Sponsored

Carbon Fiber Driveshaft coming soon!

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
First, I have to thank Frank at Dss(driveshaft shop) for being super friendly, and helpful.

For the past couple days I've been working with DSS, and taking all the necessary measurements needed to build the first one of these for the Gt350.

They are going to begin building it tomorrow. I should have it in about a week. Once I receive it and verify that it fits, and is within spec, these should be immediately available to the public.

I will report back with pics and weight savings as soon as I get it.

Update:

Received, and installed the driveshaft today!

Once again I really want to thank Frank at DSS for being super helpful, and getting this thing built, and shipped out to me lightning fast.

First, here is a picture comparing the new DSS GT350 shaft (top), with the DSS '15-'16 GT shaft (middle), and the stock GT350 shaft (bottom).
[/URL]

Before installing the new shaft I weighed all three shafts.

The OEM GT350 shaft weighed in at 27lbs
DSS CF shaft for '15 Gt 18lbs
DSS GT350 CF shaft 19lbs

That equals an 8lb reduction in rotating mass. So.. Is that going to equate to an increase in power put down to the ground? Probably not much if any, but I think of the weight loss as icing on top of the many advantages of a carbon fiber driveshaft.

Here are a couple pics during the install.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

After installing it, and making sure everything was in spec, I took it out for a test ride. Right away I noticed a newfound smoothness that's honestly hard to put my finger on. It almost seemed quieter if that makes sense. Also it doesn't seem to shock the tires quite as bad on firm 1-2 shifts, and overall clutch engagement just seems smoother.

In total I put about 60 miles of street driving on it today and so far, so good. No additional vibrations or noise whatsoever. I have a track weekend booked for April 9th, and 10th where we will find out for sure if it will put up with some real Voodoo punishment. But as of now, I couldn't be happier with the product or the customer service from The Driveshaft Shop...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Goofball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 R
Yay.... Just something else to order.:doh:

Seriously though. I love seeing some parts coming out now!

Sponsored

OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I guess that means you'll be selling the one from your GT :)
Yep, I was just going to pm you to give you first dibs since you had already asked me about it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I had the opportunity to talk to Jamal Hameedi about why the factory didn't pick up where the last GT500 left off and include a CF shaft on the GT350 as well. He was clear that fiber shafts weren't stiff enough, hence the two piece. So I'd love to hear DSS' point of view and what they are doing differently with this specific application to make it work - properly.

Sponsored

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I had a Dynotech aluminum shaft on my Boss. Couldn't tell a diiference after I put it on, nor did I notice a change when I removed it prior to trading in the car.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I put a '13/'14 CF shaft on my '09 GT500. You could immediately tell the difference.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R