The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
You guys were right ….. it’s the oil cooler that failed……. Looking on the web it looks like Ford are starting to recall them in the US. Could be a expensive fix if they don’t get this right …… check your coolant guys.

Thanks again guys for your advice .
Careful the recall was 350 and 350r specific (Unless a new one has hit!)

You can thank [MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] for making us all aware of this with his 2 failures down there and then whomever (Sorry forgot your tag!) who got hit a few weeks with it.

Seems like it's becoming common, which isn't good!
Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
You guys were right ….. it’s the oil cooler that failed……. Looking on the web it looks like Ford are starting to recall them in the US. Could be a expensive fix if they don’t get this right …… check your coolant guys.

Thanks again guys for your advice .
you might find this interesting from OZ

Just had a rather disturbing conversation with one of the shops we supply over in the UK. Turns out that there have been issues with the oil coolers getting cooked due to its proximity to the passenger side catalytic converter. When the RHD Mustang was designed, some bright spark at Ford relocated the oil cooler moved it from the front of the engine, where it usually sits on the US Spec s550, where your steering box now sits, and mounted it to the passenger side of the engine very close to the cat. Because of this there have been reports of the coolers cracking and leaking oil, all the way up to completely failing and draining the engines dry!!! Ford UK have now reportedly replaced four 5.0 engines, and 1 poor soul was reportedly filmed going down the road with the front half of his car in flames!!

If you have an s550 GT please be aware of this!! It's not a scare tactic or a sales pitch, just want to make sure you are all safe!! There is a shop in the UK working on a relocation kit for this problem as we speak. When I have more info on it I will pass it along!!

MikeR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT Convertible Auto Magnetic Euro PP Custom Pk
I think you'll find that the US recall is for an oil cooler hose issue and applies to the GT350(R) which has a traditional oil-to-air radiator cooler.

GTs have an oil-to-water heat exchanger BUT RHD versions have a different setup to LHD. RHDs have a different heat exchanger (moved from above the oil filter) relocated to the side of the engine block, because of the electric steering placement.

The RHD TSB refers to vehicles built on or before 26-Jul-2016 and details two types of failure and two different remedies.

Last edited:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
you might find this interesting from OZ

Just had a rather disturbing conversation with one of the shops we supply over in the UK. Turns out that there have been issues with the oil coolers getting cooked due to its proximity to the passenger side catalytic converter. When the RHD Mustang was designed, some bright spark at Ford relocated the oil cooler moved it from the front of the engine, where it usually sits on the US Spec s550, where your steering box now sits, and mounted it to the passenger side of the engine very close to the cat. Because of this there have been reports of the coolers cracking and leaking oil, all the way up to completely failing and draining the engines dry!!! Ford UK have now reportedly replaced four 5.0 engines, and 1 poor soul was reportedly filmed going down the road with the front half of his car in flames!!

If you have an s550 GT please be aware of this!! It's not a scare tactic or a sales pitch, just want to make sure you are all safe!! There is a shop in the UK working on a relocation kit for this problem as we speak. When I have more info on it I will pass it along!!
Nice find...

A relocation kit? Ford should relocate it perma if that's the reason! Would save them a fortune

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Oil/coolant heat exchangers are horrible things. Oil/air is far nicer.

One thing I can't understand is why the difference between rhd and lhd in this respect? How hard can it be to locate it in a common place?

If the cats are cracking the heat exchanger, does running long tube headers help as it moves the cat back?

Sponsored

MikeR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
All GT oil coolers (RHD & LHD) are oil-to-water. Only GT350(R)s are oil-to-air.
RHDs have their oil-to-water heat exchanger located in a different spot because the steering rack electrics are in the way. The engine was previously LHD-only with the oil cooler located above the oil filter. The RHD rack predicated the change.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm kinda glad now I'm getting my headers and cats ceramic coated, although I suspect it won't stop me justifying a new oil cooler and obviously new radiator as a "precaution" :D

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
I wonder if the failures to date have anything in common....i.e. have been stuck in traffic for long periods of time and everything heating up??

Rather worrying that the relocation for RHD cars causes this problem and god knows when it will go....fingers crossed it never does!!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the failures to date have anything in common....i.e. have been stuck in traffic for long periods of time and everything heating up??

Rather worrying that the relocation for RHD cars causes this problem and god knows when it will go....fingers crossed it never does!!
Or all in a specific batch?

MikeR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
Read the TSB, it has a cut off date ...

...built on or before 26-Jul-2016 may exhibit an internally and/or externally leaking engine oil cooler ...

http://ford.oemdtc.com/2604/oil-leak-from-engine-oil-cooler-right-hand-drive-2016-2017-ford-mustang
Darn; mine was built that week :(

I'll be keeping an eye on this!

EDIT: Mine's in bits as I'm at Modurstang - I just went down and looked and I can see why this is a terrible design. Is a TSB something we can use with the dealer for warranty work? The chaps here say they're already re-siting the cooler, but that's at cost, obviously.

WOLFMAN

wolfman
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stewart
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang fast back 5.0 V8
My mustang is in at Mike at Modurstang next 2 weeks for my Ford Racing/Roush supercharger/kooks build with the following upgrades as the stock Oil cooler was a worry for me. Steeda adjustable engine mounts – to lower the centre of gravity of the car and let the supercharger fit the engine bay more comfortably.
Uprated oil pump gears – to eliminate the weakness in the coyotes’ oil system.
Uprated crank shaft timing gear – eliminating another weak link in the 5.0 coyote.
MMR oil cooler kit – This deletes the oil to water cooler that is prone to failure on the RHD cars and replaces it with an air to oil cooler for more efficient cooling.
I think Mike was talking to Mishimoto about there oil cooler kits but established that they did not fit the RHD Mustang, what a surprise. He was hoping to have some developments on fitment for RHD but with little results. Hope his helps.
:cheers:

bennno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
550 Comp Orange
Worrying trend going on here perhaps Andy Barrett might be well placed to comment on a recall and / or getting a batch of these parts in to the UK to do some pre emptive fixes before there are a whole host of upset mustang owners in the UK.....
Sponsored