjuster's lip.
Or source a 9" spring in the same/correct rate.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Neither of those will change the height if he's using all the travel.
indeed. but the vendor short-changed him on front preload adjustment range where despite cranking it up all the way (out of thread) he can't get the car back to the desired ride height which I assume is close(r) to stock. Finding a 9 or 10" spring may be difficult (though it seems he lucked into some by accident) so the only remaining recourse is to put in a spacer and back the adjuster back down the shock body and give him another (spacer length worth) to play with for preload. I really don't get why these coil over companies think it's ok to design a product that can't get back to stock.

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
Procharged 2015 Mustang GT PP
Having had them, you can easily get there with the standard 8" springs.
Thanks for the responses guys...i have the 10" 250 springs en route n will not put those in the back..will hold on n maybe when I lighten the front will try those...sticking with the 8" 300 pounders. I placed an order for 10" 400 pounders for the back and as mentioned before got the 2.7" eyelet and ridetech's clamp tool.
To be perfectly honest the car is pretty low even at max ride height adjustment but I do have 315/35r20 street tires in the back. Im using 315/45r17 et street r radials for the drag strip. I want the car to plant n go down the strip but it isn't a race car...more of a street car. Ive been told by many to aim to get near 0 out back...but just taking advice. Currently the car rides really well on the street and handles great but l throw those drag radials on n there's sway in the back under boost even when going str8 or cruising at highway speed with any type of steering input. From what I can see the front toe needs to be corrected as each tire is pointing outward when the steering is dead center...just want a planted car that is fun on the street and put down a respectable time at the drag strip. It should be making around 850rwhp...haven't dynoed it yet after swapping from the procharger to the hellion twins...it feels real fast though.
Sponsored