Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Umm.. What? :confused:

I'm sure this is great advice if you speak the lingo, but can you translate for those of us who don't speak LA Fitness..?
Bulking is taking in an excess amount of calories beyond what you need to maintain your current weight. So if you burn around 2500 calories on an average day, you would consume something beyond that (like 2750-3000) with an appropriate macro setup (macronutrients being proteins, carbs, and fats; usually measured in grams). The general rule of thumb is that you want to consume at least one gram of protein per your lean body mass (total body weight less your bodyfat weight - usually a rough approximation at best found by estimating your bodyfat percentage) along with a sufficient amount of carbs and fats.

Done right, you'll break your muscles down at the gym (or wherever with whatever kind of training), refuel them with the proper nutrient intake, and allow them to repair with a sufficient amount of sleep. At the end of a bulk cycle (the cycle being as long as you make it, but typically done in 4-12 weeks), you should have made some actual lean body mass gains while having gained a bit of fat in the process.

That's when you start cutting, which is largely done by changing your calorie intake. The concept of cutting is consuming fewer calories than your body's maintenance requires (so if maintenance is 2500, something like 1750-2250 as a rough guess), or by burning more calories through additional training/cardio. Either way, you do this for a period while maintaining your training routines and basic macro needs, and you should effectively burn off a good amount of body fat while keeping lean body mass loss to a minimum (LBM loss is inevitable during a cut).

Do these cycles back and forth. It's way more effective than just eating at your maintenance calorie target and lifting non-stop, provided all else you're doing is equal. You cannot effectively gain muscle and burn fat at the same time, despite what you read or hear people tell you. It's why you see a lot of people at gyms who look the same no matter how long they're at it.
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks

detailz03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
77 Corvette Black W/Flames
Bulking is taking in an excess amount of calories beyond what you need to maintain your current weight. So if you burn around 2500 calories on an average day, you would consume something beyond that (like 2750-3000) with an appropriate macro setup (macronutrients being proteins, carbs, and fats; usually measured in grams). The general rule of thumb is that you want to consume at least one gram of protein per your lean body mass (total body weight less your bodyfat weight - usually a rough approximation at best found by estimating your bodyfat percentage) along with a sufficient amount of carbs and fats.

Done right, you'll break your muscles down at the gym (or wherever with whatever kind of training), refuel them with the proper nutrient intake, and allow them to repair with a sufficient amount of sleep. At the end of a bulk cycle (the cycle being as long as you make it, but typically done in 4-12 weeks), you should have made some actual lean body mass gains while having gained a bit of fat in the process.

That's when you start cutting, which is largely done by changing your calorie intake. The concept of cutting is consuming fewer calories than your body's maintenance requires (so if maintenance is 2500, something like 1750-2250 as a rough guess), or by burning more calories through additional training/cardio. Either way, you do this for a period while maintaining your training routines and basic macro needs, and you should effectively burn off a good amount of body fat while keeping lean body mass loss to a minimum (LBM loss is inevitable during a cut).

Do these cycles back and forth. It's way more effective than just eating at your maintenance calorie target and lifting non-stop, provided all else you're doing is equal. You cannot effectively gain muscle and burn fat at the same time, despite what you read or hear people tell you. It's why you see a lot of people at gyms who look the same no matter how long they're at it.
I'd debate you could gain muscle and burn fat, but only in the beginning stages when you have little to no muscle. However it doesn't last and cutting/bulking is the most effective way of seeing changes the quickest.

You could maintain, but like you said. Not as effective and slower results as in looks. The general rule of thumb, if you bulk it's to gain big o' muscles. If you cut, it's to show off those big o' muscles, but losing strength is a natural thing which is why most people bounce between the two until they're "happy" and just maintain.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Ive been trying to give up sugar in my coffee, but I cant seem to do it.
Drink bulletproof coffee! Best way to get your day started. Delicious stuff.

Sponsored

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
There's a ton of valuable advice in this thread. For someone who is fairly new to the fitness game, I think the old saying "keep it simple, stupid" applies so you don't feel overwhelmed. A few general principles to keep in mind, aside from my previous comments:

1. Eliminate all stimulants from your routine such as caffeine and nicotine. This would also apply to most of the pre-workout supplements on the market today.

2. Avoid all processed foods. A really simple rule of thumb for this one is that if it can be stored in the pantry and it won't go bad, don't eat it.

3. Increase your protein and water intake substantially. The exact amounts will depend very much on your current body weight and your goals, but it's safe to say they will both have to go WAY up compared to their current levels.

