Sponsored

Hurricane IRMA - Florida Mustangs share your car survival stories.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Saw a guy in a Challenger today stalled in 2 feet deep of water at the Sand Lake/Orange intersection that's still flooded. I imagine he plowed in there and hydrolocked his engine. I've been driving my girl's Explorer Sport due to me tearing up the bumper and the debris all around.

I wonder if insurance covers that?
Sponsored

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
Car was tucked into the garage next to my new Fusion. Old Fusion was outside. I have a hurricane rated garage door so we were all good in Lithia, FL

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Saw a guy in a Challenger today stalled in 2 feet deep of water at the Sand Lake/Orange intersection that's still flooded. I imagine he plowed in there and hydrolocked his engine. I've been driving my girl's Explorer Sport due to me tearing up the bumper and the debris all around.

I wonder if insurance covers that?
Guess they thought it was really a boat :lol:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Guess they thought it was really a boat :lol:
Damn- you made me spit my coffee out at work, good work sir!
Glad everyone came out alright. My Dad is in Orlando which seems to have been spared the worst.

OP
OP
GTRacerX.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
It's Alive !!!

Yeah Parking Garage Idea worked like a charm. No chance for flooding parked in the middle of the garage. The only thing that happened was a bunch of paint chips from the roof of the garage covered my car. Thought it was cement at first but it wasn't. Covered in dust too. Washed her yesterday and did a visual inspection of the paint all around - Not a scratch ! Next time I am putting a car
cover on her. Will post pictures later. On the home front - no damage and the Ford Flex was parked near the house and a wall - no damage. My Ford Flex's rear AC has not worked for over a year, somehow Irma fixed it - works great.
Backyard - had a tree limb I wanted to cut down, Irma took care of that too. :D

Last edited:

Sponsored

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
3-car garage, unfortunately only had room for two cars so the two classics went in there. One of them is the Bimmer and the other is a heavily modified '64 F-100 that I'm storing for my dad. I would've rather left the Bimmer outside as it's only worth ~$8-10k but being that it has classic car insurance, damage is only covered if it's kept in a garage. The insurance company actually offered to reimburse up to $250/car if I got them to a safer place, but there were zero storage units available in my area far enough away from the coast that were big enough by the time they told me.

Sooo, that left the Jeep and the Mustang outside in front of the garage for the storm. Luckily, the front of my house faces West so they did not sustain any damage as the winds were coming out of the East. I put the hardtop on the Jeep for good measure, and I put a cover on the Mustang.

I was super worried over night as debris started hitting my house that my car would still get hit by something being that the winds were ESE and I stupidly parked it all the way by the edge of the house, AND the lot next to me on that side only just started construction providing no buffer/protection. I was super thankful to find no damage the next morning, and the cover even stayed on. I left it on as the wind was still whipping, but then I found it laying in the street later on. No harm, no foul at that point. Can't wait to give my car a good lick this weekend it got dirty as hell.

EDIT: no damage to the house aside from a few busted roof tiles and yard debris, got all that cleaned up yesterday.

Only picture I had of it covered:

picture.jpg

How far the cover blew away, even after the bad stuff was past:

picture.jpg

And this is where the cars sat:

picture.jpg

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Feel bad for whoever put this house up down across the street from me early last week, and for anyone that lived in the path of those flying 2x4's.

picture.jpg

OP
OP
GTRacerX.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
Parked Garage Pictures

Have to say I think I picked a good place. Even though later I realized I parked on the 5th floor not the 3rd Floor. But both West, East and South sides were pretty much covered. My only concern was the North side which had a buildings roof parallel with the parking garage's open space. After I picked her up just had some paint chips from the roof of the parking garage. Lucky no scratches or damage of any kind, just a quick wash and inspection after she got home. Next time I will take a car cover or I can always bubble wrap her. :lol:
IMG_5806.JPG
IMG_5805.JPG
IMG_5807.JPG
IMG_5822.JPG
IMG_5993.JPG
IMG_5810.JPG
IMG_5988.JPG
IMG_5989.JPG
IMG_5990.JPG
back.jpg

Last edited:

Cobo_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Started my procharger install when Irma was "headed east". About 4 hours into it, get told that the eye is gonna make landfall 15 miles south of me. So we packed our 2 year olds and headed out. The car sat in my garage on jack stands half torn apart. Nerve wrecking to sy the least. Luckily, no flood damage and finished the PC install yesterday!

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
My door was slightly dented and looks like something skidded across the roof. Ford has the car for my vibration issue so I let State Farm know about the damage

Sponsored
OP
OP
GTRacerX.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
Parking Garage

Was in the garage safe and sound
My was high above ground level to prevent flooding. If you look at the images from Houston, Texas and all the cars under water there its hard breaking. I think estimates are at 1.5 Million. So all I had to worry about was wind / debris damage. I parked on the 5th floor, a little high for my taste but it looked like everyone had the same idea so parking was limited. Would have preferred 3rd or 4th floor. 6th floor was the roof of the garage. But I only had one side exposed to wind or debris and that was the North side. East, West and South were all covered by walls. :D

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
Brought mine to Ft. Myers airport garage. It was worth the money because what I paid was far less than my deductible!

OP
OP
GTRacerX.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
Where do first responders park their cars

Brought mine to Ft. Myers airport garage. It was worth the money because what I paid was far less than my deductible!
A friend of mine called me and told me a ex-military friend of his said that they park all their cars in the parking garages at Hospitals & Airports. They are build to take a beating from a major Hurricane. If its good enough for their cars its good enough for my Stang. ;)

Next time though I am parking it earlier before the storm because seems like everyone else had the same idea, had to park on the 5th floor right before the roof of the parking garage. :tsk:

Although if its going to be a Category 4 or 5 I am heading out of dodge quick. :cool:
Sponsored