Sponsored

Alternative to snow foam?

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had a professional detailer come to work the other week (not for my car, but for an old Triumph TR6 we needed cleaning up). I've never been HEAVILY into detailing as my car is a DD and it never stays clean for long, so I don't see the value in putting all the money and effort in making it look pristine for (at best) 5 working days!

I was able to spend a bit of time with the detailer, who was a Swissvax agent, and decided to take his advice over the bewildering amount of info that is out there on the net. He was using an all purpose cleaner called Koch-Chemie Green Star and given that the car is only a year old he recommended this to clean the car followed by a decent wax.

To my surprise he told me that they get there stock from Halford's (online) as it is as cheap as anywhere at just over £5 a litre. A litre goes a long way as it is super concentrated.

I did a bit of research and it seems that the Koch-Chemie products are relatively new to the market but it seems to be getting good reviews.

So... up until now, my procedure has been snow foam, followed by shampoo with wash mit, then wax. I've never been very impressed with snow foam which, in my experience, only shifts loose dirt so I abandoned this step in favour of the Green Star, applied via pressure sprayer, then THOROUGHLY rinsed off with the power washer.

I have to say, I was MASSIVELY impressed with the Green Star over snow foam. It broke down and shifted everything but the most stubborn bits of tyre rubber and the odd baked on insect with no effort whatsoever, by which I mean literally a couple of spots no bigger than 1mm each. In fact my car now looks the cleanest it has ever looked since it was new!

The only worry which is in the back of my mind is that the Green Star is very alkaline (around ph 12.5) but given I got great results with the minimum concentration of 30:1 coupled with a THOROUGH rinse I felt reasonably comfortable with this. I don't know how it compares to the ph levels of other cleaners and therefore if I should be worried at all.

What does anyone else think?

By the way, his recommendation for wax was Swissvax Onyx, which I was also surprised to lean was about £27 and a good application should last 6-8 months. What he didn't tell me was that £27 only got you a 30ml pot! Probably about enough to do the bonnet.
Sponsored

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
Snowfoam works a treat for me. It's ph neutral which means it's not going to mess with applied protection.

I used chemical guys applied with a proper snow foam lance. I leave it on for 10mins and it really works for me. You can see the dirt trapped in the foam due to discolouration. I then rinse car thoroughly. Then 2BM and job done. I have a heated blower which I use to dry if I really want to be anal about it but I rarely am now due to time.

I will always recommend Ph neutral products. You can't go wrong. I'm not an expert but 12.5 is very very alkaline. Considering wax coatings are extremely thin and even if diluted and left on paintwork for 10 mins, I can't imagine it being too good.

My advice would be to clarify the ph rating when diluted. For wax, look at dodo juice. I use the purple haze pro for my black metallic BMW. Results are amazing. It smells nice too. Their ferrous iron remover is second to none in my opinion. It's fantastic. 60pounds for 5 litres but totally worth it. Smells like crap but again. Ph neutral.

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
Water is ph neutral so time you get acid to neutral without. Alkali there is no acid left

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang | V8 | Grabber Blue