4. Don't overdo it in the gym. It doesn't matter if you're following a typical hypertrophy-based bodybuilding routine, 5x5 strength training routine, crossfit, polymetrics, etc. etc... whatever it is, don't kill yourself. This will only lead to over training (i.e. a loss in muscle mass) and very likely injury.

5. Sleep 7-9 hours a night if possible.

6. Many will advocate that you should eat a "meal" every 2-3 hours, however there are recent studies that show eating fewer, larger meals throughout the day is just as effective. On this point, do what works best for you based on your schedule. I personally would still opt for 6+ "smaller" meals a day.

7. Remind yourself on a daily basis that nothing happens overnight. Give yourself 3-6 months and stay disciplined.

FWIW, i've been ALL over the spectrum with regards to my physical build over the years. From growing up chubby, to being a very muscular lean, to bulking up and being told that I should compete in both strength and bodybuilding competitions. Not bragging (I def have nothing to brag about after the toll the last 5 years has taken on my body), but just trying to give a little perspective as to where my comments are coming from.

Good luck and keep us updated with the progress :cheers:

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
Im assuming you meant black coffee?
Nope. It is called Bulletproof.

1. Brew 1 cup (8-12 oz.) of coffee using filtered water, just off the boil, with 2 1/2 heaping tablespoons freshly ground Bulletproof® Coffee Beans. (French Press is easiest.)
2. Add in 1-2 tablespoons of Brain Octane™ to the hot coffee (It’s STRONG – start with 1 tsp. and work up over several days).
3. Add 1-2 tablespoons grass-fed, unsalted butter or ghee
4. Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it is frothy like a foamy latte.

I use coconut oil instead of MCT oil. I use Kerrygold unsalted grassfed butter. I also use real Kona coffee. It is expensive at $30 bucks for a normal size bag but it is sooooo good.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'd debate you could gain muscle and burn fat, but only in the beginning stages when you have little to no muscle. However it doesn't last and cutting/bulking is the most effective way of seeing changes the quickest.

You could maintain, but like you said. Not as effective and slower results as in looks. The general rule of thumb, if you bulk it's to gain big o' muscles. If you cut, it's to show off those big o' muscles, but losing strength is a natural thing which is why most people bounce between the two until they're "happy" and just maintain.
I wouldn't say it's impossible to do both at the same time, but it's definitely an impediment to doing things efficiently if your goal is strength or aesthetic. Easier to work toward one end then switch focus on the other unless you're maintaining. :)

My pet peeve is the whole "I want to tone" thing. If you want definition, lean out! If you're lean and have nothing to show, bulk up!

There's a ton of valuable advice in this thread. For someone who is fairly new to the fitness game, I think the old saying "keep it simple, stupid" applies so you don't feel overwhelmed. A few general principles to keep in mind, aside from my previous comments:

1. Eliminate all stimulants from your routine such as caffeine and nicotine. This would also apply to most of the pre-workout supplements on the market today.

2. Avoid all processed foods. A really simple rule of thumb for this one is that if it can be stored in the pantry and it won't go bad, don't eat it.

3. Increase your protein and water intake substantially. The exact amounts will depend very much on your current body weight and your goals, but it's safe to say they will both have to go WAY up compared to their current levels.

4. Don't overdo it in the gym. It doesn't matter if you're following a typical hypertrophy-based bodybuilding routine, 5x5 strength training routine, crossfit, polymetrics, etc. etc... whatever it is, don't kill yourself. This will only lead to over training (i.e. a loss in muscle mass) and very likely injury.

5. Sleep 7-9 hours a night if possible.

6. Many will advocate that you should eat a "meal" every 2-3 hours, however there are recent studies that show eating fewer, larger meals throughout the day is just as effective. On this point, do what works best for you based on your schedule. I personally would still opt for 6+ "smaller" meals a day.

7. Remind yourself on a daily basis that nothing happens overnight. Give yourself 3-6 months and stay disciplined.

FWIW, i've been ALL over the spectrum with regards to my physical build over the years. From growing up chubby, to being a very muscular lean, to bulking up and being told that I should compete in both strength and bodybuilding competitions. Not bragging (I def have nothing to brag about after the toll the last 5 years has taken on my body), but just trying to give a little perspective as to where my comments are coming from.

Good luck and keep us updated with the progress :cheers:
+1 on all points.

I'm not sure how the "multiple meals a day raises your metabolism" thing came about, but it's a commonly believed myth. Controlled studies between two groups of people given the same caloric intake over different points of the day (three meals versus 5-7) doesn't show any correlation between the two. It's a great way to prevent over eating though. IIRC, bodybuilders actually do need to spread their intake because the body can only process at a limited rate... but bodybuilding regiments are a whole discussion by themselves. I don't know if that's also armchair science, but at least that makes sense.

