Sponsored

HELP!! Need Stock GT Manual Driveshaft and (4) Diff Carriage Bolts

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Sheared two diff carriage bolts off in competition today, forcing my driveshaft into the tunnel ruining it, and don't have spares with me. Can anybody help? Trying to get it back together by tomorrow. I'm in Patterson, but can travel for parts.
Sponsored

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
<crickets> :(

had to jump into my buddy's gen6 camaro to finish off the weekend. definitely understand why his relatively mild build is almost keeping up with me - those things have a lot of low end grunt and can use it all!

have friends bringing my spare parts down tomorrow to help me put it back together. if anybody is in the area and wants to see some kick ass cars giving their all, stop by the old nasa base @ crows landing and say hi this weekend!

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
a picture is worth a thousand words:

34387768445_37d28492d6_b.jpg

pretty easy to pinpoint the problem: a threaded (aluminum) diff cover that puts two 10.9 bolts into single shear. this *might* have been okay if i'd hard mounted my diff, but since i have to daily drive my car, poly was the only real option i had (the gear whine is at the threshold of what i can tolerate currently). resulting (slight) movement in both the bushings and diff cover flex put all the stress on the threads and they failed spectacularly, shooting my 1pc driveshaft into the tunnel, gouging metal out of the balancing weights and shaft itself, and rendering my car (temporarily) inoperable.

33578031863_b4b738be9d_b.jpg

nothing that some spare parts and help from friends couldn't fix though! solution for my application (to be determined, of course, with continued abuse!) was to drill out the threads on a new cover and put some 12.9 14mm bolts there which, in tandem with the thick metal sleeves in the bushings, put them into double shear. i've got a regional pro solo this coming weekend, and i intend to do some serious burnouts to test the stoutness of the reworked rear-end, but i'm happy i was able to get it back together and take the win in class last weekend!