Sponsored

5th Gen Z/28 vs 6th Gen SS 1LE vs My GT PP opinions?

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
I would add a lightly used ls7 powered c6 zo6 into the choices as well! Same money, you can find one below 50 grand mark. If you are not going to dd the car then get the corvette instead of the z28 camaro. Both interiors are shitty but corvette is corvette and is lighter, faster, better looking and will holds it value. Z28 is an adopted sibling of the c6 zo6 corvette.

You can pretty much destroy anything on the road especially with modes and such. It is really hard to find a 3100 lb rocket these days! Edelbrock has a supercharger for the ls7's and if i remember right you get 770 hp and 850+ lbft. That much power on a lets say 3200 lbs car would be some serious brown color pants all day long.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'd love a C6Z, and it'd be my choice without a doubt...

But I'm 6'6" and don't fit in them as is, let alone with a helmet.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
You do not want to drive a Z/28 15k miles/yr on public roads.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
If you're planning to DD then I would say keep the GT. Unless your heart is telling you to get the Z28, lol!

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Understood, but I won't be buying another mustang new. Resale is ridiculous, and I got a base model PP with 4200 off, at 0% financing.

So that avenue (and probably the 1LE) would be at least a year from now.
Resale isn't bad at all from my experience. I got close to what I paid for initially for the two GT's I traded in(had about a year each). Some dealers do lowball though, definitely worth shopping around.The z28 would be an awesome track car but not a good daily driver.
The new 1LE is an amazing performance value imo.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've decided to keep the Mustang. I will be focusing on seat time for 2017.

Keeping my tires as 300TW summer until they become the limiting factor. Upgrading my brakes to G-loc XP10/8 F/R with new Ford rotor blanks and regularly bleeding the RBF600 fluid. Aside from that, periodic alignments based on track tire wear, oil/trans/diff swaps based on hours.

Goal is 15 autocrosses and 3-4 HPDE weekends for 2017.

Thanks for all of the opinions, it helped.

OP
OP

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
An update on this.

I have another moderate to high level crush on the Z/28...

I'd love a GT350R, but they simply are too expensive. I don't predict they'll be in my price range for at least 5 years. And that in and of itself taints the GT350 TP/17. Knowing the R is out there would irritate me. I just know how I am.

The Z/28 can still put up R levels of performance and prices have held steady for the past year. I doubt they'll come down much over the next few either. Maybe drop down into the high 30s to mid 40s vs low 40s to 50, but resale should be strong on them for the foreseeable future. Limited production, good performance, etc.

I'm pretty interested this time, I'm going to go sit in a 5th gen locally before I get ahead of myself, though.

*EDIT: PFFT, just checked my owed amount on mustang vs total outlay of used z28. I came to the exact same decision. No way it's worth 27,500 more than my car LOLOL.

YIN AND YANG in just a few hours.

Last edited:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Also keep in mind with the Z/28 you'd want to have it worked on almost first thing. The LS7 had a problem with dropping valves, which GM at first denied was a problem, then refused to accept it was happening at all.

There's a reason a lot of big shops keep multiple sets of worked LS7 heads on a shelf.

OP
OP

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Once you throw about $2,000 into the heads..yeah. The LS7 had a small, but very real, failure rate due to head problems..enough so that a major shop just kept 10+ sets of corrected LS7 heads in stock.

Don't get me wrong...the LS7 is a fantastic motor, but GM really crapped the bed by pretending the LS7 never had a problem and refused to correct it.
Also keep in mind with the Z/28 you'd want to have it worked on almost first thing. The LS7 had a problem with dropping valves, which GM at first denied was a problem, then refused to accept it was happening at all.

There's a reason a lot of big shops keep multiple sets of worked LS7 heads on a shelf.
It was my understanding that they fixed the head milling in feb 2011 on the LS7 which caused the valve issue, which means that the Z/28 isn't impacted.

As stated, I'm going to keep the mustang and tinker. Just got that 2 year itch (seems to happen ever 3 months LOL).

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I appreciate the thought, but the last thing I would do to a track focused car is add a supercharger. Weight up front, and massive heat issues.
Lol, its obvious that guy has never taken his car to the track. I LOL every time someone suggests adding a supercharger to a track car.

btw, did you get new rotors? I would have suggested two piece rotors or even a set from the GT350 that some got rid of for even more hardcore track racing.

I would avoid the z28, i used to love that car but it is a track focused no compromise car and still too much $$$ when you can get a gen 6 1LE + mods and come out on top. Not to mention AC. I cant live without AC!

Sponsored

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Z/28's were $70 - $75K cars new. You have '15 models still sitting on dealer lots unsold. Values have dropped $30K on the secondary market for even very low mile cars......while GT350 prices are just now coming down to MSRP (maybe a couple grand under, if you're willing to do the leg work) and 350R prices are still above sticker (with exception of a few "unicorn" MSRP stories).
If it were all about the track numbers, Z/28's would be as hot, or hotter commodity than 350's......they are heavily discounted for a reason.

OP
OP

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I would avoid the z28, i used to love that car but it is a track focused no compromise car and still too much $$$ when you can get a gen 6 1LE + mods and come out on top. Not to mention AC. I cant live without AC!
A/C and radio group is an option.

I don't fit in the 6th gen camaros. Very small inside, makes me laugh at their inefficient use of space considering exterior dimensions are the same as s550, but inside is LOL small. Also 1LE will depreciate like a brick, Z/28 should hold well at current prices.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Car manufacturers may talk track times for marketing purposes, but what they care about, at the end of the day, is sales. Halo cars are not generally profitable anyway, they are traffic generators.
To be honest, the staying power of GT350/350R pricing, over 4 model years is very, very impressive. After the dismal sales of the Z/28, GM spending huge development dollars on the ZL1/1LE makes little, practical sense.....other than staying in the conversation.

OP
OP

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Car manufacturers may talk track times for marketing purposes, but what they care about, at the end of the day, is sales. Halo cars are not generally profitable anyway, they are traffic generators.
To be honest, the staying power of GT350/350R pricing, over 4 model years is very, very impressive. After the dismal sales of the Z/28, GM spending huge development dollars on the ZL1/1LE makes little, practical sense.....other than staying in the conversation.
Let's be real here, the GT350 has been out for just about 2 years. I know you said 4 model years, just clarifying. Also, the 15s are not on the table, collector cars and all that. The 16s, large majority are tech/base cars which an enthusiast won't want. Those cars are available for high 40s to low 50s all day long. The 16 track pack and 17s are in the low 50s to sticker. Keep in mind list price vs selling price are different.

I will say the demand for GT350s is impressive, as they certainly didn't limit production. They'll be producing something close to 20k of them when it's all said and done. NOT a low number that the resale would reflect.

Either way, if you're looking for a track focused car, rare, big power and big capability for under 45k, not a ton of cars fit that bill. Even less when you're 6'6".

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Not sure why you are questioning the GT350 will be produced for 4 model years....'15, '16, '17, '18....that is a fact. Yes, the '15 cars were very limited but they do exist and '18 numbers are yet to be determined.

My point was the Z/28 might be had for $40K now, but it was a $70 - $75K MSRP car new in '15....also a fact and did not have a 4 year production run. GT350's have experienced little depreciation....I wish you could buy a GT350 at $30K off original MSRP......don't see that happening anytime soon.

The '16 Tech cars you talk about were $55K cars to being with......$5K depreciation is far from $30K. A base, Track Pack '16 car stickered for around $52K.

I am simply stating an opinion.....yours may differ....fair enough.
Sponsored