Caffeine's my pre-workout spike...

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
Think about Herschel Walker and the fact he eats only once a day and maintains the physique he does. Granted, he has some amazing genectics....

Sponsored

detailz03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
77 Corvette Black W/Flames
I'd almost debate that someone beginning might want some light stims to help them get into working out. Usually the beginning is the hardest. You don't have to take pre workouts. I've been taking green tea which has caffeine in it and since then I didn't need pre. Of course regular caffeine pills work just as well.

As far as the 6 meals thing. From my understanding, it's to keep your insulin from spiking. If you have 3 large/huge meals, your insulin will peak, you'll have more energy in shorter burst. But the 6 meal allows a sustain?

For example I do a decent 7am breakfast, 9am protein smoothie (oats, banana, peanut butter, almond milk, protein scoop, 11/12pm lunch, 2pm apple & peanut butter or something sort of "lighter", 4/530pm "pre workout meal" usually turkey & yams or rice, I hit the gym at 630pm once I finish my workout I have a protein shake (scoop of protein & water), and before bed a protein "meal" which is usually just turkey and maybe a salad.

But from EVERYTHING I've learned...
There is no exact way of doing anything. Just a common ground and "this is what works for me and this were my results". Which honestly is more confusing when you get into the griddy parts.

So all in all, I agree, keep everything simple.

Make sure you hit your calories/macros at the end of the day, don't try to have more than 60g of protein in one sitting, and drink lots of water.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
As far as the 6 meals thing. From my understanding, it's to keep your insulin from spiking. If you have 3 large/huge meals, your insulin will peak, you'll have more energy in shorter burst. But the 6 meal allows a sustain?
I think it has been proven over and over that the whole insulin spike statement is false. At least to my desire it has:D

Not sure if you are familiar with Intermittent Fasting, if not give it a read. It is really great stuff and I feel my best when I do IF all the time. 16hr fasting window and a 8hr feed window if you will.

Here is a good guide on it:
http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
I’m all for the use of nutritional supplements but am firmly against the long term use of any caffeine based supps. They do nothing but fry your CNS, drain you of your natural energy and create some form of a mental crutch. Pre-workout supplements are the biggest sham in the sports nutrition industry in my opinion. With that said, if someone really needs a boost while starting out in the gym, green tea is about as good of an option as it gets. I literally lived off of caffeine pills and other various forms of stimulants while in law school, but wow that crash afterwards when I discontinued their use was a motherf’er.

As for the debate regarding how you should split up your meals, who knows where it originated. It was probably some article in Flex magazine a million years ago. It definitely helps to prevent over eating and also makes life much easier for those who are trying to take in a large amount of clean calories a day. Anyone who’s tried eating a clean 1500-2000 calories in one sitting will likely agree that it ain’t easy.

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
I also want to shed some pounds around the mid-section. Unfortunately my left knee no longer has cartilage and doesn't feel great after 8 hours of work on a concrete floor. They will not do a knee replacement until I'm around 50 years old ( 12 years to go). I've played softball for the last 27 years and I'm trying to get into shape for spring. This season has been the roughest yet. The diet is key with my situation, but I'm trying to figure out more low impact workouts to save the pain. Sucks getting old.
Swimming or exercise bike FTW. They make exercise bikes that fold up for storage, and you can just do it whenever you watch something. Diet is a b*tch, just have a cheat day and eat tons of protein and fiber to maximize your full feeling.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a great read that's a prime example of what we've discussed ITT: http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2wbm1a/clinically_obese_to_ripped_part_three/

Hi Reddit!

Thanks to everyone for voting me "best weight loss transformation of 2014". I'm back for another installment of my journey from fat to fit as requested by many of you. This is my third installment of my journey. Here is the original post from last year: Clinically obese(class II) to ripped
My goal for this is to offer a simple blueprint that anyone can use. When I first began this journey i had no idea where to start. I'm going to highlight all my strategies that have worked in the hopes of helping someone who is in a similar predicament.
Stats

