Fix Bouncy Ride

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
i also have these mods and have a super bouncy ride, except the bmr cradle i have steeda subframe alignment kit and bushing support, but my ride feels bouncy i feel like im galloping, but i will check what settings my swaybars are at, is it an easy fix? what is the easiest way to tell? (they were installed by someone else)
You have the rear shock mounts?
Sponsored

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Mine is an EB PP so not exactly apples to apples but close. My experience was just the opposite. My stock ride was VERY bouncy. Just upgrading to the Steeda Progressive springs improved the bounce, didn't get rid of it but was certainly better. Next, the exact day Koni dampers were available (before Steeda's was released) I bought those and got further improvement. Then the Steeda shock mounts improved it even more.
Wow steeda shock mounts stop bouncing huh? I'd love to see some video of that. I have less bounce after stiffening the shock compression on my Koni yellows in the rear. Had it at the mindway point and noticed it bounced more than I thought it should be. Set them to half turn from full stiff feels great. Car handles awesome.

OP: Just got some steeda sways and endlinks. I'll let you know if it bounces more when I install them.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Wow steeda shock mounts stop bouncing huh? I'd love to see some video of that. I have less bounce after stiffening the shock compression on my Koni yellows in the rear. Had it at the mindway point and noticed it bounced more than I thought it should be. Set them to half turn from full stiff feels great. Car handles awesome.

OP: Just got some steeda sways and endlinks. I'll let you know if it bounces more when I install them.
The adjustment on your dampers is for rebound, FYI, not compression.

What do you need video of? Try unbolting the lower mounts of your shock and then rotate the shock up as if it were installed on the arm and going through its swing. You'll feel a very firm, rubbery resistance to motion. The mounts take that out. The same goes for the bottom of the shock, just less so because of how it's designed. The spherical bearing in the Steeda mount allows for free articulation on the top side.

I was skeptical at first before I learned that they were a spherical bearing, but after it was easy to understand why they work. Please ask if you have more questions about it.

OP
OP

dope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Everyone seems to be saying the Steeda rear shock mounts will fix the bouncy ride.

SteedaTech talking about the rear shock mounts: "It provides more positive damper control by eliminating the rubber bushing and replacing it with a spherical bearing. Plus, eliminating bind through jounce and rebound on the damper."

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75567&highlight=rear+shock+mounts&page=2

I'm annoyed :frusty: that I have to spend more money than I planned for the suspension but this supporting mod is a MUST have for a setup like mine in my opinion.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
^^^Yep. I am attempting to get a friend as well as my Ford contact to try them on an otherwise stock GT PP.

Sometimes it's frustrating but just be thankful there are solutions out there. So many cars have a tiny percentage of the parts available or support that we do.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If a Mustang engineer is seconding your opinion regarding the solution to the bounce, then this is a no brainer... I'm going to be ordering these Steeda shock mounts. In the meantime I'll soften the rear sway bar. I'm now thankful that there are aftermarket companies offering solutions. As always, I really appreciate the advice BmacIL!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If a Mustang engineer is seconding your opinion regarding the solution to the bounce, then this is a no brainer... I'm going to be ordering these Steeda shock mounts. In the meantime I'll soften the rear sway bar. I'm now thankful that there are aftermarket companies offering solutions. As always, I really appreciate the advice BmacIL!
I used to be a powertrain engineer there with him, but spent a lot of time in the vehicle dynamics world myself before that. I have to push him on it because after they try it they'll have to go embarrass the design & release engineer for the shocks & mounts. :lol:

Sooty M.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP - Guard W/Black OTTS
Give the D&R $100 a corner and I'm sure they will figure something better ;)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Give the D&R $100 a corner and I'm sure they will figure something better ;)
$5 a corner, tops, possibly zero. They could've accomplished the same results with bushings and a different mounting scheme.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP

I know it sounds odd. I was skeptical but willing to try after hearing from others that I have grown to respect. I was still surprised when I drove it after installing and felt the difference. The explanation I got was the Steeda billet shock mounts have a spherical bearing in them allowing the shock to articulate and not bind the way the stock shock mount does. I just know I wish I had done it a lot sooner!

Sponsored

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I have stock shocks and springs. The bounce (or jounce) got substantially worse with the CB005 and rear LCA bearings. It feels like it happened because these mods reduce the play in the suspension (to reduce wheel hop) by binding the cradle to the body (correct me if I'm wrong). So you get better rear feel and traction but more bounce. It jiggles me. These mods are not a free lunch.

I hear as other people mentioned, the solution lies in the Steeda rear shock mounts and better damping.
I am assuming the bounce is not happening because of the bump stops, which doesnt seem to be the case here. Also, another source of bounce is shocks and springs combo. Doesnt seem to be the case here either.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have stock shocks and springs. The bounce (or jounce) got substantially worse with the CB005 and rear LCA bearings. It feels like it happened because these mods reduce the play in the suspension (to reduce wheel hop) by binding the cradle to the body (correct me if I'm wrong). So you get better rear feel and traction but more bounce. It jiggles me. These mods are not a free lunch.

I hear as other people mentioned, the solution lies in the Steeda rear shock mounts and better damping.
I am assuming the bounce is not happening because of the bump stops, which doesnt seem to be the case here. Also, another source of bounce is shocks and springs combo. Doesnt seem to be the case here either.
Yeah basically what happened is that you took almost all the deflection of rubber from the lower members (subframe and control arms) out. That rubber took some energy out of binding the damper at the mounts. With high frequency and low displacement inputs, the shock shaft barely moves, and it's all the rubber in the mounts, which is a poorly damped spring essentially. Once you allow the shock to articulate freely with the suspension, you actually let it damp the suspension. Adding a bearing in the lower joint at the arm would improve things further still.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sun'd

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
Yeah basically what happened is that you took almost all the deflection of rubber from the lower members (subframe and control arms) out. That rubber took some energy out of binding the damper at the mounts. With high frequency and low displacement inputs, the shock shaft barely moves, and it's all the rubber in the mounts, which is a poorly damped spring essentially. Once you allow the shock to articulate freely with the suspension, you actually let it damp the suspension. Adding a bearing in the lower joint at the arm would improve things further still.
wish i had your knowledge, itll make modding much easier!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase