Sponsored

S8 Audi tried to bait me

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Lots of sleeper Mercedes out there, too The CLA45 AMG is a 2.0 turbo 4 that does 0-60 in 4.2. Then there's the V8s.

0-60 under 5 seconds is a crowded place.
I test drove the GLA45 AMG (SUV version) Super fast when the boost kicks in but the initial turbo lag was off putting.

And the auto only was a turnoff. I was an auto driver but wanted to downshift wen kicking it down on the highway.

Much prefer my 17 GT. Better looking than the GLA45. The CLA45 is a looker though

Got baited today by a Nissan GTR. Thanks but no thanks. That thing sounded mean as hell. I like the V8 rumble more but the GTR is stupid fast
Sponsored

B4Sunrise

Team play is essential
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
New Audi's are really fast. Even a stock A4 2.0t does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and gets 31 mpg. Audi is making their new cars lighter and more powerful. APR also provides really good aftermarket for them. Even with just a tune on those turbo cars, things can get really interesting!
Of course Audi maintenance is insanely expensive, the ignition coils go out so often my neighbor has them on recurring order for his A4. He keeps a water bottle in his garage and sprays the exhaust pipes to see which is out. I know another guy with the S4, hearing him talk his is even worse than the A4, these are cars to lease not buy. Both actual owners i know well say they are car poor because of their Audi's and won't get another. The guy with the S4 says his is down 3-4 months a year now that it's 6 years old, he can't get much for it and dumps thousands into it every year. Each time it has an issue he debates whether or not to simply donate it. My neighbor keeps his Audi because chicks like it, however he is car poor and can't afford to replace it at 180k, so I believe he is driving it a bit more carefully now.

Just an update the owner of the S4 donated it rather than get it fixed the last time something went wrong.

Last edited:

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Yeah, them German cars are sleepers. Fastest one I've driven is an Audi S8 and an X6M BMW (0-60 in about 3.7 sec), at my old job at a popular used car dealership. We'd take cars to their actual dealer for warranty work or sometimes repairs. The BMW had a failed shock/fuse, and the Audi S8 kept getting CELs for unknown reasons, but that was warrantied.

For an SUV the X6M is a blast to drive, but man once I saw the invoice to replace ONE shock and a fuse for the air suspension (~$4000 out of warranty) I came to a realization that I don't think I ever want to own a German car unless I win the lottery or something.

The 335i, a car I considered over my GT for its modability, is literally a money pit out of warranty. Took it in for turbos leaking oil, got quoted $8k for new set + labor. For $8k I'd rather pay for a blower on an engine that can reliably handle it, not one with a plastic water pump, failing injectors, leaky turbos, etc.

To be honest though, they're still kind of boring. Even being as luxurious as they are, I love getting in my GT and going for a drive a lot more than a automatic Audi/BMW/Mercedes lawyer carrier.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Most German cars around here are pretty laid back.

What I get the most is diesel pickup trucks trying to race me. Even on the freeway with traffic.

Sponsored

MattZx10r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
have had my 2017 mustang gt for a week. only people who have tried to race me so far are other mustang owners... we look at each other , say whats up and for some reason immediately start pulling .. lol

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
C/D TEST RESULTS FOR:
2016 Audi S8 Plus 605 hp
Zero to 60 mph: 3.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 7.8 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 13.7 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 20.0 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.3 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 1.9 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.1 sec
Standing ÂĽ-mile: 11.6 sec @ 121 mph
Top speed (mfr's claim): 190 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 15
You left out one important spec:

PRICE AS TESTED: $152,975 (base price: $115,825)

have had my 2017 mustang gt for a week. only people who have tried to race me so far are other mustang owners... we look at each other , say whats up and for some reason immediately start pulling .. lol
Same here, rarely ever get challenged. Last week I happened upon a new ZL1, thumbs up and we're off. But almost immediately the upcoming light changed to yellow so I stopped (ZL1 did not).

Then I had a 90's (?) Z28 pull up next to me at a light, we both smiled and hit it. I took him by ~3 car lengths in a short distance, next light we smiled and gave each other a thumbs up. Cool dude.

OP
OP

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I could buy 4 Gt's with $152K. Those luxury German cars are nice, so long as you get out of them before the warranty is up.

B4Sunrise

Team play is essential
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
What you described is German cars it's not just Audi. ^

Well I really rely on first hand feedback and from what I hear first hand a Mercedes is generally far more dependable than either a BMW or Audi. They do tend to cost a bit more, they are worth it in comparison. In Germany Mercedes have a far better reputation than BMW or Audi.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
S8 from a dig owns you. Same with a S7, S6, or RS7.

Any APR tuning and it just gets worse.

Signed,

Former S6 owner

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Well I really rely on first hand feedback and from what I hear first hand a Mercedes is generally far more dependable than either a BMW or Audi. They do tend to cost a bit more, they are worth it in comparison. In Germany Mercedes have a far better reputation than BMW or Audi.
There is an ex Mercedes master tech here and he fully admits they are marginally better. I'm an ex bmw master tech. All three of them are unreliable. Period.

gamatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Of course Audi maintenance is insanely expensive, the ignition coils go out so often my neighbor has them on recurring order for his A4. He keeps a water bottle in his garage and sprays the exhaust pipes to see which is out. I know another guy with the S4, hearing him talk his is even worse than the A4, these are cars to lease not buy. Both actual owners i know well say they are car poor because of their Audi's and won't get another. The guy with the S4 says his is down 3-4 months a year now that it's 6 years old, he can't get much for it and dumps thousands into it every year. Each time it has an issue he debates whether or not to simply donate it. My neighbor keeps his Audi because chicks like it, however he is car poor and can't afford to replace it at 180k, so I believe he is driving it a bit more carefully now.

Just an update the owner of the S4 donated it rather than get it fixed the last time something went wrong.
This x1000. I was cross shopping an S5 with my Mustang. I just could not stomach the maintenance, even if I were trying to do everything myself.

I have family members with Audis and they bring them over and we do the maintenance and they save thousands.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
What you described is German cars it's not just Audi. ^
I've heard good things about Porsche reliability. But parts are $$. I'd rather have to buy parts from Ford.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I've heard good things about Porsche reliability. But parts are $$. I'd rather have to buy parts from Ford.
The only models I've heard decent reliability about from master tech's are 911s, gt2 gt3 type. But parts are stupid expensive.
Sponsored