Sponsored

Smoky Mountain Riders: Need your input!

speedaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black base GT
Hi y'all from the south! I'm organizing an 8 day rally headed to the Smoky Mountains in June/July of 2018 with some buds from north of the border and needed your input suggestions for some rides.

Here's a simplified map I did of the loops and legs I'm planning to do and was wondering if you guys could check it out and let me know if there are some that aren't worth while and how does traffic, radar/LEO activity look like.

Also, if you have some other sweet backroads to cruise on I'm all-in!

:cheers:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15EB3D2T3erU9Fokw4655dQlBnIc&usp=sharing
Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Looks like a good trip. Just be prepared to not be able to cover them all. You will get some slow traffic and you will be tired. I drive these roads all the time and you will be surprised how exhausted you will be after 2 full days. Radar/ LEO on the Dragons Tail is the worst. It is relatively low speed with a speed limit of 35. As a first timer you will probably see 45mph your first trip through. Only a couple of spots that you arent constantly swaing on the steering wheel. Hwy 28 or Moonshiners is way more fun to me. WATCH OUT FOR BIKES, they think they own the road up there. Just be careful when you get into national forest/national park areas...those are federal.

Where are you planning on staying? Im fairly local to the Dragon/Skyway and go about 10 times per year or more. I might meet up with you guys and do some driving myself.

OP
OP
speedaholic

speedaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black base GT
[MENTION=9562]TNcoupe[/MENTION]; Yeah I'm not too worried for our stamina as I organize 3 to 7h rides every other week over here and we are a small group of crazies that can never get enough. This trip is kind of going to be like a pilgrimage to mecca. We will be mentally and physically prepared hehe...

What worries me is traffic and cops... Not that we drive stupid or anything, but let's just say that we don't slow down much, hence why I'm looking for more "remote" runs like the rte 32 snake close to Cosby Tn. I just know there are some back roads that locals tend to keep on the hush to avoid them getting too popular. Those are the ones I'm looking for.

We'll be headed there at the end of June/beginning of July. It would be great to meet and ride with some of you guys for sure so I'll start a thread once the rally's details are locked down.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
@TNcoupe ; Yeah I'm not too worried for our stamina as I organize 3 to 7h rides every other week over here and we are a small group of crazies that can never get enough. This trip is kind of going to be like a pilgrimage to mecca. We will be mentally and physically prepared hehe...

What worries me is traffic and cops... Not that we drive stupid or anything, but let's just say that we don't slow down much, hence why I'm looking for more "remote" runs like the rte 32 snake close to Cosby Tn. I just know there are some back roads that locals tend to keep on the hush to avoid them getting too popular. Those are the ones I'm looking for.

We'll be headed there at the end of June/beginning of July. It would be great to meet and ride with some of you guys for sure so I'll start a thread once the rally's details are locked down.
The Devils Triangle is also a valid option. I just did it Saturday. It is near Oliver Springs,TN.

OP
OP
speedaholic

speedaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black base GT
The Devils Triangle is also a valid option. I just did it Saturday. It is near Oliver Springs,TN.
Yeah it was in my initial list, but I thought it might throw us off course a bit from the other runs if we head out west that much.

Would you suggest taking quicker highways to connect between runs rather than going through back roads? For sure that would enable us to do more worthwhile rides.

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Sometimes its not the destination but the journey to get there....

OP
OP
speedaholic

speedaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black base GT
Hehe indeed, but if the journey consists of being stuck behind an RV or mom and pop commuting between towns for 30 miles, I prefer getting to the twisties quicker!
Sponsored