Sponsored

And it just got its own section!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
What did the last Mach 1 have that the GT didn't? More horsepower? A lighter log in the back? Honestly, unless it comes with the flat-plane crank and wheels that weigh half as much as the stock PP wheels, I don't care.
Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
A shaker scoop induction system, a 4.6L DOHC engine with more low-end torque, cosmetic updates. As cool as an FPC engine is, I don't see it in the character for this car. The shaker made the '03-'04 versions.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
What did the last Mach 1 have that the GT didn't? More horsepower? A lighter log in the back? Honestly, unless it comes with the flat-plane crank and wheels that weigh half as much as the stock PP wheels, I don't care.
The last Mach 1 had a completely different engine from the 2 valve GT.

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
As much as I liked the shaker hood on the 69-70 as well as the 03-04, I think that's 6g body lends itself better to the NACA ducts on the 71-73 body. Or how about a modern take on a hood feature?

Sponsored

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
A Mach 1 S550 will be more than just a cosmetic , based on its overall Ford history. No "just badges" with this next version. Once this model is shown, my 2015 GT will yield on trade in. Speculation on this is sweet. All that said, 2018 release if Ford stays its course with S550. It would have been shown before the NYC car show in my opinion. I do not see this special version being shown in April 2016.:gossip:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The '03 Mach 1 was basically a pre-Terminator Cobra minus IRS but with a fake scoop.

It was a bad machine. Existing at the same time as the Terminator, it was basically "cobra Lite."

Better than the GT but not Terminator territory.

Unless the ttv6 is used or the Mach assumes gt350 duties, it's interesting to see where this car slots on the totem pole between the v8 GT, v8 350, and the v8 500 replacement.

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
The '03 Mach 1 was basically a pre-Terminator Cobra minus IRS but with a fake scoop.

It was a bad machine. Existing at the same time as the Terminator, it was basically "cobra Lite."

Better than the GT but not Terminator territory.

Unless the ttv6 is used or the Mach assumes gt350 duties, it's interesting to see where this car slots on the totem pole between the v8 GT, v8 350, and the v8 500 replacement.
I believe the 03, 04 shaker hood scoop was not "fake". Whether or not it added a lot of performance versus the non shaker hood is debatable at the least, but I'm sure somewhere, someone did some testing and knows the facts.:gossip::cheers:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I believe the 03, 04 shaker hood scoop was not "fake". Whether or not it added a lot of performance versus the non shaker hood is debatable at the least, but I'm sure somewhere, someone did some testing and knows the facts.:gossip::cheers:
Fair enough. The little straw that connects the scoop to the air box does transfer air. So it does possibly gain some benefit.

But you are correct. My non-functional comment was unintentionally misleading and incorrect.

The Mach 1 was pretty cool when it came out. Unfortunately it happened to be the same time as the SVT Cobra. That car was considered insane when it came out. The Mach 1 was superior to the N/A Cobras before it.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
One of the engineers told me they did drag strip testing with scoop blocked and unblocked. They were able to see an extra 1-2 mph and a .2 sec time reduction. They did these checks at a drag strip on the same day. The ram air effect started at around 80 mph.

Sponsored

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
I spoke to a Ford engineer back in 2003 who worked on the Mach 1 and was told that above 80 mph the Shaker scoop was good for about 20hp.

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
A lot of love and performance engineering went in to the Mach 1, much of it unseen. Lowered springs, Brembo brakes, Tokico shocks and struts as well as deeper gearing that a regular GT and subframe connectors as well as an underbody brace made for s structurally superior car with racing aspirations. The designer of the Mach 1, Scott Hoag, was a racer as well as a vintage Mach 1 owner. The aluminum DOHC engine had unique cams making it more tractable that the earlier Cobras. Unique seat covers, dash trim, gauges, pedal trim, shifter ball, wheels and front lip spoiler all make it a great package, probably the best normally aspirated SN95 built. The shaker is just icing on the cake, and it certainly gets attention, even over 12 or 13 years on.

But Tony and 5OB already knew that...

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I will always regret trading in my '03 TR Mach 1, every day until I get it, or another one at some point.

87IROCZOWNER69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost and 1987 IROC-Z
I hope they hold out on making the Mach 1 until 2018....because that's when my lease is up and hopefully I'm in a situation to upgrade.
Sponsored