Sponsored

First oil change and break in for GT

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
Hi! I've been informed my GT is on the way to be delivered, and I was wondering when does Ford recommend the first oil change and if there is any recommended break in procedure. Also what kind of oil does it use?

Thanks!
Sponsored

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Zero break in.

First oil change is 10k miles or 15k kms.

From memory oil is 5w-20

Once warmed up, mine got the beans from day one.

OP
OP

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
Zero break in.

First oil change is 10k miles or 15k kms.

From memory oil is 5w-20

Once warmed up, mine got the beans from day one.
Alright thanks. I saw a few other threads saying the GT comes with some sort of break in oil and it should be changed at around 1500 km. Not true I guess?

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Indeed, not true.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Your engine will suffer the most wear in the first 100 miles and the last 100 miles of it's life. The bit in the middle results in very little wear. The bit at the end is terminal so don't worry too much about it.
So let's assume Ford recommends 10k oil changes to cover normal use when low wear is taking place... would it be prudent to change the oil after say 500km to get all the small bits of metal out? Personally I believe so.

Sponsored

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
You certainly arent going to harm it by changing the oil at 500km, but I dont lose any sleep about not doing it.

Just imagine how carefully all those chaps driving the car on/off the trains etc treated it for the first 20km ;)

OP
OP

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
You certainly arent going to harm it by changing the oil at 500km, but I dont lose any sleep about not doing it.

Just imagine how carefully all those chaps driving the car on/off the trains etc treated it for the first 20km ;)
That did wonders for my peace of mind :)

OP
OP

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
I'm at 8500 kms now and the oil life is at 15%. Is this normal? I assume I will be changing it at around 10k kms. Thought it would last until 15k kms.

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure they are careful enough, there are speed limits, people can be fired for recklessnes and they get into a new car every minute, not worth the risk of getting into trouble with a unfamiliar car.

Sure they aren't feathered onto the trains/ships but at least I doubt they will WOT the cars onto the trains/ships. Nothing that would be considered crazy at least.

I mean if you can spare it to change oil at ~500km why not ? Especially if that first 20km(prolly closer to 3-8km) is as crazy as you say. Even if it's just for peace of mind.

Nvr2mucHP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Roush Warrior
There IS a break-in procedure. It's in the manual. 1k miles, no WOT, no redline runs, don't labor the motor, no towing. Vary your speed and load on the motor, and avoid short trips where the engine doesn't get to operating temp.

"Hard" break-ins are snake oil. There is a reason that the worlds premiere sports cars all recommend a break-in; hell, Lexus breaks the LFA motor in on a bench before it ever goes in the car... why would they bother if it wasn't necessary?

The oil change on the other hand... I do it, and to each his own, but why wouldn't you if you can afford it?

Sponsored

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
I'm at 8500 kms now and the oil life is at 15%. Is this normal? I assume I will be changing it at around 10k kms. Thought it would last until 15k kms.
I called the dealer 2 weeks ago. Service dept said change at 8,000 km. I'm at 7,700km so am scheduling my change for this weekend

Call your dealer and check

EstMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT, 2011 Alfa Romeo 159 SW TBI TI
Mine is at 9500 km and shows oil life at 15% as well. The probable answer from Ford would be that actual life expectancy of oil would depend on your driving circumstances...

OP
OP

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
Changed the oil then at around 9500 kms, now I've done about 3000 kms more, oil life is at 65%. Either I'm driving too hard or these cars need oil changes far more often than they should. Service and oil change was surprisingly cheap! Paid about 160 eur, don't remember that last time I paid less than 500 for my other cars.

Should I also check the oil level from time to time? Does it have an indicator if the oil gets too low? I've been reading on the forums and I understand these cars use a little bit of oil especially when new. Never crossed my mind to physically check the oil dipstick, assumed an indicator would light up if you need to add any.

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
I changed oil at 15000 kms and didn't had a low oil warning.. and at the opposite I paid 230 eur for the first service check (that was only oil and filter change).. never paid so much for an oil change :)
I did the second oil change at 30000 kms without any warning (at the time I didn't know where to check the %). Avoiding the ford dealer's service, I paid only 75 eur.. that's a fair price!

OP
OP

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
But is it normal to have to change oil so soon? Service manual says 1 year or 15k km. My car is neither 1 year old nor at 15k km. Indicator for oil change came on at 4 months and 9500 km.
Sponsored