long oil change!!! 8000+ miles

m6pwr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pkg,Recaros
FWIW I plan on doing likewise: 5k for factory fill, then 7.5k, then 10k (if the 7.5 shows good results), and I'll post all the uoa's here.

Sooner or later, with Ford's global marketing of the Mustang, we may start to see regular posts from euro owners. I'm new to Mustangs and American Muscle, but I've been on BMW and VW forums for a long time. VW in particular has a very active and vocal group of owners in Europe that post regularly on the VW forums, and many of them post their uoa's along with posts concerning oil change intervals. Inevitably, they are amazed and more often bemused with our passion (obsession?) with early and frequent oil changes. Where the pretty much standard oem oil change interval for syn oil in the US for BMW/VW (and I believe for Porsche and MB) is 10k, the euro owners regularly do around 18k (30k klm) for the same model car, same drive train, same oil. And when the euro VW and BMW owners post uoa's, they show perfectly acceptable results. There was one memorable VW owner who used his TDI sportwagen in a courier service in Paris who did oil changes at roughly 50k klm (30k mi) intervals. He posted a uoa done at around 27,000 mi. Yes, the wear metals were high but they were still within acceptable limits - and IIRC he had something like 120k miles on the TDI.
Sponsored

OP
OP

XT4MNRZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gaurd GT, 401A, PP, M6.
Don't think it hurts anything to change it early, I'm not trying to prove anyone that it does. Just wanted to make sure I'm not upsetting anyone!

I think I remember hearing a factory in Germany during wwii that tanks trucks whatever vehicles would drive into, drop oil and go down a conveyor to the other end, they were just filtering the oil and putting it back in to conserve supplies. I don't know if you can really recycle oils viscosity properties though.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
We are on similar trajectories. I am at 6000 miles, with about 40% oil life according to the monitor. I am planning on a change at 7500 miles and will do an oil test also. In all the cars I've owned in the past, I never did an early initial change. I just followed the manufacturer recommendations.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
cool please post the oil test in here too

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
There is absolutely no evidence that waiting to change at 5000 or 7500 for the first change is harmful. Don't let people scare you into one way or the other.

If you want to change early at 1000/1500, or 5000-7500 later, great go ahead. None of those mileages will result in any harm to this new engine and there is zero evidence otherwise.

Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Most don't go by the oil life monitor and change it every 5k miles in the 11-14 GT's.
Definitely regularly monitor oil levels between changes as consumption is quite common with the coyote. If you notice some loss, it doesn't mean your engine won't last or anything like that. Just add oil as needed.
My 2012 GT lost a quart between oil changes but my 14 GT never lost a drop.
Any difference in how those two cars were broken in? I'm still wondering about the theory that the majority of ring seating happens in the first 20 miles. 'Theory' is go between medium to heavy load on acceleration and allow decelleration from those runs up the rpm's. No idea if it's true. Just trying to see if any corrolation or reason for some car's oil consumption vs. the same car w/ different/no oil consumption.

m6pwr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pkg,Recaros
There is absolutely no evidence that waiting to change at 5000 or 7500 for the first change is harmful. Don't let people scare you into one way or the other.

If you want to change early at 1000/1500, or 5000-7500 later, great go ahead. None of those mileages will result in any harm to this new engine and there is zero evidence otherwise.
I totally agree with this. What I hope to show when I change at 5k, 7.5k etc., WITH A UOA TO POST AT EACH CHANGE, is that the oil was in perfectly good shape and COULD HAVE BEEN RUN EVEN LONGER TO THE OEM'S RECOMMENDED INTERVAL WITH NO DETRIMENT TO THE ENGINE.

