Sponsored

Whipple belt chirp

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Magnetic Automatic
Here is what mine sounded like this morning. Based on the other video looks like my car has contracted the disease :(

[ame]

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
oh please oh please don't let mine sound like that next week.

OP
OP

Kyle0995

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
oh please oh please don't let mine sound like that next week.
Mine took about a week and half to sound like that. Then I changed the belt 3 times and it took about a week to start again. It's worse when you are driving and going up in rpm but mine does go away when it warms up and if it's hot outside. If it's under 60 outside it's another story and the chirping never stops .

Sponsored

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
can you use a stethoscope or long extension to isolate exactly where the chirp is?
I don't have one put that's the plan this weekend...I need to find where the noise is coming from. Initially it sounds like its coming from the blower pulley to me.

-Cmy

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine took about a week and half to sound like that. Then I changed the belt 3 times and it took about a week to start again. It's worse when you are driving and going up in rpm but mine does go away when it warms up and if it's hot outside. If it's under 60 outside it's another story and the chirping never stops .
I've got about 2,000 miles on mine and I would say it started to chirp after about 1,500 miles.

I'm going to try the recommendations from Whipple listed below and flip my belt and see if that helps. But based on responses in this thread it's most likely going to come back. Glad I installed the $10k cricket mod :mad:

If someone still has a noise after updating the stands. There are a few possible issues. First, over torquing idler pulleys can be a problem. I would recommend loosening each idler and take the torque level down roughly 5-10%. I would also check alternator alignment.

The noise comes from the edge of the belt touching a guard. Most common culprit is the water pump pulley. But once an edge of the belt is damaged, it's most likely going to make the noise unless flipped or replaced. It's not damaged in the level of failure, it's damaged in the that the edge is scarred with an extra burr or something hanging off, when it goes by a "guard" on a pulley, it makes that noise.

You do not need to shim the SC or idlers. In fact, please, do not DO THIS. This will only cause issues.

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=13288]Whipple SC[/MENTION] how do I go about getting updated stands or tell if I need to update them?

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Is it me or does it look like the belt is walking on the idler? Or is the belt edge uneven? Can you take a video and keep the camera steady on the idler pulley under the supercharger pulley.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
What kind of torque wrench did you use? When i installed mine i was playing around with the shims and torquing at different values (nothing crazy), but you could feel the difference in the pulley with not much of a different torque value.

Sponsored

boosted4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Installing mine this weekend hope this is not a common issue.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Ive got about 3k on mine, not a peep. I think its the exception not the rule.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
We've got thousands of these out there with no issues, it has happened to a few and were working on it and I'll have some test pieces soon.

The best way to isolate it is with a squirt bottle and water. Squirt water on the pulley and it will either go away or stay. This helps isolate where the noise is coming from.

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
Installing mine this weekend hope this is not a common issue.

Mine is quiet so far, but it's only been on there since Sunday and I've only driven it about thirty or fourty miles.

I have seen very few people complain about it though so I think you'll be fine!

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
We've got thousands of these out there with no issues, it has happened to a few and were working on it and I'll have some test pieces soon.

The best way to isolate it is with a squirt bottle and water. Squirt water on the pulley and it will either go away or stay. This helps isolate where the noise is coming from.

Thanks Whipple I wil try this.. It is driving me crazy but I have to say Whipple has been great, they sent me a new belt, they sent me the upgraded stands, when that didn't work they sent me a couple pulleys. I still have the chirp.

I know if I lived close enough they would have my car and find they chirp and fix it. Their customer service is great but I don't.

Let me know when you find the fix for this please,

thanks again Whipple for your support !!!
Sponsored