Sponsored

vs 2016 CLA45 AMG

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Anyone ever had a run in with one of these?

I rented one while I was in Florida 2 weeks ago, and although it was pretty damn fast and had plenty of low end torque. When we opened it up in S+ it didn't seem to have the same amount of top end grunt like the GT does.

I mean in the Mustang, I can really feel it pull hard in the upper RPM band where the CLA45 was screaming but it didn't seem to gain as quickly. Which is weird for a car that pushes 30+ Psi of boost stock.

I'm thinking it would take a GT on the launch, but I feel like it would catch up after 100 MPH.

Either way, was definitely a fun car to drive, but I like my V8 more.
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I raced one at the track,he had a tune and tires and i beat him but he was coming up on me quick.He ran a 10.9,and i had a stage 2 procharger.They are fast with little mods.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
My sister has one. They are probably a drivers race with a Gt stock vs stock in a drag race. It couldn't keep up in the highway rolls we did just for fun.

OP
OP
csmaan12

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I raced one at the track,he had a tune and tires and i beat him but he was coming up on me quick.He ran a 10.9,and i had a stage 2 procharger.They are fast with little mods.
They're pretty wild with just a tune alone I was reading they pump out another 50-100 CHP Which is insane for that little 4 cylinder.

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
They're pretty wild with just a tune alone I was reading they pump out another 50-100 CHP Which is insane for that little 4 cylinder.
Oh ok im must be thinking about another model,the one i raced was a v8 turbo im pretty sure.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
The GLA45 AMG (same as the CLA but small SUV) solidified my decision to stay naturally aspirated.

It was fast but the initial lag was off putting. And on the highway I felt the urge to downshift but of course it's Auto only. It started at $61K Can whilst the GT Prem started at $43K I believe. Not an inconsiderable difference and the GT is nicer looking than the GLA. The CLA is a looker however more delicate looking if that makes sense

I've had 2 SAAB Turbo's in the past and I'm done with turbos. Eventually they all break. Although the AMG has a special block it's a highly stresses 2.0 4 cyl with almost 30 PSI boost. Just a matter of time before the turbo or the engine gives up IMO

Anyhow I'm really happy with the 2017 GT and on the highway the fuel economy is superb. And fast as hell when needed.

Damn nice car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
csmaan12

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holy hell i didnt realize they were AWD standard and stock 0-60 is 4.2 ?!?!?
Yeah I think they come with the highest power for any 4 cylinder out of the factory. The 2016+ has 375/355, and the 2018 is supposedly going to have 400+ but I think they're doing away with the 4 cylinder for that model year.

The GLA45 AMG (same as the CLA but small SUV) solidified my decision to stay naturally aspirated.

It was fast but the initial lag was off putting. And on the highway I felt the urge to downshift but of course it's Auto only. It started at $61K Can whilst the GT Prem started at $43K I believe. Not an inconsiderable difference and the GT is nicer looking than the GLA. The CLA is a looker however more delicate looking if that makes sense

I've had 2 SAAB Turbo's in the past and I'm done with turbos. Eventually they all break. Although the AMG has a special block it's a highly stresses 2.0 4 cyl with almost 30 PSI boost. Just a matter of time before the turbo or the engine gives up IMO

Anyhow I'm really happy with the 2017 GT and on the highway the fuel economy is superb. And fast as hell when needed.

Damn nice car.
I too am done (for now at least) with the turbo life. I did enjoy my Speed3 before I gave it to my brother but I hated having to constantly stress about my driving habits to keep the turbo/engine happy. If you want to mod anything, you need to spend $350 on upgrading the HPFP. NEVER boost under 2500 RPM, carbon build up is real, fuel injectors are a pain in the ass to replace, the seals on them are horrible and need $200 upgrade, list goes on.

It was super fun, and very fast when with E85 and FBO, but always stressful knowing that one wrong step of the gas pedal can make the engine boom. I do like that more modern turbos are now twin scroll so you can get some boost going lower in the RPM range.

Hell I was happy to get back into my GT after driving that CLA for a few days. Missed the grunt of a V8, on a stout engine that doesn't ask for much other than general good maintenance.

Reactions: A7X

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
no way a tuned CLA45 runs down a procharged coyote....had to be an E
Yea the car i ran was a amg,just not sure what model but it was fast.My car was running a 10.6 at that time.

CGADAMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 1992 SSP LX 5.0 W/ 331 stroker
[MENTION=9456]Tommy V[/MENTION] you may have ran the c63 amg. I ran an E43 amg 4 times and got him everytime. good runs but by the top of second or as soon as I pulled third I was around him

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

It was fast but the initial lag was off putting.

The CLA/GLA45 definitely has some serious lag, but is the only AMG turbo to suffer that. The 63 V8 turbos do not suffer from lag at all, those things just feel like monsters.

[MENTION=9456]Tommy V[/MENTION] you may have ran the c63 amg. I ran an E43 amg 4 times and got him everytime. good runs but by the top of second or as soon as I pulled third I was around him
C43's and E43's aren't real AMG's, they are essentially Sport models with AMG styling and upgrades. Their engines are still completely built by Mercedes Benz and not in Affalterbach. Still nice cars though.

CGADAMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 1992 SSP LX 5.0 W/ 331 stroker
Either was 400hp and awd auto, im happy I was able to outlaunch it! lol
Sponsored