Sponsored

Ford Racing Axles leaking?

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Hi Jmeo,

My halfshafts are both starting to exhibit similar oil residue on the gold parts and no oil residue anywhere else. Mine are not as bad as the ones in your photos though. This is after about 6k miles. Is some oil residue normal from your findings?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Jmeo,

My halfshafts are both starting to exhibit similar oil residue on the gold parts and no oil residue anywhere else. Mine are not as bad as in your photos though. This is after about 6k miles. Is some oil residue normal from your findings?
There shouldn't be any. Either axle seals are leaking or it's the CV boots on the 1/2 shafts.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
There shouldn't be any. Either axle seals are leaking or it's the CV boots on the 1/2 shafts.
Dang. I'm tired of my car being on jackstands.

The boots are dry so I guess it's the interface at the gold section.

Good thing I saved my wimpy OEM ones to get me by.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dang. I'm tired of my car being on jackstands.

The boots are dry so I guess it's the interface at the gold section.

Good thing I saved my wimpy OEM ones to get me by.

Thanks!
Best of luck for a speedy recovery :)

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
If its liquid form its likely the diff that is leaking, not the half shafts. I have the same axles and its bone dry under my car. These diffs have breathers with overflow valves that release excess oil from the diff when they get hot. Have you had fluid added recently?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For me it was the axles. They were sent back to G Force and rebuilt under warranty

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
If its liquid form its likely the diff that is leaking, not the half shafts. I have the same axles and its bone dry under my car. These diffs have breathers with overflow valves that release excess oil from the diff when they get hot. Have you had fluid added recently?
I removed my diff cover and rebuilt my cradle last October due to a sheared diff bolt and the diff is still bone dry. Behind the diff cover is a thin sheet metal plate and behind it is a channel for the vent

and then it goes to the aluminum barb on the outside. The diff has one breather that goes from the top portion of the diff, up the cradle and up towards the rear passenger wheel.When I did my repairs,

my halfshafts were still dry at that time. I filled the diff to spec and have periodically checked everything since the repair.

When I saw my halfshafts, I immediately remembered this thread,
Sponsored