GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
So I pretty much made up my mind regarding which model year Stang I am going to get (2018) and the color (Lighting Blue) now comes the hard decision.

10 speed Auto or Manual? Before all you die hard drivers out there tell me manual is the only way to go I got to tell you from driving both auto and manual.
Auto has always been more consistent in my 1/4 mile races. The only problem I have with auto is how reliable it is. This co-developed 10-speed auto tranny looks interesting but I wonder how it will hold up over time with the abuse we give it.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...ages/news/us/en/2016/may/0511-10speed-gm.html

I hate to have my new 2018 Ford Mustang GT sitting in the shop because of auto transmission problems - I've seen that movie before - not a big fan.:banghead:
Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
So I pretty much made up my mind regarding which model year Stang I am going to get (2018) and the color (Lighting Blue) now comes the hard decision.

10 speed Auto or Manual? Before all you die hard drivers out there tell me manual is the only way to go I got to tell you from driving both auto and manual.
Auto has always been more consistent in my 1/4 mile races. The only problem I have with auto is how reliable it is. This co-developed 10-speed auto tranny looks interesting but I wonder how it will hold up over time with the abuse we give it.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...ages/news/us/en/2016/may/0511-10speed-gm.html

I hate to have my new 2018 Ford Mustang GT sitting in the shop because of auto transmission problems - I've seen that movie before - not a big fan.:banghead:
I would go auto if your mainstay is 1/4 miles. If the 10 speed is at least as robust as the current 6 speed, this thing will be the bomb! :headbang:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'd rather have the current auto transmission, honestly. Thing holds up and is known to.

It'd be hard to get me to buy another car with the MT82 driveline, personally. I have never experienced a more clunky post-engine assembly on any stick shift I've been in. And apparently it has been this way since the previous generation. Few and far between to find similar complaints about the automatic setups.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
I like my "old" 6speed auto in my V6 but i'm sure the new 10 speed will be a beast. its coming out party was on the new ZL1 (i think) which is pushing a lot of hp from the factory so i would assume it can handle a good amount of power. the trade off is it is way more complex having 10 gears so there's more that can go wrong and it weights a good bit more. the long term reliability is up in the air but IMHO it should be a great transmission. All those gears may get annoying though. my brothers Grand Cherokee with the 8speed auto hunts for gears constantly.

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have never owned any auto cars in the past, always considered them a total buzzkill. But with my 15 I got the auto with 3.55.

I do not regret the decision at all. And I have driven multiple manual s550's to compare/contrast with.

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
check out the 10speed auto camaro from what i understand it should be dang near the same

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Manual in a sports/performance car. Auto in everything else.

Joshg120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I bought my '16 with the manual, and while I do love the driving experience with the manual transmission, part of me is wanting to switch to one of the new 10 speed auto's. It really comes down to the excitement factor in driving the auto in manual mode, are the shifts quick and responsive? Is there significant lag or delay on the downshifts? I think this is going to be one of those decisions that will be best made by driving the new 10 speed auto and seeing how you feel about it

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I will always be a manual guy. I've driven some very fast auto and DCT cars, but I need to row. I'm weird that way.

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Test drive them both.

Sponsored

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual in a sports/performance car. Auto in everything else.
Except that auto will perform better, therefore auto in performance car, and manual in a car that you want to "feel" like a performance car ;)

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
On a road course? Rather have a manual with auto-blip. I can stage a gear, rolling in N, which I cannot do the same way with an automatic. Good paddle shifters are nice, but I don't suspect the Ford 10 or 6 speed box shifts fast enough to not require planning - which you never really get used to.

superdave592

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 v6 3.55
I would wait on 10 speed auto. Read up on other vehicles with multi too many speed autos. Some testers say they hunt for the right gear; delay looking for right one. Days gone bye autos were 2 speed manual 3. Let them come out awhile let someone else be the test dummy.:doh:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Except that auto will perform better, therefore auto in performance car, and manual in a car that you want to "feel" like a performance car ;)
That's subjective my friend and also what's called a blanket statement. You say the auto will perform better. Perform what better? It may shift faster, but it doesn't mean it's more enjoyable or more controllable. But that's my opinion.
Sponsored