Sponsored

Steeda's S550 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter is Here!

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Finally fitting mine in a weeks time
Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Would love to hear your feedback & if at anytime, you are having trouble with the install - don't hesitate to call us ... happy to help!

Best Regards,

TJ

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Would love to hear your feedback & if at anytime, you are having trouble with the install - don't hesitate to call us ... happy to help!

Best Regards,

TJ
Hey TJ

Can you please tell me which is the softer spring, the big or small one?

Thanks!

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
At the 16:37 mark ... you can hear the explanation:

The shorter one is the softer spring.

Best Regards,

TJ

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
brilliant, thanks mate

Sponsored

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey guys, so installed my tri ax the other day. All went smoothly as we watched cj's video the whole way. Only tricky bit was getting the lock out collar right at the end. We ended up screwing the little screws all the way in, this still allowed us to engage reverse and screw the stock knob back on enough.

As for freedback:

Wow the shifts are so tight and precise now, i think it has to free up a bit though.

Few things I've noticed which I need to get used to, can others comment if they had the same.

1st to 2nd shift. I need to always apply sideways pressure otherwise i end up hitting the gate between 2nd and 4th and look like I cant shift. I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to do this. I guess once I'm used to it will be fine.

NVH - this has increased a bit actually. I went nuts with the dynamat and this focal foam which is specifically for vibrations. The gear stick itself has more vibrations in it as the rpm's climb. At 7500rpm fark it shakes abit but then again all hell is braking loose then anyways. I guess as the Steeda doesn't have all the soft bushings like the factory one did it's going to vibrate more.

Overall though I can hear the engine more as the car is vibrating but not in a bad way, it's sort of given the engine (not exhaust) a beefier note almost. My center console etc has no vibrations what so ever.

Anyways overall I'm happy with it and I'm sure it will loosen up a bit overtime/I'll get more used to driving it

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
As for freedback:

Wow the shifts are so tight and precise now, i think it has to free up a bit though.

Few things I've noticed which I need to get used to, can others comment if they had the same.

1st to 2nd shift. I need to always apply sideways pressure otherwise i end up hitting the gate between 2nd and 4th and look like I cant shift. I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to do this. I guess once I'm used to it will be fine.

NVH - this has increased a bit actually. I went nuts with the dynamat and this focal foam which is specifically for vibrations. The gear stick itself has more vibrations in it as the rpm's climb. At 7500rpm fark it shakes abit but then again all hell is braking loose then anyways. I guess as the Steeda doesn't have all the soft bushings like the factory one did it's going to vibrate more.

Overall though I can hear the engine more as the car is vibrating but not in a bad way, it's sort of given the engine (not exhaust) a beefier note almost. My center console etc has no vibrations what so ever.

Anyways overall I'm happy with it and I'm sure it will loosen up a bit overtime/I'll get more used to driving it
Did you use the long or short springs? I used the short (softer) ones and have never noticed any issue from first to second; definitely do not have to apply sideways pressure.

NVH is definitely increased. I put dynamat all over the all shifter components and 2 layers on the tunnel/shifter and I still have a significant amount more nvh than with the stock shifter. It is what it is.

That said, I don't notice any increased vibration in the shift lever itself - and I have a gigantic steel shift knob which would likely enhance the vibrations if there were any.

Given you are having issues with 1st to second and the shift lever vibrations, I wonder if something is not quite installed or put together right?

Edit: I should clarify - there may be a bit more vibration in the shift lever as when first installed the collar would vibrate/make noise on acceleration. I reset it and it was fine (no noise), but as of a couple week ago, it is starting to make noise again, so I am going to need to play with the set screws again. But, as I said above, the vibration is not so bad that I notice it in the shift knob.

Last edited:

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Did you use the long or short springs? I used the short (softer) ones and have never noticed any issue from first to second; definitely do not have to apply sideways pressure.

NVH is definitely increased. I put dynamat all over the all shifter components and 2 layers on the tunnel/shifter and I still have a significant amount more nvh than with the stock shifter. It is what it is.

That said, I don't notice any increased vibration in the shift lever itself - and I have a gigantic steel shift knob which would likely enhance the vibrations if there were any.

Given you are having issues with 1st to second and the shift lever vibrations, I wonder if something is not quite installed or put together right?

Edit: I should clarify - there may be a bit more vibration in the shift lever as when first installed the collar would vibrate/make noise on acceleration. I reset it and it was fine (no noise), but as of a couple week ago, it is starting to make noise again, so I am going to need to play with the set screws again. But, as I said above, the vibration is not so bad that I notice it in the shift knob.
Thanks mate, I think with the 1st-2nd is user error as we followed everything to letter and didn't have any issues during install. I just need to get used to it. I used heaps of dynamat and some in the tunnel, i could prolly add more there but from what you said i think thats just how it is.

I used the shorter springs too (already looked into that). Im ok with the overall nvh increase, i just wanted to make sure that was normal

Thanks!

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All these cars react differently ... we have done several installs of the Steeda Tri-Ax on customer's cars in our Valdosta, GA facility & they drove off with 0 increase in NVH.

Using the dynamat is helpful in reducing the NVH - put some miles on it & if you are still having some trouble with the 1-2 ... we can look into your install & see if we can offer some suggestion.

Have a great night!

Best Regards,

TJ

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
All these cars react differently ... we have done several installs of the Steeda Tri-Ax on customer's cars in our Valdosta, GA facility & they drove off with 0 increase in NVH.

Using the dynamat is helpful in reducing the NVH - put some miles on it & if you are still having some trouble with the 1-2 ... we can look into your install & see if we can offer some suggestion.

Have a great night!

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks mate, appreciate it. I'll get the km's up and see how we go. I wonder if some of the shifters rest against the top of the tunnel (like mine) and others don't so they dont transfer as much vibration from the trans

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Thanks mate, appreciate it. I'll get the km's up and see how we go. I wonder if some of the shifters rest against the top of the tunnel (like mine) and others don't so they dont transfer as much vibration from the trans
The shifter should not rest against the top of the tunnel. pm your email address and I will have our techs contact you to make sure everything is perfect.

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The shifter should not rest against the top of the tunnel. pm your email address and I will have our techs contact you to make sure everything is perfect.
Thanks mate, I just had a look back through my install pics and it actually doesnt touch the trans tunnel. I'm not sure why I thought it did.

The vibrations are starting to settle down a bit too, I think it just needs more miles on it :-)

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
Thanks mate, I just had a look back through my install pics and it actually doesnt touch the trans tunnel. I'm not sure why I thought it did.

The vibrations are starting to settle down a bit too, I think it just needs more miles on it :-)
Phil - Brandon's fix using lead strips and an extra layer of Dynamat worked for several of us as far as reducing the NVH. His fix can be found here:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45405&highlight=Brandon+Tri-Ax

My Tri-Ax is smoother and quieter now than when first installed. I love it.

Good luck mate. :cheers:

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks mate, I remember chatting with him. I added the extra focal stuff which absorbs vibrations really well. I just need to do some more under the car i reckon. Will look into that later :-)

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey guys. so my shifter has started developing a rattle at high revs. Pretty sure its the lockout collar (I have the stock one) and I thought I read somewhere here someone else had the same issue.

I can only imagine as the NVH has increased the vibrations are now noticeable through the shifter.

Any ideas and guideance? I note my lock out collar is a little grindy kind of noise when I use it
Sponsored