Mustang GT vs E92 BMW M3 | Weighing Cost and Performance

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Love the sound of the M3. I was always wondering if I should trade the Mustang in for one of these. But the price on them is still ridiculous for what it is, and then comes the higher maintenance costs. The only thing justifying the cost is the interior build quality, which is much better than the GT. In a perfect world, I would have the design and build quality of the M3 with the Coyote crammed under its hood, but that just seems so wrong :D
Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Yeah that's what pushed me away from M3, the main is insane in any BMW esp when compared to an American muscle car. I see some sweet 3s out here in SoCal...

thevillageidiot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT premium with PP 6speed
Cool video.

Too bad the results aren't really useful in almost any way.

I was hoping the M3 had the same tires.

Sending to my buddy who recently purchased an E90 M3. :)
when we did the review we the tracks chief instructor run both cars flat out. He ran a 1:45.9 in my car(mustang) and a mid 149 in the m3. Having an equal footing in tires would of been nice but even on the same tires we were pretty sure the mustang would of been a little faster. we were assuming the RS3s will not give an almost 3 second advantage over the rs3.

OP
OP

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
even the S197 2011+ put the hurt on E92 pretty much matching it...with a solid rear axle

thevillageidiot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
even the S197 2011+ put the hurt on E92 pretty much matching it...with a solid rear axle
to be honest after driving both on the track and on the street i honestly prefer the e92. The mustang just makes for the cheaper alternative.

Sponsored

Joshg120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I really enjoyed this video and agree with most of the previous posts. The m3 is great, it's a very desirable car, but when you consider the asking price for low mileage cars (35-40), the utter lack of reliability with the rod bearing failure issue along with other issues, and the overall cost of ownership I just couldn't even begin to justify the purchase of an e92 m3 considering it's slower than the mustang.

I do lust after them and consider it to be a fantastic car visually inside and out i prefer it to the mustang, but you have to take the whole picture into account

thevillageidiot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really enjoyed this video and agree with most of the previous posts. The m3 is great, it's a very desirable car, but when you consider the asking price for low mileage cars (35-40), the utter lack of reliability with the rod bearing failure issue along with other issues, and the overall cost of ownership I just couldn't even begin to justify the purchase of an e92 m3 considering it's slower than the mustang.

I do lust after them and consider it to be a fantastic car visually inside and out i prefer it to the mustang, but you have to take the whole picture into account
thats what stopped me from buying one, that and the cost of consumables. Its a shame because money no object the m3 is the better car to drive. :(. Im glad you liked the video.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
when we did the review we the tracks chief instructor run both cars flat out. He ran a 1:45.9 in my car(mustang) and a mid 149 in the m3. Having an equal footing in tires would of been nice but even on the same tires we were pretty sure the mustang would of been a little faster. we were assuming the RS3s will not give an almost 3 second advantage over the rs3.
Understood, and probably fair.

Yup

to be honest after driving both on the track and on the street i honestly prefer the e92. The mustang just makes for the cheaper alternative.
We had pretty different experiences after driving v8 M3s ;) Granted I didn't get to drive his on a road course, and honestly probably wouldn't so I couldn't be accused of blowing it up. Same buddy also owns a 996 911. We joke about how he won't consider a car without a 5-20k engine failure on the "checklist."

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
Not to be a broken record, but the rod bearings, consumables, and whatever those commonly malfunctioning $1k actuators are pulled me away from it. I love the sound, the styling, and the redline. I'd love to have one, but the GT is just ... so much easier to live with. If the tranny blows, whatever. I'll get another one and build it. No BMW tax on aftermarket parts either.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not to be a broken record, but the rod bearings, consumables, and whatever those commonly malfunctioning $1k actuators are pulled me away from it. I love the sound, the styling, and the redline. I'd love to have one, but the GT is just ... so much easier to live with. If the tranny blows, whatever. I'll get another one and build it. No BMW tax on aftermarket parts either.
My buddy just ordered $800 bearings and bolts (aftermarket to allow more oil passage room), I have a buddy doing it on the side, and it'll be over 2k. Shops are in the 2100-2500 range to do this. Not to mention the actuators, rotors are also much more expensive and the gas mileage is even worse than the GT.

They're irrelevant cars now that I see what he's having to do, and the fact that I'm faster at everything than he is.

Sponsored

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Driving my friend's E92 reminded me of my Acura RSX-S (albeit much faster). It got moving relatively quickly via the high revs but you just couldn't feel it with that lack of torque.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Pretty sure "VANOS" means "empty wallet" in German.
Sponsored