Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Ford press release on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S debuting on the 2018 Mustang GT

LOOK FORWARD TO NEXT SUMMER WITH 2018 FORD MUSTANG GT AND NEW HIGH-PERFORMANCE SUMMER TIRES

2018 Mustang GT Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.jpg

• New Ford Mustang GT features Michelin Pilot Sport 4S high-performance summer tires designed for optimal wet and dry grip, braking distance and lateral handling performance
  • Pilot Sport 4S tires make mass-market North American debut on 2018 Mustang GT
  • Tires available as part of Mustang GT Performance Package, available this fall

DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 16, 2017 – Summer might now be in the rearview mirror, but it’s never too early to start thinking about the next one.

Ford and Michelin engineers took learnings from the Ford GT supercar and Shelby GT350® Mustang to develop a custom Michelin Pilot Sport 4S high-performance summer tire designed for optimal wet and dry grip, braking distance and lateral handling performance.

“We took everything we learned at the track, including feedback from professional drivers, to create a tire custom-tuned for Mustang GT,” said Gary Swingle, Michelin tire engineer.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires have been fitted for some of the top performance cars in Europe, and will make their mass-market North American debut on Mustang GT. Sized 275/40-19 for the rear and 255/40-19 for the front, the rubber helps the car achieve a record sub-four-second 0-60 mph time to go along with its available drag mode and 10-speed automatic transmission.

A variety of factors make the Pilot Sport 4S tire uniquely tuned for Mustang. An ultra-reactive tread pattern adapts continuously to the road, and a hybrid belt of aramid and nylon ensures optimum transmission of steering input to the road.

A hybrid elastomer forms its outer rib and delivers exceptional dry grip to help relieve stress under hard cornering. A middle rib, along with an inner rib with a new mix of functional elastomers and silica, delivers excellent wet grip for improved braking. The tires feature a premium look, using a velvet effect to accentuate graphics on the outer wall.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...mer-with-2018-ford-mustang-gt-and-new-hi.html
Sponsored

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
I like the looks and look forward to an unbiased review.I wonder what the wear rating will be. My P Zeros are only 2 weeks old but by the time I need to replace them Michelin will be on the 9S. Exact size replacement for '17 PP.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Let's just hope this time they don't produce a cheap version in Mexico that drives like crap in the rain again. Pzero is actually a good tire on other cars too if you don't have the bad Mustang version.

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
Is there a 'bad' Mustang version ? Seriously, I don't know these things.

I've wondered why PZeros are so damned expensive, yet by and far they get shitty reviews from Mustang owners.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Is there a 'bad' Mustang version ? Seriously, I don't know these things.

I've wondered why PZeros are so damned expensive, yet by and far they get shitty reviews from Mustang owners.
IMO a big part of the problem is they are undersized on many of the current Mustangs.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
So they say it's 'uniquely tuned' for the Mustang yet it's used on many different cars. So is it the exact same 4S tire you see everywhere else or not?

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
So they say it's 'uniquely tuned' for the Mustang yet it's used on many different cars. So is it the exact same 4S tire you see everywhere else or not?
Go on tirerack. Michelin has "uniquely tuned" variants for many cars (Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, etc...) In addition to standard universal tires. You can see a BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes variants of the exact same size/model tire.

Even though they are the same size, look at the tread width and section width, they can vary by 0.5-1" for the same size. Michelin does a lot to make a tire custom from tire compound to construction, shape, and even small tread pattern differences, so no, it's not "the same tire you see everywhere else".

Give this a read:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...LY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
People seem to love the Pilot Sport 4S, so I suppose this is good news for future 18 owners. I wish Michelin would offer the 4S in a 305/35/19 to pair with the 285/35/19 that they make as that would be a great combination for a lot of the lighter weight 19x10 and 19x11 wheel offerings out there. Unfortunately, the only 305 that the 4S comes in is a 30 profile tire, which is a smaller diameter than the 285/35/19.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
say good riddance to those pirelli poop zeros that came on the current PP

Sponsored

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
^^^^^^^

Right.

And if they are 'uniquely tuned', then why are they so crappy ??

I don't get it.

With Ford's buying power ..... just put good tires on the damn car.

Same same with the '13/'14 GT500s that came with those underwhelming 'uniquely tuned' Eagle F1 tires.

But I guess Ford is starting to get it 'right' (how hard is it), putting good tires on the GT350 cars and now the '18 GT

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Couldn't wait for the PS4S and the PSS's were too much. Went with Conti Extreme Contacts and love 'em!

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
This is a pre-production engineering GT that was in Wisconsin a couple of Saturdays ago. Carl Widmann personally told me "these tires make the car"...so it seems they are pretty hyped about them.

MichelinPilotSportCup4.jpg

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
How long do you think a set will last on the GT? lol