Sponsored

Anyone using new Barton Hybrid 3 Shifter on GT?

g2ney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
This is relatively a new product and Bill at CJPP loves how it feels per the installation video. I was hoping to get more opinion from people who's using it.

1. How long did it take for you to install? I'll have to give a shot to my local shop to install them. I am also doing the exhaust job so might be easier to install with exhaust taken off.
2. I am thinking body mount - if you have the body mounted, how's the NVH compared to stock? I already have NVH from stock shifter at second gear in low rpm.
3. Did you get rid of that clunk feeling between first and second shifts? Also the disconnected feeling between gears due to the reverse lockout collar gets in the way and "ticks"?
4. How stiff between each shifts? Considerably much more effort needed?

Thank you!!
Sponsored

duke107628

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jiyang
Vehicle(s)
2016 White Mustang GT PP
This is relatively a new product and Bill at CJPP loves how it feels per the installation video. I was hoping to get more opinion from people who's using it.

1. How long did it take for you to install? I'll have to give a shot to my local shop to install them. I am also doing the exhaust job so might be easier to install with exhaust taken off.
2. I am thinking body mount - if you have the body mounted, how's the NVH compared to stock? I already have NVH from stock shifter at second gear in low rpm.
3. Did you get rid of that clunk feeling between first and second shifts? Also the disconnected feeling between gears due to the reverse lockout collar gets in the way and "ticks"?

Thank you!!
I have the exact same question! lol

mibairho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, FP Roush S/C

Thank you!!

I had it installed yesterday by my local performance shop on my 2016 Mustang GT PP with Ford Performance Roush Supercharger. The shop said it was a pain in the butt to install. They had to watch the videos because no instructions were included. It took them about 4 hours to get it done.

I went with the trans mount because I hated the way the OEM had a hard time going from 2nd to 3rd gear at WOT. Smooth as silk now. The clunk has been reduced greatly, but I wouldn't say it's completely gone. I'm not sure what NVH is and I never had a problem with the reverse lock out collar getting in the way or making a tick sound. I love the flat stick on my new shifter and pressing it down to get reverse is a snap (very easy).

I currently have it configured with all the springs in place and it's very firm. I happen to like it, but I know when my 17 year daughter drives it she is going to complain. Yes, I taught her to drive a manual with it when it was N/A. Now that it's S/C, she loves it even more. No she doesn't drive it without me in the car. LOL

I haven't driven any other cars with other brands of short throw shifters installed so I can't say anything in comparison. My comparison is with OEM shifter. There's a night and day difference for the better. Shifts are firm, but so smooth and quick. More vibration now (trans mounted).

Overall, I'm super happy with the way it performs and feels. Shift times are much much quicker! I would absolutely do it again. Plus with their cherry being popped, installation time is going to be considerably less.

Highly recommend!

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
Awesome!. I just ordered one. Was quoted 2 hours to install. :D

mibairho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Awesome!. I just ordered one. Was quoted 2 hours to install. :D
Congrats on pulling the trigger on the purchase. I would highly recommend you start watching the install videos a time or two.

You will love it!

Sponsored

cpelaez1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black 5.0 Vert
I have one and had the DSS aluminum DS installed at the same time. What a difference. Definitely worth it. My mechanic had no issues with the install.

OP
OP

g2ney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
I have one and had the DSS aluminum DS installed at the same time. What a difference. Definitely worth it. My mechanic had no issues with the install.
Great to hear the experience. Did the 1st-2nd clunks disappeared for you when engaging clutch? How would you rate the noise, vibrations, and harshness? I am really going to pull the trigger on this as I don't like MGW's push down reverse lockout thing.

OP
OP

g2ney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
I had it installed yesterday by my local performance shop on my 2016 Mustang GT PP with Ford Performance Roush Supercharger. The shop said it was a pain in the butt to install. They had to watch the videos because no instructions were included. It took them about 4 hours to get it done.

I went with the trans mount because I hated the way the OEM had a hard time going from 2nd to 3rd gear at WOT. Smooth as silk now. The clunk has been reduced greatly, but I wouldn't say it's completely gone. I'm not sure what NVH is and I never had a problem with the reverse lock out collar getting in the way or making a tick sound. I love the flat stick on my new shifter and pressing it down to get reverse is a snap (very easy).

I currently have it configured with all the springs in place and it's very firm. I happen to like it, but I know when my 17 year daughter drives it she is going to complain. Yes, I taught her to drive a manual with it when it was N/A. Now that it's S/C, she loves it even more. No she doesn't drive it without me in the car. LOL

I haven't driven any other cars with other brands of short throw shifters installed so I can't say anything in comparison. My comparison is with OEM shifter. There's a night and day difference for the better. Shifts are firm, but so smooth and quick. More vibration now (trans mounted).

Overall, I'm super happy with the way it performs and feels. Shift times are much much quicker! I would absolutely do it again. Plus with their cherry being popped, installation time is going to be considerably less.

Highly recommend!
Thanks!! Does vibrations bother you as a daily driving the vehicle? Is it audible noise?

mibairho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thanks!! Does vibrations bother you as a daily driving the vehicle? Is it audible noise?
Vibration does not bother me, and I did not notice any noise difference. Barton did a great job with putting o-rings so there's no metal to metal contact making noise.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
we just did one for a customer 2 weeks ago, really happy with it, and seems to be working very well

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
What are people experiencing in terms of install time by a performance shop? I saw one post indicating 4 hours...

mibairho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
What are people experiencing in terms of install time by a performance shop? I saw one post indicating 4 hours...
Remember, this is a new shifter that has been out for a short time only. Reality is there's no instructions included. The shop you choose will have to watch videos. While it took my shop 4 hours, they were extremely professional and only charged me for 2 1/2, including the install of a Steeda G trac K Brace.

I got to admit, I love this shifter more each day. Just imagine the clunk and grinds gone from your tranny. Worth every penny to have it professionally installed.
Sponsored