Sponsored

Airlift knocking noise in rear

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
So I had this issue about a month ago and went crazy trying to find the noise one to find a loose coil collar that fixed the problem right up.
It has since come back, and like any person would I started there again without luck this time. Any thought what it can be? Knocking noise on low speed bumps in rear right strut.
Thanks!
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Did you try running all the hardware and make sure it was tight? I put coil overs on my srt magnum and my lower rear mount seemed tight but was just lose enough to cause a slight knock at under 25mph when the car was under more load in the rear. Drove me frickn nuts till I found it.

702ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang ecoboost
I had 2 issues that were causing this. The bottom bolt on the bag was overtightened and actually pulled out of the bag. The threaded part just presses into the plastic bottom of the bag which is a terrible design for this application. It happened on both sides at different times. I fixed it with jb weld and I put some dynomat on the bottom washer thing between the washer and lca. Re-tightened it and have been good for over 1000 miles so far.
My other problem was the rear lugs weren't torqued. Sounds simple but it fixed the problem once for me.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I have a clicking and under tension sort of knocking sound from rear right at low speeds reverse or forward. Wondering if its the same thing. I have coilovers but was thinking it was the coilover mounts upper or lower:shrug:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What other non-factory parts do you have under the rear of the car? I know you're looking specifically at the bags, but it might well be something else. Eg, if you have toe rods, lube them up.
A really good trick for us with bags is this:
Jack the car, remove wheels, remove sway bar link. Place jack stands under car. Deflate bags and use the jack to cycle the suspension from under the LCA. Good chance you'll find the culprit.

Sponsored

notstok5.0

IG: notstok5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustang6g.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you're trying to lock the collar ring with the shock still on the car you may not have it tight enough, it needs to be VERY tight (I've been fighting mine for the past 2 weeks). I took my shocks off the car (its an easy 4 bolts) and used a 6" length of pipe around the collar locking tool handle to get leverage and torqued the ring down while holding the threaded portion of the shock with a piece of anti slip rubber.

As others have said, check the bottom bolts. Both of mine walked out fully and were finger tight. I retorqued them to 20NM and they've been tight for a couple weeks.

Other option is the upper bolt. You'll need a 15mm wrench and can check to make sure its tight up top, but you have limited room to work, just make sure it feels as tight as the 20NM bolt on the bottom.

Last option is to check your top shock nut, maybe it's loose in the bracket? I'd bet its your locking rings though.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
it didn't matter what I did. it kept getting loose. So I put loctite on both those collars on the PITA shocks and solved the problem! It's incredible how horrible it sounded. Like some hoopty.

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
It was a blown shock mount!!!
Those things can go under low pressure or increased dampening beyond that of the stock suspension.

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
It was a blown shock mount!!!
Those things can go under low pressure or increased dampening beyond that of the stock suspension.
I was just about to tell you check the fukin shocks. I too had this same issue but only on the right side and man I tightened and took the whole side apart only to find that it was still making that noise. So to start process of illimination, the only thing I hadn't messed with was the shock. I installed one of the stock shocks back on and PRESTO, no noise at all until I received a new one from Airlift. All is good to go now but what a pain in the ass and who wants to spend that kind of money and have a noise like that:shrug:.

Glad you got it fixed man.:headbang:

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I just got this noise today for my rear passenger. It was clacking all when I turns, back up and move forward.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I just got this noise today for my rear passenger. It was clacking all when I turns, back up and move forward.
Locking collar or the strut mount is loose/broken.

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Locking collar or the strut mount is loose/broken.
Ill find out tomorrow when I jack this car up. The noise is some what gone but Ill check anyway.

Everything is tight. The only plausible option now is my shock is blown? I even check my wheel bearings just in case they are bad.

Last edited:

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
UPDATE: it was the top shock mount nut was loose. The rear end is much happy now. I think my IRS is making noise in general after I start to mod it.
Sponsored