Sponsored

When are we due for more info or hints?

Raul-7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 S-code FB
1968 is way better looking than 1967 ;)
Not really, I prefer the car without the side marker lights. ;)
Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Not sure what sort of reputation this website has, so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.themustangnews.com/content/2016/08/more-performance-on-the-way-for-mustang/#.V7sb7pgrLIU

"Things have been pretty quiet on the Mustang news desk when it comes to new specialty models as Ford has been busy talking up the new Focus RS and Ford GT, but this is all about to change in the coming year.

Two high-performance variations of the Ford Mustang are expected to break cover in the coming year, one of them at least before the end of calendar year 2016.

One of them, the long awaited return of the Mach 1. While some might ask when Ford will come up with something new instead of rehashing the same old themes, a Mach 1 will surely sell every copy they can make.

How comprehensive a package the Mach 1 will be is not yet entirely known. Test mules spotted around Ford’s Dearborn campus have shown cars with a different front fascia and rear spoiler treatment among a few detail changes.

Powering the Mach 1 is expected to be the 5.0-liter V8 with potentially a small but of extra power by way of a few adds like a higher flow exhaust and and perhaps a return of the shaker hood. Test mules however don’t reflect the latter.

A Mach 1 would serve to answer the extra track and performance adds a Chevrolet customer could get with the 1LE on top of the Camaro. This means the Mach 1 should be expected to have a more aggressive tire and wheel combination and a tighter suspension than the GT.

Interior treatments would feature special seat patterns and embroidered this and that just as have special editions in the past. The Mach 1 is not expected until a late 2017 or early 2018 model year launch and could hasten the return of at least one heritage color combination.

The big Cahuna is the return of the Shelby GT-500. Expected for late 2017 or early 2018 on the 50th Anniversary of the original GT-500. This new top-dog Mustang will seek to get back its honor having been eaten at lately by the likes of the Hellcat and ZL1.

Powering the GT-500 is yet the discussion. Reports out in the media suggest either a 5.2 or a 5.0 liter V8 with some form of forced-induction. Turbocharging or supercharging is still a question, with no definitive answers.

Horsepower should however be up in the 700-plus range, topping at least one of its pony car rivals, the Camaro ZL1 at 650 horsepower and the Challenger Hellcat at 707. The test mules seen and heard in the video from Mustang6g.com don’t yet give up much in their sound, but do show a GT-350 body package taken up a significant notch.

A unique front clip will draw from the more rounded and open mouthed look from the last generation GT-500. At the rear of the GT-500 test mules much is the same with exception of a larger pedestal wing.

At least one of the cars is likely to make its debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show this winter and the other likely at Detroit. Will they make us wait until next spring at the New York Auto Show? Maybe, but our bet is on the two winter shows. Stay tuned"
I'm still saying the 5.2 with a CPC will be used in the Mach1.
Ford needs to cover the development cost of the Voodoo. This would be a good place to start.

Seatown Stang

HereWeGo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm still saying the 5.2 with a CPC will be used in the Mach1.
Ford needs to cover the development cost of the Voodoo. This would be a good place to start.
Agreed! I think the 5.2 will end up in a couple different trim levels. Including the GT500 with some sort of power adder on it.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Agreed! I think the 5.2 will end up in a couple different trim levels. Including the GT500 with some sort of power adder on it.
I sure hope you're right and it's hard to think that they wouldn't do this, since the tooling already exists for a lot of the critical components...then again, I'd also have to guess that there would also be a lot different from the Voodoo in addition to the crank.

In any case, seeing how much they've done with "just" 5.0L, the extra 12 cubic inches should make a big difference. I just hope we don't lose any RPM capability.

I know a lot of people are skeptical about that Woodward concept 2017 GT with the 5.2L...but come on, guys. Would they really tease us like that if that motor wasn't going into some other trim level in the near future?

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I sure hope you're right and it's hard to think that they wouldn't do this, since the tooling already exists for a lot of the critical components...then again, I'd also have to guess that there would also be a lot different from the Voodoo in addition to the crank.

In any case, seeing how much they've done with "just" 5.0L, the extra 12 cubic inches should make a big difference. I just hope we don't lose any RPM capability.

I know a lot of people are skeptical about that Woodward concept 2017 GT with the 5.2L...but come on, guys. Would they really tease us like that if that motor wasn't going into some other trim level in the near future?
Man... Just think of the possibilities with the CPC version of the Voodoo... With all the built in stress-bolstering... And then imagine ecoboost on top of it...

Wouldn't be for the Mach 1 though. But I can see an n/a version of that envying for the Mach 1.

Maybe more power than the 350 currently.

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
IF Ford does do an Eco-boost V8 for the GT500, would that make them the 1st large volume US manufacture to do a TTV8? I know Callaway did a TTV8 for Corvette and it was sold thru Chevrolet dealerships, but that's not really a mass market deal. And back then it was over $100,000.

coastalcop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ford went v6 with the Gt. Hard to think they would go bigger/ more powerful in the stang

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Ford went v6 with the Gt. Hard to think they would go bigger/ more powerful in the stang
The GT is wrapped around the engine. The Mustang is not.

The GT is like an aerodynamic go-kart. It will go fast even with an Ecoboost four banger.

The v6 is lame to put in a gt500. Sure it can make 700 hp or so. But put in the 8 and you'll blow it away.

I'd like to see Ford invest in an Ecoboost 8 at least as much as they have the 6.

to don't go from the 14 gt500 with a 5.4 v8 and 662 hp stock with massive aftermarket potential to around the same power (less torque) using a ttv6.

If they did so, they'll just be sending customers to the zl1 and hellcat.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear what you're saying here. I think a lot of this comes from GM typically holding back the Camaro to not step on Corvette toes. Even now, the 8spd auto is supposedly tuned to shift a bit slower for the Camaro even when the same unit is used in the Vette....at least according to the Smoking Tire review that posted this week.

On the other hand, we also have a precedent of Dodge being willing to outgun their own Viper with the 707hp Hellcat over the 650hp Viper.

I think it could go either way...but even an 800hp TTV8 car wouldn't outrun the Ecoboost GT...they very well may be willing to surpass the horsepower numbers and let the performance and panache of the GT stand on its own.

Ford is doing quite well these days. It seems like they have good people steering the ship. If we get a Mach1, it will likely be equipped and priced appropriately to fit into the market, much the way that they slotted the GT350 into the right spot.

I just can't wait to see what they do next.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been wishing for something along these lines for ages......a 5.2 CPC N/A for Mach 1.....add a supercharger for the GT500.

Can dreams come true? :love:

https://blog.americanmuscle.com/201...tm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fordenginetease
This just seems so plausible...especially when looking back at the previous Mach1, this is more or less exactly what they did, right? :cool:

Jeez...all this Mach1 talk has me thinking long and hard (again) about how I could find room in my garage for a 1970 Mach1. Such a cool car...

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
This just seems so plausible...especially when looking back at the previous Mach1, this is more or less exactly what they did, right? :cool:

Jeez...all this Mach1 talk has me thinking long and hard (again) about how I could find room in my garage for a 1970 Mach1. Such a cool car...
Yep, I own one. It's a 351C-CJ. But the new Mustangs are no comparison to my old Mach 1 in terms of speed, handling, visibility, etc. The 351C puts out about 300HP. I've had it rebuilt twice, still runs good, but never had the rotisserie treatment done to it. Here in SoCal there's very little rust problems. Mostly paint fade (and it's been repainted 2x in the same color). Numbers-matching throughout. I may sell it to get a new GT500 depending on what comes out. If the Mach 1 comes out, then I'll keep both.

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
You do know there was no 351C-4V Cobra Jet in '70, right? I did have a '73 Q-code non-ram air (n/a on 4v that year) 4 speed, 351 C 4V-CJ. Only Cobra Jet in a Mustang for 70 was the 428.

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
You do know there was no 351C-4V Cobra Jet in '70, right? I did have a '73 Q-code non-ram air (n/a on 4v that year) 4 speed, 351 C 4V-CJ. Only Cobra Jet in a Mustang for 70 was the 428.
That's odd because mine has a Cobra Jet ram air scoop (came from the factory like that - I have the original build sheet). Stripes on the hood around the scoop say "351". I also verified the VIN as a Cleveland block and the numbers match on the block. But I think you're right - it wasn't until later they had a 351C Cobra Jet motor. Sorry if I misspoke.
Sponsored