I agree that if it makes you feel better, gives you peace of mind, doing an oil change at 500 mi, or 1k, or every 3k, is fine and is not going to do any harm. My only point would be that it is totally unnecessary and will not extend the life or improve the reliability of the engine beyond doing what the oem calls for. My only reason for posting this is for the "newbie" owners who read the forum and who might get the idea from the "vets" that they have to change oil early and more often than what Ford recommends, and they better get a magnetized drain plug, if they want their engine to last. If the vets have any credible evidence to support this, they ought to send it to Ford. They would appreciate it. In the meantime, I guess everyone can make up their own mind and change the oil in their car whenever they feel like it.

As for the idea of "metal shavings", contaminates, etc, in the oil, the only way to avoid this is to never start the engine. The important concept to grasp is when are they harmless, when do they become harmful, and what are the other metrics or measures of the oil condition that will indicate it needs to be changed. If you worry about this stuff, do uoa's and listen to the lab's advice.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
As for the idea of "metal shavings", contaminates, etc, in the oil, the only way to avoid this is to never start the engine. The important concept to grasp is when are they harmless, when do they become harmful, and what are the other metrics or measures of the oil condition that will indicate it needs to be changed. If you worry about this stuff, do uoa's and listen to the lab's advice.
I am in the camp that figures it cannot hurt to remove even microscopic magnetic debris from circulating thru the engine by installing a magnetic plug. Maybe it makes no difference if the oil is always changed at 5k, 7.5k or whatever AND you don't plan own the car after 75k to 125k miles. But because I keep my cars for close to 200k miles (or more if they are still running well!), I'll take any small 'possible' advantage that less microscopic metal floating in oil might decrease it's efficiency 12 plus years down the road. That's just me. And my (very) bad, on occasion I have forgotten to change my oil until 15-17k. argh. If that benign magnet or the 15k mile Mobil 1 oil and filter gain me a little grace for those lapses, I'm happy to have them. It's like insurance. You buy it hoping to never need or use it. Occasionally, you are very glad it is there.
My 2¢ ;)

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I am in the camp that figures it cannot hurt to remove even microscopic magnetic debris from circulating thru the engine by installing a magnetic plug. Maybe it makes no difference if the oil is always changed at 5k, 7.5k or whatever AND you don't plan own the car after 75k to 125k miles. But because I keep my cars for close to 200k miles (or more if they are still running well!), I'll take any small 'possible' advantage that less microscopic metal floating in oil might decrease it's efficiency 12 plus years down the road. That's just me. And my (very) bad, on occasion I have forgotten to change my oil until 15-17k. argh. If that benign magnet or the 15k mile Mobil 1 oil and filter gain me a little grace for those lapses, I'm happy to have them. It's like insurance. You buy it hoping to never need or use it. Occasionally, you are very glad it is there.
My 2¢ ;)
Of course. If you think $20 is good insurance by all means. It can't hurt anything. Personally, I think they are a waste and the engineers at Ford (with more combined knowledge overall than the thousands who post in these forums) would have put them in OEM if they made that big a difference. There is VERY little magnetic material in there 2015 engines; block, heads and pistons are aluminum http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/2015-Mustang-Engine-Specs-50L-V8-Coyote I think maybe the piston rings and a few other small parts are magnetic metals. Let's not forget metal particles aren't going into the engine via the oil, this is why there is an oil filter to catch particles.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
Replaced my oil at 2k miles, will change again....in a year.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Replaced at 3600 miles; will replace again after 5000 more miles.

ero 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt 5.0
Mine is at 1150 miles, and i was gonna go get it changed tomorrow. Gonna stick with the suggested blend until i feel the need to switch.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I changed the oil on my '11 when the monitor told me, 7500 miles, or 6 months - whichever came first. Since I'm going FI this time, I'll probably accelerate to 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first - the ProCharger oil will get changed at the same time.

Guard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Changed my Oil at 8,400 miles... The oil level on the dipstick was on the low side (the last pinhole on the dipstick).. will check regularly from now on..

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Had mine changed at 6k will change again at 11K. Unless you are taking it to the track regularly there should be no reason to get your panties in a bunch
Sponsored