Sponsored

Bad wheel bearing - 18k miles

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
Omg This is what's happening to me! I went to Ford they couldn't replicate it "supposedly" I told them about the braking and whining/squeaking noise. They said it was my tires that were dead. I caught them on a lie with my dash cam and I'm actually uploading the BS they did to it. I don't know how to approach it anymore... I'm desperate :(
Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Just noticed a loose front wheel bearing on the driver's side. I have been in there several times over the past year with brakes, suspension, tires and such. I make it a habit to always grab the hub and give it a spin. In putting on some camber plates this past week I grabbed the hub and it was sloppy. I opened the bearing cover and the nut spun fairly easy like the old school bearings you would preload with the nut and then lock it in with a keeper. In gently tightening the nut (prior to reading the manual) I did not notice any appreciable difference. Upon checking the manual I discovered that this is not like the old school opposed thrust bearings with a nut keeper. THERE IS NO NUT KEEPER! Very surprising. The manual says to torque it to 251 lbft. Very surprising that this would loosen like this. Passenger side was fine.

I'll be checking this frequently from now on. This would be the fast way to kill a bearing.

Hope this helps somebody.
Do you mean a cotter pin?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Just noticed a loose front wheel bearing on the driver's side. I have been in there several times over the past year with brakes, suspension, tires and such. I make it a habit to always grab the hub and give it a spin. In putting on some camber plates this past week I grabbed the hub and it was sloppy. I opened the bearing cover and the nut spun fairly easy like the old school bearings you would preload with the nut and then lock it in with a keeper. In gently tightening the nut (prior to reading the manual) I did not notice any appreciable difference. Upon checking the manual I discovered that this is not like the old school opposed thrust bearings with a nut keeper. THERE IS NO NUT KEEPER! Very surprising. The manual says to torque it to 251 lbft. Very surprising that this would loosen like this. Passenger side was fine.

I'll be checking this frequently from now on. This would be the fast way to kill a bearing.

Hope this helps somebody.
The front wheel bearing is probably a roller bearing that's pressed into the hub/wheel stud assembly; it's not a tapered bearing like the old days that you pre-load and lock down the adjustment nut with a cotter pin.

The 251 ft-lbs of torque on the hub nut is simply holding the hub assembly to the axle. If that nut was loose, then the whole hub/wheel was loose on the axle ... NOT good.
S550 Front Wheel Hub & Bearing Assembly.JPG

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I wouldn't imagine that barring an outright parts failure or failure to get the torque spec at installation, that 251ft/lbs is going to come loose. I can't remember oldy time wheel bearings and nuts being torqued that high but I know that that's why there's a cotter pin in there.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
251 foot pounds of torque. Many members complain about body panel alignment. Ford can't get that right but they come up with 251 foot pounds. I suppose if it was 250 the wheel would fly off and go through a school.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I can't remember oldy time wheel bearings and nuts being torqued that high but I know that that's why there's a cotter pin in there.
This is a different design all together ... the nut holds the hub to the axle, has nothing to do with the bearing.

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's what Ford did to my car... Nothing... My car is warranty and they charged me $130 for literally nothing! This video is uncut you might wanna fast forward a little. I'm still waiting on my refund. However, I can't believe what the service director told me. "Sir, I think you'll never be happy with that car because you keep complaining about the issues." (Maybe... I wouldn't have to complain if the job was done correctly! It's a brand new car it should have zero issues and that's it!). What a shame Ford! You can read the description for more info and after the intro I also explain what happened.

[ame]

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here's what Ford did to my car... Nothing... My car is warranty and they charged me $130 for literally nothing! This video is uncut you might wanna fast forward a little. I'm still waiting on my refund. However, I can't believe what the service director told me. "Sir, I think you'll never be happy with that car because you keep complaining about the issues." (Maybe... I wouldn't have to complain if the job was done correctly! It's a brand new car it should have zero issues and that's it!). What a shame Ford! You can read the description for more info and after the intro I also explain what happened.

Go to all of Ford's Social Media sites and post that, seriously.

The Ford Dealership and Service model is broken, seriously broken. I would not hesitate to post that everywhere. So basically you wasted your time as your Service Center did nothing. Did you have a Ford CSR on your case to get Priority over at the Dealer and make note of what has been going on?

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Any chance this may show itself as a burning smell with no other symptoms.

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go to all of Ford's Social Media sites and post that, seriously.

The Ford Dealership and Service model is broken, seriously broken. I would not hesitate to post that everywhere. So basically you wasted your time as your Service Center did nothing. Did you have a Ford CSR on your case to get Priority over at the Dealer and make note of what has been going on?
I did actually I came for 3 issues (my transmission which I came about 3 times before they finally fixed it. My drive shaft that's pinging which I also came 3 time but it's still pinging. And now this issue which I came twice I believe and still not fixed.) They took note of all of it but all the time they couldn't replicate the noise. However Everytime I take the car the problem happens again and every day).

Sponsored

longbowsvt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP magnetic metallic
[MENTION=21493]VinnAY[/MENTION] I had an issue with smelling the brake pads burning after driving 25 or so miles. Dealer diagnosed as bad driver side front caliper and replaced under warranty. My car is a 15GT-PP. Maybe Brembo has a quality issue with their calipers now that they are building so many calipers for all of the manufacturers these days.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
[MENTION=21493]VinnAY[/MENTION] I had an issue with smelling the brake pads burning after driving 25 or so miles. Dealer diagnosed as bad driver side front caliper and replaced under warranty. My car is a 15GT-PP. Maybe Brembo has a quality issue with their calipers now that they are building so many calipers for all of the manufacturers these days.
longbowsvt[/mention]....I haven't found anything for the smell, reason I asked on the wheel bearings, I assumed some break drag but the wheel turns freely, the rotor, nor the wheel is hot like there's a break problem. The smell is intermittent. No tire rub either.

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
Not sure why the wheel bearing would be squeeling under low speed braking. Ive had two instances where there was squeeling going under 10mph while pressing the brakes. I assumed it was just noisy Brembos. The harder I stepped on the brake, the louder the noise. But thats only happened twice and figured it was built up brake dust or something.

n00bkiller944

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0

This really pisses me off. Any follow up from Ford?

cechk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I've read several stories of owners having under torqued axle nuts, this can cause bearings to fail
Sponsored