2015 GT Convertible
I wish I had a longer commute so I could drive my mustang more
Sponsored

akfinfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/Perf Pack, 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Didn't really want a V6 Mustang. I really wanted a well equipped Ecoboost or GT, and neither of those were in the budget right now. It was a matter of finances as well as practicality and MPG. I'm not going to get a Mustang model I don't want simply just to have a Mustang.

I would have kept my current GT except the Chicago winters did a number on the undercarriage and suspension, and a mechanic I trust said the rust was bad and that I was better off unloading the car before it had more serious problems.

I'm only 28, so I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity down the road to pick one up when circumstances change.
Plenty of time in life to get a Mustang later. I have never had one and this year I finally will get one. I'm 35 and have had both of my other vehicles paid off for a couple years now. Like you, I didn't want to settle for a V6 just because I could. I have always wanted a V8 and that's what I'm getting. I feel waiting all these years has finally paid off!

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Plenty of time in life to get a Mustang later.
You never know that. You could get have a massive heart attack out of the blue and fall down dead, or trip and hit your head on the curb and die of a brain embolism, or have a seizure in the shower and drown in your bathtub, or die in your sleep from snoring that closes your windpipe.

All of which are things that people I knew died of before they turned 30.

Kashawy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Khaled
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO Mustang GT, 2012 Black Golf GTi
You never know that. You could get have a massive heart attack out of the blue and fall down dead, or trip and hit your head on the curb and die of a brain embolism, or have a seizure in the shower and drown in your bathtub, or die in your sleep from snoring that closes your windpipe.

All of which are things that people I knew died of before they turned 30.

You are right, Jimmy. But there are priorities in life. You are 100% correct that life is not guaranteed. Hell, I could die this very moment, doesn't mean I'm gunna quit my job, go to Hawaii and enjoy life "while I can".

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I'm curious about your rust experience. Is this what all northern Mustang drivers have to look forward to in 7 years? My '07 was a northern car to start, but I moved to Alabama after 2.5 winters and it never saw salt again. My undercarriage was not bad, just a little rust and a couple creaky parts. I also had washed it a couple times. I had a guy tell me that when I go to sell it, and someone sees the Carfax report that its a northern car they're going to run away from any deal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
I'm curious about your rust experience. Is this what all northern Mustang drivers have to look forward to in 7 years? My '07 was a northern car to start, but I moved to Alabama after 2.5 winters and it never saw salt again. My undercarriage was not bad, just a little rust and a couple creaky parts. I also had washed it a couple times. I had a guy tell me that when I go to sell it, and someone sees the Carfax report that its a northern car they're going to run away from any deal.
It depends on where up north you are. I was in Chicago, and the winters are absolutely hellacious, especially the last few years. And the IL dept of transportation dumped mountains of salt on the road every time it snowed, even if it was only a dusting.

That, and it could snow there as early as October and as late as late March. I washed the car when I could, but sometimes it was just too cold to take it to the car wash.

I don't regret it one bit. I enjoyed the car. But I'm not one those people fortunate enough to own two cars and a big garage. Student loans kind of eliminate that possibility right now.

But it is definitely a liability when it comes to sale. Private sales would be tricky. The dealer tried to beat me up on the trade yesterday, but I was able to work out a fair compromise considering the condition underneath (paint and body and interior still look immaculate). The rust damage was pretty significant.

Doing a dealer trade and negotiating would be the easier route for a northern Mustang with some rust issues. They have options; if they dont want to fix it, they'll just wholesale it at the auction.

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150

Whoever told you that is full of it. If your car is in good shape, clean car fax, and it looks like you have taken care fo the car you shouldn't have any issues. Also, with salt you have to make sure you wash it on a regular basis. It doesn't matter where you live. If you wash it after having driven it a few days on salty/snowy roads you will be fine. Sure, there might be minor rust, but nothing that will cause you problems when trading in your car!!!

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Whoever told you that is full of it. If your car is in good shape, clean car fax, and it looks like you have taken care fo the car you shouldn't have any issues. Also, with salt you have to make sure you wash it on a regular basis. It doesn't matter where you live. If you wash it after having driven it a few days on salty/snowy roads you will be fine. Sure, there might be minor rust, but nothing that will cause you problems when trading in your car!!!
It's not that easy to wash it every couple days in the winter when you have whole weeks or longer with temps in the teens and 20s. Most car washes in the Chicago burbs wouldn't even be open if the temps sank into the 20s. Recent winters have been brutal too.

I washed mine as much as I could but in the dead of winter in January and February it was often too cold.

