Why no 4WD Muscle/Pony Cars?

OP
OP

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
if a car needs AWD to climb up a hill, what happens trying to go down a hill ? AWD won't help in that case.
When going down hills, almost all vehicle configurations are equal - in this environment, it comes down to the tires. Pointing down hill, weight transfers forward. Steering response is improved, as the weight of the engine over the front wheels plus the weight shift helps to increase traction.

As long as speed is controlled and the road is free of ice, stopping isn't really a concern (ABS is a wonderful thing in a snowy environment).

AWD really shines on inclines, and when trying to move the car safely through large amounts of snow.
Sponsored

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
If you have stupidly steep hills awd will certainly be easier to deal with. With something like the mustang you have to be easy on the throttle to get moving.

OP
OP

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
If you have stupidly steep hills awd will certainly be easier to deal with. With something like the mustang you have to be easy on the throttle to get moving.
Agreed - I already have to feather the gas because the traction control on my current FWD basically cuts power at the slightest sign of wheel spin. The only benefit I see with RWD is that I will have increased traction at the powered wheels, though less traction at the wheels trying the steer the vehicle.

As I mentioned - I have the option to drive a Subaru with snow tires whenever there is a chance of even flurries, so I'm hoping that I can make a RWD car with snow tires in New England work for me :)

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
When going down hills, almost all vehicle configurations are equal - in this environment, it comes down to the tires. Pointing down hill, weight transfers forward. Steering response is improved, as the weight of the engine over the front wheels plus the weight shift helps to increase traction.

As long as speed is controlled and the road is free of ice, stopping isn't really a concern (ABS is a wonderful thing in a snowy environment).

AWD really shines on inclines, and when trying to move the car safely through large amounts of snow.
This sounds like Subaru WRX territory.

As for the Mustang, I doubt AWD / 4x4 drive train components will fit. And even if they do, they would have be able to handle the torque of the 5.0. Which probably means they won't fit.

You could get an F150, 5.0 4x4, single cab short bed. Probably have to custom order something like that.

Sponsored

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
The people who buy mustangs and camaro's aren't usually interested in awd anyway. They're looking for that rwd experience.

You could always get a kia stinger gt, that has an awd drive option.

OP
OP

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
This sounds like Subaru WRX territory.

As for the Mustang, I doubt AWD / 4x4 drive train components will fit. And even if they do, they would have be able to handle the torque of the 5.0. Which probably means they won't fit.
They wouldn't fit directly - though the guy that made Ken Block's 60s Mustang into an AWD machine only spent 70 hours designing the front drive system (70 hours in engineering design is peanuts). I believe for that car, they only had to move the front brake lines and the starter - it is, in theory, possible.

An yes, in my area, Subaru WRXs are king...but they're absolutely everywhere. Once November rolls around, Mustangs become ungodly rare - I'll see one or two per week.

For me, it'll be a Mustang while utilizing the wife's Subbie, or I'll end up with something AWD (Fusion Sport, Audi A5, Taurus SHO (as long as the redesign shows improvements)).

OP
OP

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
You could always get a kia stinger gt, that has an awd drive option.
I know Kia has come a very long way...I just don't know if I could buy one.

I'd likely end up with a Lincoln 3.0T first...though I have a hard time with Lincoln's styling.

I hate being so picky.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
They wouldn't fit directly - though the guy that made Ken Block's 60s Mustang into an AWD machine only spent 70 hours designing the front drive system (70 hours in engineering design is peanuts). I believe for that car, they only had to move the front brake lines and the starter - it is, in theory, possible.
I forgot about the Ken Block's 60s Mustang.

""The engine is hooked to a six-speed all-wheel-drive transmission from the French racing supplier Sadev

doesn't sound cheap though. Certainly a lot more than an MT82.
Sponsored