Dealer asking for an extra £1000

RR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Fastback
Hi Guys,

Just want some advice here.

I signed one of the many forms the dealers get you to sign to say the price I pay for my car is £37925. This was the price agreed in October 24th when ordered and also the price agreed two weeks ago.

My mustang is supposed to arrive today from liverpool but yesterday I got the call to say that there had been a mistake on my price and that they didn't add the new road tax figures to that price and the real price is 38805. Nearly a 900 pound increase.

Will I be held to this or can I wangle myself down to the 37925 amount as it seems slightly ridiculous to have thrown that on me?

Cheers,
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
if you've already signed a contract at 37925 I believe thats the price they have to honour

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
This is to pay for the increase in VED, it should be around 880 quid IIRC. Your document states you HAVE TO pay the amount on it, however, if VED changes, you're liable to pay the increase. The Mustangs price went up by 1k to cover this recently as well (however your order was locked before then)

Matrix2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
Yep, its the VED increase, you have to pay it as it is outside of Ford control. I.E at the time you ordered the car may have been delivered before the VED increase so it could not charge you for the future price.

Sponsored

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
if you've already signed a contract at 37925 I believe thats the price they have to honour
Unfortunately the small print gets them out of that. It states that they aren't liable for any government increases in VED. On the bright side the car will only be £140/yr to tax from now on instead of £515.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Whut they said ^^

Purchase price is guaranteed. VED isn't.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'd haggle, get them to throw in a free service or something for their mistake

jason.roberts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
They tried that on me and I told them that I was only willing to pay the agreed price. After a bit of "I need to speak to my manager" they took the price of the bill

Sponsored

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
It was clearly stated on my order form that I would be liable for any change in ved, so I sucked it up and paid it. To be honest, it seemed pretty fair to me. Dealer can't knot for sure when your car will arrive and when it will be registered. If it had come a month ago then you could have registered under the old VED system.

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Me personally I would push back and get them to agree the price you signed and my main reason for that is..You agree this price 2 weeks ago and that was after the new VED had kicked in. They have made the error and as far as you are aware the price agreed is up to date. If it was agreed before the VED date then so be it, the small print comes in to play but it was agreed after. If you can't get them to knock down the price, then get a 3 year service plan thrown in to the deal and ask to speak to the manager if you are getting no where with the dealer, because most likely he hasn't told his manager of the £880 mishap.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Don't mean this to be rude and I may have misunderstood but surely you know how the price for the car breaks down? Not many people hand over nearly £40k without having an idea of how that figure was calculated?

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB auto convertible & Citroen C3
Just check the price list at the time when you placed the order, and then work your way through the subsequent changes.

But I would be amazed if the didn;t charge you the new VED fully - that goes straight to the government. And every price lst has always said you are liable for any VAT or VED changes....

I am attaching the Jan 2017 price list which has pre & post 1st March registration prices which might help to work out the details. I am not sure which price list was effective when you ordered - that is the one that locks in the pre-tax prices.

You can also see how the prices increased again for new orders after 3rd April.

Attachments

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Don't mean this to be rude and I may have misunderstood but surely you know how the price for the car breaks down? Not many people hand over nearly £40k without having an idea of how that figure was calculated?
I don't think that's the issue, it sounds like Ford forgot to add the increase in VED and are now trying to change that.
Sponsored