Sponsored

Another possible oil cooler failure

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
As you may have seen me mention I have a lovely puddle of oil under my car.
Coolant tank looks like a milkshake and there is oil/collect all over the undertray and belt area.
The AA are on the way and it being taken to Hendy Eastleigh :crazy:

I also notice smoke coming from drivers rear wheel when I got out don't know if it was oil related or if I have a stuck calliper as I have seen else where.

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

100% oil cooler and the smoke is from oil getting on the exhaust.

Monday give Ford a call and ask them when they will come back to you with a diagnosis and what their plan is!

Correct procedure is:
- Drain engine oil, check for coolant!
- Drain coolant!
- Flush coolant system using correct flushing chemicals which only Ford have, cannot get it off the shelf as it contains special chemicals suitable for flushing the system.
- Oil change, so oil and new filter.
- Fit new oil cooler and new gasket.
- Thoroughly clense the underside, takes a lot of brake cleaner and even then it will still have oil residue on the underside for a while until its all blown through.

- Road test, allow car to reach operating temperature, then drive it and then park it on a ramp running and inspect for any leaks.

Make sure they do all the above and tell them you want the car back by next week, one guy here had his done in as quick as two days!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Really sorry to see this, James :(

Hope it's sorted soon!

666mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT cars name (HAMMER)
Pisser I got one you can have if you struggle to get one you know what ford are like getting parts,
It's from my own car so used but no leaks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jimboy2

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi there

100% oil cooler and the smoke is from oil getting on the exhaust.

Monday give Ford a call and ask them when they will come back to you with a diagnosis and what their plan is!

Correct procedure is:
- Drain engine oil, check for coolant!
- Drain coolant!
- Flush coolant system using correct flushing chemicals which only Ford have, cannot get it off the shelf as it contains special chemicals suitable for flushing the system.
- Oil change, so oil and new filter.
- Fit new oil cooler and new gasket.
- Thoroughly clense the underside, takes a lot of brake cleaner and even then it will still have oil residue on the underside for a while until its all blown through.

- Road test, allow car to reach operating temperature, then drive it and then park it on a ramp running and inspect for any leaks.

Make sure they do all the above and tell them you want the car back by next week, one guy here had his done in as quick as two days!
Thanks for all the info mate. May copy and paste this to them to hopefully speed things up a bit. So annoyed this has happened. Just hope they fix it before the end of June. My service is due soon. Wonder if I can blag a service out of them if they are changing the oil and filter anyway

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Thanks for all the info mate. May copy and paste this to them to hopefully speed things up a bit. So annoyed this has happened. Just hope they fix it before the end of June. My service is due soon. Wonder if I can blag a service out of them if they are changing the oil and filter anyway
Thats all the service is on one of these anyway, oil and filter plus a look over.

Stop saying June, tell them you want it by May!

OP
OP
Jimboy2

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats all the service is on one of these anyway, oil and filter plus a look over.

Stop saying June, tell them you want it by May!
Oh I won't tell them I need it in June. I want it for next weekend!

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be annoyed if this happened to me :(

What does this risk damaging ?

Sponsored

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
Wow. 2nd one. Feel bad for you mate. It would be interesting to know the blend date of both cars. I'm wondering if the warmer weather is causing this.

If it's a known issue then to be honest I'm pretty worried they haven't done a recall or something.

Edit* I'm aware that the had to move the oil cooler pump or whatever it is due to the RHD modifications and now it's right next to cats. I'm wondering if someone can develop a bolt on heat shield

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
Bad luck on this Jimmy, hope you get it all sorted with minimum hassle. I can see a recall if this rate keeps up.

OP
OP
Jimboy2

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)