Sponsored

2018 new dash thoughts?

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I think the digital dash is rather cool, but the novelty of it would wear off like anything else. I don't like the fact that the gauges will no longer be in between the dash vents, I think it really jazzed up the dash and was one of the reasons I wanted the PP.
Why do you think there will no longer be gauges in the dash?

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Why do you think there will no longer be gauges in the dash?
I would have thought thou, that with a new full digital dash and the sync 3 screen, that Ford would have digitized the PP center gauges as well...:shrug:

To me they kinda seem out of place with all the "HIGH TECH" that is in the cockpit now...:doh:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]fi60_HmklVA[/MEDIA]"]

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If that silvery outline is the outline around the base instrument panel, let's all hoe that the new arrangement fills up the base IP area better than these pictures are showing. It's way too small as shown ↓↓↓

attachment.jpg

There should still be enough time to fix it if it isn't.

Norm

Davefzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Looks like it will only be available on the premium models. Such a shame if true.

Click this link: http://m.ford.com/cars/mustang/2018/
Scroll down to the eye candy section.
Click on the dash.

It displays this text.
4 of 20
12'' Digital LCD Instrument Cluster
Optional on the EcoBoost® Premium and GT Premium, this all-digital cluster lets you customize exactly what you want to see while you’re on the road – right down to the color of your gauges.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I can only imagine the replacement cost when the screen dies in 10 years or something goes out with a bcm. It is a lot cooler than the old my color dash though
I don't know about you, but I've literally never had an LCD screen die on me... These things have been in use for tons of things for over a decade now. There's still one in the dash of our current Mustangs, BTW.

This is one of the biggest unsubstantiated complaints I see from people who are apparently afraid of technology. "All this fancy tech just means more things that will break and be expensive to repair!". The fancy tech, if anything, actually makes these cars more reliable and easier to maintain.

Sponsored

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'm not crazy about the new look. I do miss the read out in big block numbers in MPH like i had on my 2013 RAM R/T. But i like round gauges.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This is one of the biggest unsubstantiated complaints I see from people who are apparently afraid of technology. "All this fancy tech just means more things that will break and be expensive to repair!". The fancy tech, if anything, actually makes these cars more reliable and easier to maintain.
One of the issues is that when things do break, the reasons that they break are more difficult to diagnose and the repairs tend to be replacement of whole assemblies rather than the individual component that did fail. Diagnosis generally ends up costing about $100/hour, and most dealership shops will insist on this even when you're certain what the problem is and what needs to be replaced.

You really need to go back into the S197's history of water leaks and the mysterious electrical gremlins tied to water intrusion into the Smart Junction Box, before making any claims of superior reliability through fancier tech.

Needless complexity is another issue. Since when should car mfrs cater to people so unwilling to have to dig a flat metal key out of their pocket and turn it in a slot to start their car? Or to have to physically push a fob button or use the same flat metal key to unlock the doors? Or touchscreens . . . in a moving possibly bouncing vehicle? Seriously? Welcome to vanity central and tech for the sake of tech regardless of suitability. Feature creep has become a disease, not evolution.

Norm

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Needless complexity is another issue. Since when should car mfrs cater to people so unwilling to have to dig a flat metal key out of their pocket and turn it in a slot to start their car? Or to have to physically push a fob button or use the same flat metal key to unlock the doors? Or touchscreens . . . in a moving possibly bouncing vehicle? Seriously? Welcome to vanity central and tech for the sake of tech regardless of suitability. Feature creep has become a disease, not evolution.

Norm
While I agree, people buy these options and that's why all this fancy stuff is here. I personally don't want the digital dash and am happy with analog gauges. That being said I expect this will be a big seller. All of this tech sells and as long as it sells, they are more than happy to take our money. I do think it's funny that people bitch about how much cars cost but at the same time always want the next big thing.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One of the issues is that when things do break, the reasons that they break are more difficult to diagnose and the repairs tend to be replacement of whole assemblies rather than the individual component that did fail. Diagnosis generally ends up costing about $100/hour, and most dealership shops will insist on this even when you're certain what the problem is and what needs to be replaced.

You really need to go back into the S197's history of water leaks and the mysterious electrical gremlins tied to water intrusion into the Smart Junction Box, before making any claims of superior reliability through fancier tech.

Norm
I'm not saying every piece of tech makes things more reliable or that it never has its problems. Anecdotes don't do much for me. It's pretty objectively clear looking at the big picture of data (ex: the history of things like JD Power reliability studies) how cars have become steadily less problematic over time despite more and more tech and "complexity". It may be true that when certain things break, they are more expensive to fix than they used to be, but at worst, those two issues cancel each other out.

Personally, I kind of like when things move forward vs stagnating because of fear of change.

And on that note, if you don't see the value in keyless entry and ignition, then we're at an impasse... but given that it won't be long until cars are all driving themselves, anyways, (and soon after which, individual consumer car ownership itself will become obsolete) these discussions are ultimately kind of moot.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself

Norm
Careful Norm your starting to sound like the angry old man on the porch complaining about everything...

If you are arguing that keyless entry and push button start and touch screens are needless complexity and that car manufacturers are silly for giving this tech to its customers i would say that you really don't understand whats going on in the consumer world right now.

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Careful Norm your starting to sound like the angry old man on the porch complaining about everything...

If you are arguing that keyless entry and push button start and touch screens are needless complexity and that car manufacturers are silly for giving this tech to its customers i would say that you really don't understand whats going on in the consumer world right now.
Yeah, claiming there's anything wrong with preferring the ease and convenience that technology (such as keyless entry/ignition) brings is pretty luddite-esque... Something I see a little to much of for my liking on car boards these day.

NavyChief122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I love it. I doubt you will be able to put one in the 15-17 my

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
Glad they went digital. That being said, the entire setup I"m not really a fan of.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
If that silvery outline is the outline around the base instrument panel, let's all hoe that the new arrangement fills up the base IP area better than these pictures are showing. It's way too small as shown ↓↓↓

attachment.jpg

There should still be enough time to fix it if it isn't.

Norm

The outline is the outer edges of the cylinder. There is no unused screen space in these pictures. You are misinterpreting the cylinder for screen area.

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
I love it. I doubt you will be able to put one in the 15-17 my
I wouldn't say that I doubt it. At first glance at least the slot that the module fits in looks to be the same size and these types of things typically are plug and play with a little bit of programming. When BMW switched to a similar style of gauge on the 5/6 series and the x5, tons of people on the BMW forums were able to retrofit it with relative ease.
Sponsored