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
I'd went v6 mustang over a focus just my opinion. The v6 is a very good motor.
I debated a 6 or an ecoboost but they had an ecoboost premium on the lot I feel in love with.

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
I'd went v6 mustang over a focus just my opinion. The v6 is a very good motor.
I debated a 6 or an ecoboost but they had an ecoboost premium on the lot I feel in love with.
No, that's cool. I definitely thought about the V6. They had some V6s on the lot. But in the end I felt this was a better decision, and I just couldn't get that interested in a V6. I'm trying to get back on my feet after a rough stretch financially, so I wanted a car that was reasonable, cheap to insure, and good on gas.

If I stay with B of A for awhile, I may try to move out to their site in Arizona. There's a lot more open space out there, and I can enjoy a Mustang rather than just sitting in traffic here in FL going 30 mph.

In 2-3 years, I'm hoping for a refresh and a new auto trans. Then I may pull the trigger on a GT.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I've lived in New York my whole life, and they salt here a lot every winter. Can't wash it because cold, so my cars usually go two straight months caked in salt in the winter. I've owned mostly 20+ year old cars, and have never had a significant rust problem.

Rhys

Enjoying my 67 Mustang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Who knows?
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT Fastback, 2014 Focus, 2015 GT DIB
I had a new Focus for my rental car recently. No Mustang but not a bad ride and fairly zippy for a 4 banger, I think 160 horse. I averaged 31 mpg and I was flooring it everywhere, lol.
I own a focus as a second car. The "trend" model is quite enough. It is very decent for its price. Wouldn't of up'd to the ST even if I could afford it!

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
My commute here in Tampa for my new job has left with the need for something a bit more practical and efficient, so after 6 fun filled years I parted ways with my 07 GT today. I found myself more than a bit sentimental today leaving my old friend behind at the dealer.

I was hoping to pick up an Ecoboost, but finances just didn't allow it right now, so I got a 2015 Focus. Maybe in the future I'll be able to rejoin the Mustang family.

I don't know how often I'll be on here from now on, but it's been a lot of fun talking Mustangs with all of you for the last year and a half.

Cheers.
pics of the focus?!

and congrats anyways. I worked my way up from a new-gen Focus to my first Mustang, but the Focus was phenomenal. That car handles like a beast and it feels so light on its feet. What it doesn't have in power (despite being just as quick as the 2.5 mazda3's) it more than makes up for in reflexes/handling. I whipped that car around like it was a ragdoll and it always amazed me. The car just begs to be yanked around like a dirty slut haha. Im willing to bet (with comparable tires) the focus would have higher cornering speeds than an 07.

When I got the Focus I passed up the chance to get a base model ST and I am happy I did so. I saved some money up front and in gas (and tires...and tickets haha). Was sad with my decision at first but it went a long way to getting me mustang ready. Plus I didnt care after a few months behind the wheel, the Focus charmed me in a hurry. Driving like an A-hole I still averaged mileage in the higher 20's, and low to mid 30's were totally doable with a reasonable right foot. Enjoy it

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
Im surprised because dealerships are practically giving away V6 base models for under $20k that still get 19/28. I dont think you can get a Focus under $20k these days for base model either.

Comparing gas mileage of a sports car to a Prius class vehicle obviously isn't close. I mean sure you get 10mpg more, but that's what, a couple bucks every 200-300 miles more in gas cost?
New SE's can be had a haaaair under 15k, granted with no options.

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
It depends on where up north you are. I was in Chicago, and the winters are absolutely hellacious, especially the last few years. And the IL dept of transportation dumped mountains of salt on the road every time it snowed, even if it was only a dusting.

That, and it could snow there as early as October and as late as late March. I washed the car when I could, but sometimes it was just too cold to take it to the car wash.

I don't regret it one bit. I enjoyed the car. But I'm not one those people fortunate enough to own two cars and a big garage. Student loans kind of eliminate that possibility right now.

But it is definitely a liability when it comes to sale. Private sales would be tricky. The dealer tried to beat me up on the trade yesterday, but I was able to work out a fair compromise considering the condition underneath (paint and body and interior still look immaculate). The rust damage was pretty significant.

Doing a dealer trade and negotiating would be the easier route for a northern Mustang with some rust issues. They have options; if they dont want to fix it, they'll just wholesale it at the auction.

I lived in Wisconsin, so very similar to your conditions and massive amounts of salt were used. I did get a good deal on the trade, and it moved off the used car lot within a month to a local buyer according to what I see on carfax.
Sponsored