Sponsored

Accidental Shifting From Sport to Neutral...

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
I have an automatic transmission with 3.55 gears and I was sitting at a red light and decided to shift from regular Drive mode to Sport mode.

As I was pulling off from the red light, my rpms went to 5k and then by stupid mistake :headbonk: of my right hand, I shifted the car from Sport Mode to Neutral just by accidentally pushing the bottom of the stick and as the rpms were still around 5-6k I shifted from Neutral gear to Sport Mode. I understand that this is what is called a Neutral Drop, did I damage my transmission in anyway? :(

I did notice however after I shifted back into Sport Mode from Neutral, the car wouldn't accelerate and I heard some sort of clunk beneath me and the car was able to accelerate. Should I also be concerned about that sound?

Thank you to anyone who responds!
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'm trying to understand how you were able to shift the stick 3 notches forward into "N"....

PRNDS

So you went from D, to S, then moved the stick lever all the way from S into N while moving?

I do know that when the car is driving at speed, the user can move the stick lever from D into S, or move the stick lever back into D from S without pressing the button on the ball. I did not think it is possible to go from S or D into N (or R) while the car is in motion (or without having to first depress the button or by forcefully moving it).

OP
OP
MustangDaily

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
Yeah I just tried moving the stick this morning without pushing the button and it doesn't work from D to N but it works from S to N and i think it's because it doesn't have time to lock it I guess since you can move the stick from S to D without pressing the button.
Is the transmission equipped with some sort of computer to protect things like this from damaging the transmission? I heard it was for the older Mustangs but I'm not sure about this generation. I think I switch from N to D at around 4-5k rpms (which I should've waited until it dropped but I was in the highway) and I'm just really worried that I screwed up my tranny.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Good question about the vehicle or 6R80 having any type of protection mechanisms in place if someone accidentally did a shift maneuver as you had done in your car.

Maybe some other folks will chime in with more info, so bumping your post back up.

OP
OP
MustangDaily

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
I found this video on putting a car in reverse while driving, the vehicle is a Ford Focus but it may apply to the Mustang?

Video: [ame]

I also found this thread from another Mustang forum, this vehicle is a 2013 Mustang V6 but perhaps the tranny is the same this generation? They said that there is a computer nanny to protect the tranny from destroying itself.

Link: http://themustangsource.com/forums/...al-drop-rev-drop-unexpected-behaviour-520098/

Sponsored

OP
OP
MustangDaily

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
I found some more information for those who are interested to know about the Mustang's automatic transmission computer systems.

Link: http://edidist-public.sharepoint.co...ssion/1040020 - 6R80 Service Manual Rev 1.pdf

Reading in section 1 in the beginning of page 53, the Transmission Control Unit (TCU) is a key player in the transmission's operation systems. It's a bit technical but I can infer that the TCU has many sensors that detect multiple aspects of the engine such as the rpm and determines whether or not the transmission should shift gear or not.

In my case, I think the transmission did not shift to drive until the rpms went low before it was able to move.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Even if it did, one "Neutral Drop" shouldnt kill the trans. Do it often though and that's another story. I think you are probably fine

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
When in S the button is down, so if you push the shifter up fast enough it will go to neutral . If you slowly move the shifter up the button pops back up and won't allow neutral.
Sponsored