Hood Latch Fix?

cj428

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R TT
I moved the latch up so it has just a little bit of play when it's closed and you push down on the front of the hood,works nice now. it was so tight when I got the car it looked like it was bending the center of the hood down.

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Sorry I know this has been talked about before...but I figured somebody has to know a DIY approach for this.

When shutting the hood, it takes a lot of force to close it. Often it doesn't bother me, but I had a car show last week where I had my hood open for the show. Afterwards I tried to shut it and couldn't the first 3 or 4 times. Then I had to drop it pretty much from like 2 feet just to close. It was kind of embarrassing.

I know some people stated that the dealership fixed it for them, but the dealership is about 130 miles away from me. and the Ford dealership here in town would try and charge me $50 just for doing nothing pretty much.

Any body fixed their issue? I have a car show again this Saturday and would prefer not to stand by my beautiful 40k car and have problems closing the hood.

Thanks guys,
Yall are the best!
I think you can adjust the stopper or whatever. Ask Zombie, I think he had a similar problem.

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
908ssp has it. Just had a cold beer and loosened the two nuts enough to raise the latching mechanism a few CM, re tighten and good to go!

Big difference in the hood lines in front. They look much better. Before adjusting the hood latch, it was almost buckling the center most point of the hood down and making the outside edges look raised. All gone now! What cj428 said!

Millgeo5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Anyone having this hood issue, mine is aligned perfectly, closes easy and no movement or vibration while driving. The issue I am having if it is an issue, it seems to me that it takes way to much pressure to activate the hood release, makes me nervous how much force it seems to take to get it to pop the hood.

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Millgeo, it's a brand new spring. Just needs time to break in a little. It's at the heart of how hard it is to release the hood. My hood had a few adjustment issues. Mostly fixed now. Unfortunately it was so tight I think it slightly warped my hood. But it really isn't far off enough to get it looked at. Plus, the dealer I went to just spewed out "it's within manufacturing tolerances" and that was before I adjusted it. The body shop guys were afraid to adjust it, because they thought they would make the alignment worse :shrug: I did it just fine without any experience.

after the adjustment, it looks way better :thumbsup: Maybe more fine tuning and I can make it perfect, but I'll worry about that once I get some more miles on the car.

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Anyone having this hood issue, mine is aligned perfectly, closes easy and no movement or vibration while driving. The issue I am having if it is an issue, it seems to me that it takes way to much pressure to activate the hood release, makes me nervous how much force it seems to take to get it to pop the hood.
Mine, too.

I left the hood up in the air, locked the latch as if the hood were closed, and it was STILL hard to pop it from inside.

It does feel like I'm going to break off the inside release handle sometimes.

Millgeo5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Millgeo, it's a brand new spring. Just needs time to break in a little. It's at the heart of how hard it is to release the hood. My hood had a few adjustment issues. Mostly fixed now. Unfortunately it was so tight I think it slightly warped my hood. But it really isn't far off enough to get it looked at. Plus, the dealer I went to just spewed out "it's within manufacturing tolerances" and that was before I adjusted it. The body shop guys were afraid to adjust it, because they thought they would make the alignment worse :shrug: I did it just fine without any experience.

after the adjustment, it looks way better :thumbsup: Maybe more fine tuning and I can make it perfect, but I'll worry about that once I get some more miles on the car.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was a problem or not I will give it some time to loosen up.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Also try to put some silicone lubricant in it or something that may help a little

Magmetallic15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt, 2005 Mustang GT
I have the same problem with the release lever inside the car feeling "very tight".

Sponsored

NLT777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hood Latch on 2015 Mustang

Due to the length of the hood and the positioning it requires direct pressure on top of the latch this reduces the "bounce in the hood" from just closing it with gravity. It is not an alignment issue just due to the elongated hood the hood flexes some what when closing just guide her into place firmly she will line up and fit great...:headbang:

Sorry I know this has been talked about before...but I figured somebody has to know a DIY approach for this.

When shutting the hood, it takes a lot of force to close it. Often it doesn't bother me, but I had a car show last week where I had my hood open for the show. Afterwards I tried to shut it and couldn't the first 3 or 4 times. Then I had to drop it pretty much from like 2 feet just to close. It was kind of embarrassing.

I know some people stated that the dealership fixed it for them, but the dealership is about 130 miles away from me. and the Ford dealership here in town would try and charge me $50 just for doing nothing pretty much.

Any body fixed their issue? I have a car show again this Saturday and would prefer not to stand by my beautiful 40k car and have problems closing the hood.

Thanks guys,
Yall are the best!

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic

Thanks guys,
Yall are the best!
2 feet is bit much, but dropping it is how you're supposed to close it, I usually drop mine from about 10"-12", and it latched every time. Does it look pulled down in the center when it's latched?

JonnyK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium Ecoboost
rubber bumpers were set way to high on my hood. thought I was going to break the release handle. lowered them now I can open and close my hood without thinking its going to get destroyed. however I guess the car had been sitting with this pull in the middle on the latch for a few months so my hood is actually bent down in the middle. should be fun trying to get ford to cover this.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
I had hood alignment issues with the front bumper cover. I also had an issue with hood vibrating at high speeds. To be honest it was a bit frightening! I simply adjusted the hood rubber stops on both sides and both problems were solved. Lowering those rubber stops would also solve the issue with hoods that are hard to close.

Last edited:

hcappie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I have to live with dropping my hood from up high. I adjusted the rubber stops, but to go so low that the hood sat below the fenders. Had to bring them back up or the front end panels wouldn't look right.
Sponsored