Sponsored

Roof rackin it?

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Anyone ever put a roof rack on for any reason? The other day I was driving to the mountain to get some snowboarding in. I was in my jeep which is loud and slow and I thought to myself "wonder what a snowboard rack would look like on a 6th gen mustang"

Personally I would never consider actually doing it but it's probably a good solution for some people.
Sponsored

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
The Yakima kit seems pretty good IMO. There is a guy on YouTube who installed one on his.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Sea Suckers is the way to go if you value your sports car.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I've always loved Thule and Yakima. If Thule makes one I'll consider it.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Just browsed a little... dont care too much for the video here while its nice it does end up showing the finished product of a snowboard yakima rack on an s550. actually pretty nice looking.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]Lu0Z8DRg_ZU[/MEDIA]"]

Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The racks that goes on with clip are nice, but higher risk of scrapping your car. I have an old Yakima rack and not sure how they make it now, but it was clip style and it would scrape some paint off the inner door area. The soft cushion stuff on the edge of the rack where it touches the car is good for a few months and ends up being a sticky goo. Its not hard to get off, but just something to keep in mind. I guess just be careful when placing one on. I prefer the mounted racks that goes in the car's roof lining, but those are only available if the car comes with it. Our Mustang does not, so we are stuck with clips (not sure about Thule as I only used Yakima so far).

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
It isn't like it is super difficult or terribly expensive to get a clear vinyl on the roof... then rack away!

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Roof XPEL Ultimate clear bra is not bad, but that is just the roof only. It will be additional to have the A-pillar from front to back (or just the midsection above the doors) clear bra also.

I thought about racking it on my mines, but racked my crappy Corolla instead lol.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Yeah, I choose another car for... pretty much everything haha
Roof XPEL Ultimate clear bra is not bad, but that is just the roof only. It will be additional to have the A-pillar from front to back (or just the midsection above the doors) clear bra also.

I thought about racking it on my mines, but racked my crappy Corolla instead lol.
It isn't like it is super difficult or terribly expensive to get a clear vinyl on the roof... then rack away!
The racks that goes on with clip are nice, but higher risk of scrapping your car. I have an old Yakima rack and not sure how they make it now, but it was clip style and it would scrape some paint off the inner door area. The soft cushion stuff on the edge of the rack where it touches the car is good for a few months and ends up being a sticky goo. Its not hard to get off, but just something to keep in mind. I guess just be careful when placing one on. I prefer the mounted racks that goes in the car's roof lining, but those are only available if the car comes with it. Our Mustang does not, so we are stuck with clips (not sure about Thule as I only used Yakima so far).
As I said I'm sure it's entirely doable and there's probably a ton of good safe ways to get it done but at the end of the day I just wanna see them on someone else's car lol

Kpod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Black
I thought about it and ended up going with a hitch instead to carry the mountain bikes.

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I bought Seasucker for my bikes! Id recommend Seasucker all day though be prepared for sticker shock, I could have bought a set of headers!

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
How long is a snowboard? Will it fit in the trunk with the seats folded down?
Sponsored