Sponsored

NC emissions and LT headers (catted)

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So like a lot of people I installed some LT headers and exhaust about 6ish months ago and got it tuned to turn off my rear O2. That got rid of the pesky CEL. It is my understanding that with the sensor being turned off I will fail my emissions :(.

I am not due for an emissions test until 2019 based on my understanding of the NC emissions laws.

I have done some reading today and my understanding of a perm solutions is one of two ways. Either run a defouler ( 1 for each pipe?), or get an emissions ready tune from lund? I have ordered new parts that will require a new tune anyway so I am thinking that I will just tell the tuner that I will also need an emissions ready tune, but IDK if that actually works? Wouldn't getting an emissions tune with the o2 sensor on throw a CEL error again?

Help me fellow mustang owners you are my only hope. :crazy::frusty:
Sponsored

Last edited:

sloppymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
What county are you in? Many counties do not require emission testing any longer. There is also a chance that even with the o2 disabled, that the equipment shows it is unsupported and not truly disabled.

OP
OP

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What county are you in? Many counties do not require emission testing any longer. There is also a chance that even with the o2 disabled, that the equipment shows it is unsupported and not truly disabled.
I am in Cumberland count. Wouldn't the unsupported also cause a "fail"?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Can't just add the rear O2's with pigtails?

Sponsored

Dmacs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
re-enabling the rear o2 sensors, combined with some light driving should allow your readiness monitors to reset to be able to pass. If they don't, o2 sensor spacers may be your best bet. Since you are catted I think youll be fine without them though.

OP
OP

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
re-enabling the rear o2 sensors, combined with some light driving should allow your readiness monitors to reset to be able to pass. If they don't, o2 sensor spacers may be your best bet. Since you are catted I think youll be fine without them though.
Im hoping the emissions tune will be a good fix. I still have plenty of time. Just want to solve it early before it becomes a problem later.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Should be good to go if you get them enabled with a tune update. I had headers on my G8 GT and passed emissions no problem.

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
Depending on your county most as of Oct 1, 2017 are doing away with emissions and going back to standard safety inspections. I think the only counties keeping the emissions are counties around Raleigh and Charlotte.

I previously had a Lund emissions tune on my car and got it to pass with one not ready for evap. They told me it would never set the way the tune was programmed. On 2001 and newer in NC you are allowed 1 not ready monitor.

Sponsored
OP
OP

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Depending on your county most as of Oct 1, 2017 are doing away with emissions and going back to standard safety inspections. I think the only counties keeping the emissions are counties around Raleigh and Charlotte.

I previously had a Lund emissions tune on my car and got it to pass with one not ready for evap. They told me it would never set the way the tune was programmed. On 2001 and newer in NC you are allowed 1 not ready monitor.

OOOHHHHH I hope this happens. I am currently out of the country, so I am not up on local news.

Evilwill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium

Please tell me you have a source?

sloppymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am in Cumberland count. Wouldn't the unsupported also cause a "fail"?
Here is the article outlining the counties dropping or have dropped the emission testing. Cumberland is still on the list to test.

http://www.witn.com/content/news/26...-emissions-testing-requirement-422207493.html

I had high flow cats in my x pipe on my old 2012 GT and my tuner set my o2 sensors to disabled. They showed up as unsupported and I passed the test since it was only one system showing incompatible. That was in Meck Co.

Evilwill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Sweet my county is on the list.
Sponsored