Sponsored

Value of a 65 partly restored?

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
a 65 coupe just popped up for sale by me. its a v6 auto car. all body panels and floor boards were replaced. guy gave up on it. needs interior and motor work. whats a fair selling value?
Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
Really can't answer this without looking at the car in person. First off its a V6 auto, so you are on the low end of the price spectrum which I'm sure you know. All matching numbers does add some value if the motor is repairable and the rest is original, but again not as much as a V8 car. Being that most of the body has been replaced the originality is already on the way out somewhat.

Body panels and floor boards replaced is good... if it's done right. If not you are just inheriting someone else's nightmare. Interior work is a broad statement, is this just replacing panels and some banged up seats? I've seen some guys list wiring as interior work because the gauges are inside lol.

I used to only play with old school stuff, I love it and will never fully get away from it... but you HAVE TO love it, most resto projects are a bigger money pits than boats haha.

Since its local go and take a look at it, I'm sure you'll find a few things to help talk the price down. What is the asking price?

OP
OP

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
good points. the original seats are still in the car. it looks to need carpet and some interior panels. asking price is $2500. i have a picture but having issues posting it

SteedaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange Ecoboost
Sounds like a great candidate for a coyote swap.

Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
My 2 cents... just as a quick go-by, Hagerty's valuation tool (I don't live by this but its a good reference) has pristine 65's going for $27,100... this is a concourse eligible type of car. Then the adjustments, +10% for 4-spd, -25% for 6-cyl, -10% for auto, +6% for A/C. I'm surprised there is no adjustment for a convertible, I'm assuming you are looking at a hardtop? So right there if you restored it to the best of the best its estimated value could only reach $17,615. No way in hell would I pay that much for even a pristine V6 auto '65, my top dollar would personally be $14-12k on a V6 car... and it would have to be a special one at that. (And just like today, you will always wish you got the V8 if you didn't!)

So at an asking price of $2500, you have $11k to play with to get your money back down the road. If you do the work yourself you could make it work... if there are no surprises. But if any of that body work was done incorrectly walk away. Replacing floorboards alone can bring the car way out of alignment if they didn't brace it properly. Also take a good hard look for any evidence of an accident, you are talking about a car that has a curb weight of under 2,500 lbs if I'm not mistaken, doesn't take much to twist these up.

Take a look at it though, if anything you start to learn things to look for on the next one. Let us know how she looks in person if you go

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
WTF. I've never seen a V6 1965 Mustang.

;)

(If all the sheetmetal work is done, and done well, it's worth $2500....)

OP
OP

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
i wouldn't be getting the car to restore it to oem and sell it. it would more be a fun project car that would get a v8

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Take a good hard look at the body and frame. Price is good if the work is done right, and who pays asking anyways?

I haven't looked at many early mustangs so I don't know where the more rust prone areas are. Maybe someone else can chime in there?

Being a V6 auto car you aren't going to upset anyone with a V8 swap, perfect donor car.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
WTF. I've never seen a V6 1965 Mustang.

;)

(If all the sheetmetal work is done, and done well, it's worth $2500....)

Right, should be a straight six.

If the body is solid and ready as a blank slate for the next owner I think you could get $5k or more. I paid $9k for a crappy condition '67 but it was a V8 fastback which, thanks to Gone in 60 Seconds, were in very high demand at the time.

OP
OP

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
yea my fault. in line 6. id like to get it decent with a v8 and manual.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
yea my fault. in line 6. id like to get it decent with a v8 and manual.
I led you down the V6 path too, but yeah it was a inline as was already pointed out. I was 21 years away from being born when they came out, hope that's enough to earn me a pass on that slip. Thanks for correcting me on that one, my old man can finally stop rolling over in his grave
Sponsored

Last edited: