Sponsored

6r80 transmission TUNING questions (adjusting shift points and firmness)

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've a 15 GT a6 3.55 with the Lund FF tune, and wanted to get some info from those here that might know, so I wouldn't have to bother Lund with possibly redundant questions. (they've been great btw, so no issues there).

The issue(s):
1) When the car is cold/warming up, the 1st to 2nd shift is ridiculously violent/hard. I mean I definitely appreciate that the car shifts crisper now, but it is to the point of being really annoying. This is at LOW/PART THROTTLE too, when I just want to drive smoothly and not go fast.

2) I feel like the car upshifts entirely too often. Sometimes I just want to accelerate slightly without any fuss, and yet any time it's over about 5% throttle it seems to always want to upshift no matter what. Many times in varying traffic condition, this keeps the car shifting up/down non-stop over and over.

So my question is: can the 2 issues above be remedied? If anything, I'm most annoyed with the 1st, and can live with the 2nd. I like firm/crisp shifts when I'm driving spiritedly, let's say over 40-50% throttle, but am tired of being thrown back in my seat 1st-2nd when just barely on the throttle at all.
Sponsored

OP
OP
18psi

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should add: I asked them to reduce shift pressure in D mode and keep it firm in S, and they sent me a revision that's labeled as such, but the car still seems to shift seriously firm from 1st to 2nd when warming up.

If I drive it around for a good bit and get the trans nice and hot, it seems to get a little smoother and less violent at part throttle.

Is the cold fluid building too much pressure and causing this?

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
I had the same issues when I had my A6 GT. It would annoy me when driving in traffic. As soon as it would shift into 2nd, I had to hit the breaks. I would switch to sport mode and let it hold the gear longer to remedy the quick shifting. As for shifting hard when cold, I got into the habit of letting off the throttle slightly to avoid the hard shift when cold or put it in wet/snow mode. Ultimately I got out of that car due to car accident and when I got my current GT I made sure it was a GTPP. Now the only complain I have with this one is the throttle is sometimes too sensitive when driving over rough roads. Your tunner should be able to smooth out the throttle map and shift settings to take care of your problems or just change drive mods until its up to temp.

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
let the car warm up? Ideally you should let oil and water temps warm up before driving off, at least until the idle starts to drop after startup. Also, you should not touch the throttle pedal after startup, as it will kill the high idle that is set to warm the engine up faster. Also, the transmission takes many times longer to warm up.

RedfireV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I had this same EXACT issue. Didn't matter if the car was warm or cold.

For #1, he ended up taking out the hard shifts. As he said they have a softer version with 20% taken out. I asked him to lessen it for 1-2 shift only but he took it out of all the shifts it seemed.

#2) I'm not so sure as I had a slightly opposite situation. I felt it would hold shifts too long. I'm in traffic more than anything and it didn't seem to want to shift out of 1st unless I got up to a certain RPM/MPH. Can't remember but it seemed to stay in 1st till like 20ish mph.

Sponsored

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
I think I would have liked that my car held 1st until 20 mph. That's what I do with my M6 when driving in traffic or sometimes just leave it in 2nd. Stop and go traffic sucks in this car! Can't really enjoy it. Back to the OP, get the revised tune as mentioned above and see if that helps.

RedfireV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
lol yea 20 sounds like a lot now that I'm thinking about it but I believe that's what it was. I too am with you on the whole not wanting to bother him. Felt the same way as I'm sure he probably has to work on 100's of tunes a week. Shoot him a message though and ask him to revise it for you.

OP
OP
18psi

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I think if I could get just the 1st-2nd shift to be softened up and the rpm when it happens lowered, I'd be a really happy camper.

I'll reach out to Lund and ask

webelevy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Ingot Silver,Recaros, 20in Foundr
18psi, Did you get this resolved? I recently installed the Lund tune on my 16 auto. The shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 were very hard during light cruising. Using the SCT X4, in the options for the tune, I reduced the shift pressure (-5%) for both those shifts. Made a huge difference.
Hope this helps.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Never feel bad about sending in questions or trying to get your tune revised. You paid them for this. They have a support desk setup. As long as you aren't in too much of a hurry and give them the time needed to respond to you I'm sure they are more than happy to help you get any thing the way you want it.

Transmission tuning is more about how the driver likes it to feel. This can take some back and forth and fine tuning.

Sponsored
OP
OP
18psi

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I reached out to them and he lowered shift pressure even more, they've been really helpful.

but also I want to note that I noticed this is most affected by temperature outside and trans temps.

If I drive the car for a good hour, or when it's warm outside and it warms up fully, it shifts way better and just how I like it. Only when cold does it shift too hard for my taste

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Yeah I reached out to them and he lowered shift pressure even more, they've been really helpful.

but also I want to note that I noticed this is most affected by temperature outside and trans temps.

If I drive the car for a good hour, or when it's warm outside and it warms up fully, it shifts way better and just how I like it. Only when cold does it shift too hard for my taste
The most likely cause of your issue is the boost pressure. Boost pressure and boost time are based on the the TOT transmission operating temperature. These pressures are per element(a,b,c,d,e) not gear. combination of multiple elements are used for each gear. Having issues with 1st gear is most likely going to be element A as above 3MPH element D is released and A is solely used. A is also used in 2,3,and 4. Some one mentioned asking Lund just to do first gear. This is the reason they could not and the change effected other gears. The problem probably comes from them modifying the entire table by a percentage not just the operating temp area. The low temp operating pressures are already 20% or higher than operating temps. What kind of cold temps are we talking about here? I know its been winter and some places get pretty cold.

OP
OP
18psi

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting.
Well this is CA, so definitely not "cold" by most people's standards. Lowest was 35-40F
For the 1st 30 min or so it does this, then slowly starts getting softer, and if you drive it for a while it feels normal.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I had the same 1-2, and 2-3 violent shifts. took 2 revisions, but Greg @ Lund got it settled out. Even makes them softer yet when in rain/ice mode. No clue what was done tho, but it returns to much firmer shifts at WOT. The tune file name that fixed it is called trq_truncoff if that helps. The adaptive transmission learning settles it down some with time as well.

OP
OP
18psi

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, that's definitely helpful.

Just as a minor follow up: even though he sent me a new file for lowered shift pressure, I ended up staying on the previous map. At least for now.

This morning the car felt completely normal/smooth. Nothing was changed. Temp showed 48F on the thermo. Yesterday, same weather, same tune, upon warmup the shifts were really hard. So now I'm completely confused lol, because it seems to just get smoother whenever it feels like it. I'll start monitoring/logging any transmission PID's I can find on the nGauge and see if I notice any patterns.
Sponsored