Sponsored

Whipple belt chirp

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Many have run this tensioner now including plenty here. This tensioner has dual angular bearings so it has no slop from side to side, it travels true. Therefore if it jumps forward, something is off in alignment. If the spacer is .390" and pulley is not damaged in some way (bearing movement, etc), then I would suggest putting a washer or .070" spacer between the SC inlet and idler plate where they tie together. This would space the top of the idler plate out at the top and change the angle. This has worked on a few with the old tensioner that did the same thing.
I confirmed that the provided spacer is .390 from the back face to where the step is where the bearing rides, I put a straight edge across the back mounting point of each tensioner and this is the result. I could not get an accurate measurement of the gap difference as the edge of the pulley is too narrow but there is a variance of about .025 - .030 from what I could measure with clay at the widest point.
1.jpg
2.jpg
Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I use laser alignment tools whenever I service pulley/belt driven equipment at my power plant.

Has anyone ever tried using a laser alignment tool to see exactly how 'in spec' their Whipple pulley is?
I have a laser alignment tool good luck getting that in there is no clear line of sight to show a laser line. Only true measurement I could get was with a straight edge from the crank pulley to blower pulley.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
I have a laser alignment tool good luck getting that in there is no clear line of sight to show a laser line. Only true measurement I could get was with a straight edge from the crank pulley to blower pulley.

You can measure sc pulley to tensioner easily and vice versa. Just remove the smooth pulleys. Smooth pulleys aren't critical for measurement.

If you measure the tensioner from face to mounting surface, it should be 2.014". The gap between the arm and body is .028" if you have a feeler gauge.

When was the system purchased? Is the rear idler spacers pressed or loose fitting?

When measuring the pulley in both tensioners, was the idler the same direction as the guards are not even. Centerline is the same but the edges are not. From image it looks like they are flipped. The cast tensioner is just that, no machined surfaces so its hard to get a good measurement off it.

Let me know.

Last edited:

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You can measure sc pulley to tensioner easily and vice versa. Just remove the smooth pulleys. Smooth pulleys aren't critical for measurement.

If you measure the tensioner from face to mounting surface, it should be 2.014". The gap between the arm and body is .028" if you have a feeler gauge.

When was the system purchased? Is the rear idler spacers pressed or loose fitting?

When measuring the pulley in both tensioners, was the idler the same direction as the guards are not even. Centerline is the same but the edges are not. From image it looks like they are flipped. The cast tensioner is just that, no machined surfaces so its hard to get a good measurement off it.

Let me know.
The system was purchased in Oct 2016 it has the updated loose fitting stands between the main bracket and the wp/tc and the new shorter belt routing. The spacers for the smooth idlers are interference fit by hand, the grooved pulley that rides on the tensioner has zero offset to it. When I did those 2 comparison shots on both tensioners the pulley orientation was identical, the cast tensioner arm is tweaked that is why the gap is smaller on one end. I already had a .035 shim between the main bracket and the supercharger I am now in the process of increasing that to the .070 you recommended. I will put it all back together and fire it up and see where we stand.

4orceFed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Equip.Group 400A
We have more SC's out there then anyone else, the noise started to pop up overtime in some units. The new billet tensioner resolves all belt noises and all kits shipping now include the billet tensioner. This new part eliminates all possible tensioner issues.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Are there issues with the 10 rib also or is it exclusively a six rib issue?

Project Whitemare

GTFO Squad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Image of the tensioner assembled without a pulley. There shipped out with all necessary hardware and simple instructions.
I'm seeing that other have received theirs and I live here in CA, so I would have expected mine by now. I've been working with William and have been reassured that I was on the "list".

However, I see mention of a voucher in this thread. I've never received a voucher.

I just want to make sure that I get my tensioner as soon as possible. If I need to provide you with any other info, just let me know.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
The system was purchased in Oct 2016 it has the updated loose fitting stands between the main bracket and the wp/tc and the new shorter belt routing. The spacers for the smooth idlers are interference fit by hand, the grooved pulley that rides on the tensioner has zero offset to it. When I did those 2 comparison shots on both tensioners the pulley orientation was identical, the cast tensioner arm is tweaked that is why the gap is smaller on one end. I already had a .035 shim between the main bracket and the supercharger I am now in the process of increasing that to the .070 you recommended. I will put it all back together and fire it up and see where we stand.
Wait did you have a shim in here when you started? If so please remove first and try that. You can use the same belt. If it has an issue it will happen immediately.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
I'm seeing that other have received theirs and I live here in CA, so I would have expected mine by now. I've been working with William and have been reassured that I was on the "list".

However, I see mention of a voucher in this thread. I've never received a voucher.

I just want to make sure that I get my tensioner as soon as possible. If I need to provide you with any other info, just let me know.
Anyone who has a noise issue gets a replacement tensioner if requested.

As for a voucher, we updated the cal roughly 4-6 months ago and ones that had experienced a hesitation updated there cal.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Wait did you have a shim in here when you started? If so please remove first and try that. You can use the same belt. If it has an issue it will happen immediately.
Before I got the billet tensioner I was instructed by Mike to put a .035 shim between the blower and the bracket in the 12 o clock position, they said that would solve the issue. Couple of things :

My new tensioner body measures 1.987 from mounting surface to the face not the 2.014 you stated. The .028 gap is correct.

I installed the .070 shim at the top of the bracket like you stated and here is the results pic's attached. It is obvious that putting the shims in made the problem worse so tomorrow I am going to remove the .070 shim and start from square one and see what happens.

I posted up a pic of the belt miss alignment from the smooth idler to the water pump pulley, I have not got a straight answer on that is that miss alignment normal or not ? Also my belt walks fore and aft about .060 to .070 is that normal ?
6.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
3.jpg

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Before I got the billet tensioner I was instructed by Mike to put a .035 shim between the blower and the bracket in the 12 o clock position, they said that would solve the issue. Couple of things :

My new tensioner body measures 1.987 from mounting surface to the face not the 2.014 you stated. The .028 gap is correct.

I installed the .070 shim at the top of the bracket like you stated and here is the results pic's attached. It is obvious that putting the shims in made the problem worse so tomorrow I am going to remove the .070 shim and start from square one and see what happens.

I posted up a pic of the belt miss alignment from the smooth idler to the water pump pulley, I have not got a straight answer on that is that miss alignment normal or not ? Also my belt walks fore and aft about .060 to .070 is that normal ?
I would recommend removing the shim and starting back at base. I noticed you have an ATI as well. It would be good to use the Gates laser alignment tool on that as we have come across the balancers to vary during installation as its a very tight press.

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Here is some pics of mine. Not sure this will help but its hard to get down in there and get good pics. I have the 6 rib belt setup and I do not have any squealing or chirping and hopefully I don't get any. I too am running the ATI balancer.
IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0237.jpg
IMG_0236.jpg
IMG_0235.jpg

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
My belt rides on the back of all the idler pulley's, but seems to all be inline.
Sponsored