Sex: Male
Height: 5’9”
Before: 240lb
After: 160lb
Face gains
Recap and update

• Back in 2011 I was an obese, depressed, alcoholic, smoker.
  • After becoming fed up with my sloppyness and lack of dates, I started dieting and running on a treadmill.
  • I lost 80lbs, quit smoking and drinking and got really skinny.
  • Having lost so much weight, I had accumulated some loose skin.
  • Luckily, I am privileged enough to afford the surgery to remove said skin so I took the dive and got the surgery.
  • After the skin had gone I finally felt I could achieve a beach body and decided to enter a physique competition, more as a challenge to myself than anything else. Here I am on stage in October at the Iron Man Natural.
  • Here is the full album from the event.
  • Since the competition I have transitioned into my first intentional bulk ever. The mental aspect of this is incredibly difficult. Keep in mind I have been dieting consistently for almost 4 years. To reverse that mentality and actually welcome weight gain has proven to be a challenge.
  • The beginning of the bulk was awesome. I was still lean from my competition but started filling out from the increased calories. This gym selfie I took got featured on a fitness motivation Instagram account.
  • At the beginning of this year my local gym asked me if I would model for them as they needed pics for a new gym website. I wasn't expecting this opportunity and was not as lean as I would have liked. I agreed to the photo shoot and tried my best to dehydrate and carb load.
  • Here is the full album.
Diet

• I've tried almost every diet and had some success with a few of them but the philosophy I choose to follow today is that of IIFYM or counting macros.
  • Counting macros is not a diet per se but more a way of eating that makes you aware of what you are ingesting. To count macros you use a calorie counter to track all the foods you eat and then look at the macro nutrient breakdowns of those foods and eat in an intentional way that will hit your goal number of carbs, fats and proteins. In this way you can still subscribe to a more food specific diet but doing so with this strategy makes you conscious of your macros.
  • For my show prep I did a classic bodybuilder prep diet consisting of tilapia, brown rice and broccoli. Although I was not IIFYM dieting, I did calculate the macros to be 45 fat, 145 carb and 225 protein(1,885 calories). I got incredibly lean doing this but it was unnecessarily difficult.
  • After the competition I began increasing my calories slowly by about 15 carbs and 3 fats a week. This is called a reverse diet and it's purpose is to allow your body to adjust to increased calories without putting on excess fat. My current lean bulking macros are 60 fat, 400 carb and 200 protein(2,940 calories). I've gained a total of 20lbs since beginning this increase. Start and now
  • Supplements: creatine, fish oil, multivitamin. I have never used steroids or pro-hormones.
Training

• Towards the end of my show prep, when I was reaching low single digit body fat percentages, my strength took a steep dive. Since my show, I have been focusing much of my time in the gym on strength.
  • I do Jim Wendler's Boring But Big 5/3/1 strength protocol. Here is a link to the program and the 5/3/1 calculator. This program is for intermediate lifters. My favorite beginner program is ICF 5x5. Here is a graphic with the specific exercises.
Current one rep maxes:
OHP: 145lb
Squat: 315lb
Bench: 240lb
DL: 405lb
Motivation

• "How do you stay motivated?" This is the most frequent question I've received from my reddit posts and it’s difficult to answer.
  • Originally my motivation was to look better and not be ignored by girls. This kept me going for a while but if that were my only motivation I would have fallen off a long time ago. Today my motivation is intrinsic, it comes from within. Lifting weights is part of who I am. It’s not something I try to get out of the way any more. I cherish my time in the gym.
  • In the early days, to get through times of low motivation, I made the gym part of my routine. If I didn't think about it, I wouldn't think my way out of it. After work everyday I went to the gym on my way home. Instead of being home from work at 4:30, I was home at 5:30 because I went to the gym first. Making myself go was the hardest part.
Things I wish I had known

• Cardio<Weights<Diet - This is the order of importance if an aesthetically appealing physique is the goal. Diet is the most important part of gaining or losing weight. To gain or lose weight in order to achieve an aesthetic figure, weight training is paramount. Cardio is a tool to use in conjunction with diet and weights to help achieve a caloric deficit.
  • Tracking - If your goal is to achieve an aesthetic physique, tracking is a must. Tracking your diet, body weight and the weights you lift gives you the ability to view progress and analyze the variables. Being able to manipulate these variables is essential to break through plateaus. MyFitnessPal is great for tracking.
A couple years ago I was sitting on my computer reading posts like this one, wondering if it was possible for me to do the same thing. It was possible for me and it is possible for you too. I am not naturally a fit person. The success I have found has come from consistent positive choices.
If you are thinking about starting your own fitness journey, DO IT. You'll be glad you did. The way I feel is great, the way I look is awesome but the biggest difference is the way I'm treated today. I feel a sense of respect from complete strangers and people seem to WANT to talk to me. I'm still getting used to it, but it's awesome.
I'll answer any questions you may have. I'm an open book. I have no secrets.
TL;DR Before and after
TL;DR - he leaned out big time, focused on proper nutrition and training, and now he's focusing on bulking up. This is like a prime example of how to do it properly.
Sponsored