Sponsored

Another engine oil thread ... What do you use?

Which brand of engine oil do you use?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Good Filter, and 2 times a year is fine if you don't drive it much. But, when you drive it in the winter do you drive it long enough to evaporate all the moisture that condenses in the engine in cold climates?
When I drive in the winter, normally I don't drive it long enough. I've had decent highway trips, but the car is normally driven around town.
Sponsored

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Just over 1100 miles and will pull the oil and swap out for Amsoil Signature Series 5w-20 for my GT PP. I'll send a sample in at that time, then again in 6 months.

I also use the Amsoil EAO filters. The plan is to change at 15000 or 1 year, but it'll depend on what the samples read in 6 months.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Just over 1100 miles and will pull the oil and swap out for Amsoil Signature Series 5w-20 for my GT PP. I'll send a sample in at that time, then again in 6 months.

I also use the Amsoil EAO filters.
Exactly what I did @ 1,058 miles.

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase

I also use the Amsoil EAO filters. The plan is to change at 15000 or 1 year, but it'll depend on what the samples read in 6 months.
I'm sure the Amsoil is rated for 15,000 miles, but I personally think that is too long to go between oil changes.

Shouldn't the filter be changed around 7k of those 15k miles? Might as well change the oil too if you're pulling the filter.

Oil change intervals are all subjective within reason.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'm sure the Amsoil is rated for 15,000 miles, but I personally think that is too long to go between oil changes.

Shouldn't the filter be changed around 7k of those 15k miles? Might as well change the oil too if you're pulling the filter.

Oil change intervals are all subjective within reason.
Check out the Bob is the Oil Guy forums. That's a good place to start.

I've ran synthetics on my cars for years. Started with Mobil 1 then upgraded to Amsoil. I've done oil samples as well.

One area where I ran Amsoil hard was in a class 8 tractor trailer. I successfully logged 50,000 miles on their diesel formulation without changing anything but the filter at 25k and topping off. The oil analysis was good to go other than soot levels, and if I had a bypass filter I could have went longer getting that soot out.

I've used the Amsoil Signature Series for almost 20,000 miles and no filter change. The oil was still in good shape other than silica levels that were caused by an air filter that was letting dirt past once it was used up.

Unless you're pushing the car to high heat levels like racing every day, and you're using a top quality oil like Amsoil and a filter like their EAO that filters down to 20 microns and is rated for one year service you should be able to extend intervals. I would suggest sampling at 6 months or around 7500 miles. I've got a Fumoto oil plug with drain to make it easy.

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
where you guys get your amsoil from? think i'm gonna give that a go

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
where you guys get your amsoil from? think i'm gonna give that a go
I buy direct. You can pay for the "membership" and it'll actually save you money over the non-membership. But play with it in your cart to see what works best for you.

Or... you can see if someone locally sells it for cheaper.

http://www.amsoil.com/locator/map.aspx

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Thanks guys. I actually couldn't remember the rep name here, but I think I've seen one. Just never seen it locally and noticed amazon didn't have it(how is this possible lol) so figured I would see what everyone else was doing

Sponsored

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
I've sworn by AMSOIL and REDLINE in my last two BMW's and a Porsche. Had nothing bad to say about any of them.

I plan on using AMSOIL in the GT.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I'm impressed with Pennzoil Ultra Platinium.
There was once a day when I'd use almost anything BUT pennzoil.

BUT....Shell Oil bought Pennzoil back in 2011. They have totally reformulated Pennsoil products.
I'm especially interested in their new "Pure Plus Technology"

Proprietary process in which Shell Oil creates the oil base from pure Natural Gas.
Pennzoil claims Ultra Platinium keeps pistons and other oil lubriated parts cleaner then any other oil on the market.

Maybe some of the below is simply marketing and corporate deals...but for what its worth:

BMW used to use Castrol....since 2012 they have used relabeled Pennzoil Ultra as their "BMW brand oil"
SRT recommends Pennzoil Ultra
Ferrari recommends Pennzoil Ultra
Hennessey Performance recommends Pennzoil

Real numbers are where it counts, Right!?
The Volatility Burn Off (NOACK) [% mass loss, 250 degrees C or 482 degrees F @ 1 hour] tests are very good on Pennzoil Products.

Pennzoil Ultra at 6.6%
Quaker State Ultra (Quaker State, like Pennzoil is owned by Shell Oil) at 8.8%
Amsoil OE at 10.9%
Royal Purple at 10.9%
Mobil 1 at 10.1%
Castrol Edge at 11.1%
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Here is list of conventional oils:
Pennzoil at 6.5%
Quaker State at 7.8%
Motorcraft at 15.2%
http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html

Last edited:

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
I'm going to be switching to synthetic now that it's my second oil change. From the looks of it I guess mobile 1 or Motorcraft are still best choices for synthetic?

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm impressed with Pennzoil Ultra Platinium.
There was once a day when I'd use almost anything BUT pennzoil.

BUT....Shell Oil bought Pennzoil back in 2011. They have totally reformulated Pennsoil products.
I'm especially interested in their new "Pure Plus Technology"

Proprietary process in which Shell Oil creates the oil base from pure Natural Gas.
Pennzoil claims Ultra Platinium keeps pistons and other oil lubriated parts cleaner then any other oil on the market.

Maybe some of the below is simply marketing and corporate deals...but for what its worth:

BMW used to use Castrol....since 2012 they have used relabeled Pennzoil Ultra as their "BMW brand oil"
SRT recommends Pennzoil Ultra
Ferrari recommends Pennzoil Ultra
Hennessey Performance recommends Pennzoil

Real numbers are where it counts, Right!?
The Volatility Burn Off (NOACK) [% mass loss, 250 degrees C or 482 degrees F @ 1 hour] tests are very good on Pennzoil Products.

Pennzoil Ultra at 6.6%
Quaker State Ultra (Quaker State, like Pennzoil is owned by Shell Oil) at 8.8%
Amsoil OE at 10.9%
Royal Purple at 10.9%
Mobil 1 at 10.1%
Castrol Edge at 11.1%
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Here is list of conventional oils:
Pennzoil at 6.5%
Quaker State at 7.8%
Motorcraft at 15.2%
http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html
On second thought maybe I'll switch to pennzoil. I was thinking to try this out since I've heard multiple good things and I did noticed Hennessy using pennzoil too.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crap and now I read above that I can get Amsoil at 25% off. Ahhh. Decisions decisions. From the voting chart Amsoil is one of the lower used ones though.
Sponsored