Sponsored

Anyone replace their euro sports car with a GT350?

GT P-TREE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My Gtr is a 14 also...but I like to keep.
This is my second Gtr had a 2010 also.
They are great cars...for sure.
If I was big ballin' I would have kept the GT-R and done a big awhp build, Alpha 16 or the like. Pockets no where that deep though.
Sponsored

USMC0341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
I traded in a 2013 Audi RS5 for my GT350. No regrets here!

Dimitri

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dimitri
Vehicle(s)
Toyota tundra
If I was big ballin' I would have kept the GT-R and done a big awhp build, Alpha 16 or the like. Pockets no where that deep though.
Alpha 16 is monster.
For sure.
But mucho money.
My Gtr is stock.
I rather keep the car and just add a mustang.
Those alpha kits are expensive.

Sponsored

OP
OP

baege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CAYMAN S
I traded in a 2013 Audi RS5 for my GT350. No regrets here!
How would you compare the 2 in terms of level of refinement and precision?

I found my c7 just a bit "sloppy" in a lot of areas like steering, throttle response, shift action. It just didn't go together as well as my 981 did and that made it less fun for me.:shrug:

would you say the gt350 is similarly not as refined as a the rs5 but its visceral driving experience makes up for its relative "sloppy" nature? and actually makes it a better driving experience overall?

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The paint and assembly quality of the GT 350 are not worthy of a vehicle in this (or any) price range, but the driving experience is orgasmic.
I think that might be a little aggressive. I compare this cars philosophy to that of the Evo and Sti world.. which I've owned 3 evo's and 1 sti. The way I see it you're paying for drive train and some track functionality that is built into the car. With a warranty.

The evo and sti are very much the same.. at heart they are very much economy cars with a very good drivetrain and suspension/brakes. I always said that's what I paid for and just happen to have a body and interior.

In saying that if you look you're going to find some kind of flaw in most any car in sub 100k price ranges. Rather it be interior, brakes, paint, engine, exhaust etc etc. I've studied a total of 4 of these cars now. One of them a later build had only a hood adjustment issue and a but of a rear bumper gap and a paint booked down by the license plate area. Maybe I'd look at it different if I had paid larger adm etc. Then again if I would have I would have had the dealer correct any issues I found before ever leaving the lot. Had to do the same with my Raptor. But saying the build and paint isn't worth a car in this or any price range is a bit of a stretch.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
SNIP

So for me the gt350 would be replacing my 2016 Cayman S, which I still enjoy and am just bored of. It's not a commuter car for me, but just a pleasure road car, no track duties.

I was bored of my 2014 Cayman S and so got a 2015 C7 and that didn't go so well (sold it within 3 weeks and ordered the 2016). I did find the C7 lacked the finesse and precision of the 981 and that took away from the driving experience and made it less fun than my 981. I don't want to go down that path again with the gt350 especially since getting another NA 981 could be tricky.

So has anyone here replaced their euro sports car with a gt350? How did that go for ya? How does it stack up as a fun refined car compared to its predeccessor?
I have only test driven Porsches and never owned one, so take this with a grain of salt. I felt as though the Porsche was boring as well. Yes, it's more of a sports car than a Mustang, it's a better size, the shifter was much better, easier to place the car on the road, etc. However, Porsche doesn't provide much power unless you pay big bucks, and Ford isn't afraid to break out the big hammer.

To answer your question directly - no - 100% no the Mustang will NOT have the handling precision of the Porsche. But it also won't bore you. It's good (relatively) cheap fun. Most people will absolutely NOT describe a Mustang as refined. It's a little redneck, a little low class, but a good time.

You have to decide what you want. Precision is not a Mustang.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Most people will absolutely NOT describe a Mustang as refined. It's a little redneck, a little low class, but a good time.

Hmmff, you just described most of the girls I've ever dated. :headbonk:

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
But saying the build and paint isn't worth a car in this or any price range is a bit of a stretch.
Do you own one? Have you lived with one?

As the owner of one (and almost the owner of another one), I guarantee you this isn't a stretch at all. The paint quality is unacceptable, and the overall assembly quality is not up to the level of lesser cars. Offering an amazing engine, chassis and brakes does not excuse Ford from meeting quality standards that are generally offered by other manufacturers. I have owned dozens of new cars, and I have never been as disappointed as I am in the GT 350's quality.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid

As the owner of one (and almost the owner of another one), I guarantee you this isn't a stretch at all. The paint quality is unacceptable, and the overall assembly quality is not up to the level of lesser cars. Offering an amazing engine, chassis and brakes does not excuse Ford from meeting quality standards that are generally offered by other manufacturers. I have owned dozens of new cars, and I have never been as disappointed as I am in the GT 350's quality.
Mine is pretty good. Certainly not perfect, but not bad either. Sounds like there is some inconsistency in quality the needs to be addressed.

-T

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

I own one and the paint is as good as any other new car I have purchased in the past. Most new builds of any car in the mere mortal affordability range have similar issues. Panel fitment in particular is by far the most common i have noticed. My 15 GT/PP also had great paint but a lot of panel fitment issues. Just remember, you did not buy a Ferrari.

OP
OP

baege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CAYMAN S
I have only test driven Porsches and never owned one, so take this with a grain of salt. I felt as though the Porsche was boring as well. Yes, it's more of a sports car than a Mustang, it's a better size, the shifter was much better, easier to place the car on the road, etc. However, Porsche doesn't provide much power unless you pay big bucks, and Ford isn't afraid to break out the big hammer.

To answer your question directly - no - 100% no the Mustang will NOT have the handling precision of the Porsche. But it also won't bore you. It's good (relatively) cheap fun. Most people will absolutely NOT describe a Mustang as refined. It's a little redneck, a little low class, but a good time.

You have to decide what you want. Precision is not a Mustang.
see the thing is, I was bored of my 2014 Cayman S and I wanted a change. I thought the C7 would fit the bill. I always liked low end torque and it had kinda of a unique sports car and muscle car at the same time appeal.

and yes when I got it, it was quite a different experience than my cayman, but different in a bad way.. It kinda felt like a bit of a truck in comparison to the cayman, crude, sloppy and big. I didn't enjoy driving it nearly as much. Even though it was faster and not boring in some ways, I didn't find myself going for joy rides or taking the longer route as I did when I first got my cayman.
I no longer do those things with my cayman as I am kinda bored with it...I want my next car to bring me back to that crazy place:crazy: and I wonder if the gt350 will do that for me or will it be the C7 experience all over again...very hard to tell without driving one...

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Does any dealer do test drives for the 350?
Since you are in central AZ, I was asked if I wanted to test one of theirs at a dealer in the far west valley. I went there to look at a GT similar to the one I ended up ordering closer to home in Scottsdale. I didn't really have time to drive the GT350 plus wasn't at all interested in buying one, so passed. Don't remember the dealer name but its owned by Earnhardt but under a different name.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
see the thing is, I was bored of my 2014 Cayman S and I wanted a change. I thought the C7 would fit the bill. I always liked low end torque and it had kinda of a unique sports car and muscle car at the same time appeal.

and yes when I got it, it was quite a different experience than my cayman, but different in a bad way.. It kinda felt like a bit of a truck in comparison to the cayman, crude, sloppy and big. I didn't enjoy driving it nearly as much. Even though it was faster and not boring in some ways, I didn't find myself going for joy rides or taking the longer route as I did when I first got my cayman.
I no longer do those things with my cayman as I am kinda bored with it...I want my next car to bring me back to that crazy place:crazy: and I wonder if the gt350 will do that for me or will it be the C7 experience all over again...very hard to tell without driving one...
At this point, if you get the GT350, and it doesn't do it for you, there's nothing under $100k new that will satisfy you. You've compromised 3 times so far, twice on the same car. I think what you want and what you're willing to spend is not matching up.
Sponsored