Sponsored

First time out with new camber plates:

916Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '15 650S, '15 GT3, '16 GT3RS, '17 GSZ07
I have a '17 GT350 that I track occasionally at MSRC. It does not allow for camber adjustment in stock form... and it needs it. Mine came fixed with -1.1 deg on the RF and -1.3 deg on the LF and the tires wore miserably on the outside edge. I had Vorshlag camber plates installed and the camber set to -2.8 deg front and -2.0 deg back and experienced a 0.6 second improvement in average lap times (compared to previous good day averages), in the first session of use. Total investment was just shy of $850. While the tires have a decent amount of tread left, they have pretty much stopped getting tacky so I expect a new set of tires would show an even better improvement.

Along with the improved times, the front end feels noticeably stickier. Braking was unaffected and turn in might be a tad better... front toe is set to zero. There was also no effect on the cars balance... it still slides evenly and predictably. I'm quite happy with the change and expect to be even more so when I start seeing the tires wear more evenly. Now if I could just find a way to get the front pads to last a bit longer...
Sponsored

Readfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
17 F350 King Ranch, 17 Focus RS
My vorshlag camber plates just showed up today via UPS.

Hopefully will be installing this weekend.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I need to look into this as well, but never installed camber plates not sure how hard it is.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It seems complicated and some company's instructions are garbage, but, for example, installing the Steeda plates is almost obvious once you take the strut out. Haven't installed Vorshlags but can't be that difficult. Plenty of videos online for the Steeda plates that you can translate enough over to any CC plate you choose, if not Steeda's.

Sponsored

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Been watching these threads to get ideas. My 17R will be mostly track car and I hear that in stock trim, you can not achieve the recommended settings. So I know I must do something. I have seen discussion on various camber plates, which apparently provide the largest range of neg camber adjustment. Have also seen a "longer bolt"? (don't know where that goes) which adds some additional adjustment range from stock, but not as much as plates. I also understand that the camber plates install is more involved than the bolt solution.

Can someone summarize the basic adjustment range achieved with these 2 different methods? How different are the install costs?

Thanks for any replies. :headbang:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
[MENTION=19556]tdzee[/MENTION] - the best approach is camber plates because adjustments with them articulate both the strut and wheel at the same time. Slotting the strut will move the top of the wheel closer to the strut when adjusting camber and if you're running wider-than-stock wheels/tires, you increase the risk of contact. With the Steeda plates, the bearing is excellent and they are very strong (a competitor's set I had prior to Steeda's bent immediately after torquing the top three strut nuts). I would assume, if you prefer Vorshlags, their bearing and their strength is top notch as well, and with those you can eliminate the top hat bearing seat over the spring (assuming R's have those).

On an R, given what it is capable of, don't use camber bolts. No friggin' way.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a video showing the install!

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]WQRkYnvaWB4[/MEDIA]"]

Best Regards,

TJ

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
I would like to ask a few questions if you don't mind. I'm familiar with Maximum Motorsports CC plates...had them on my 04 Cobra...seemed to work fine. Are the Vorshlag that much better to warrant doubling the price? Are you guys setting the car up with -2.5 degrees neg for use on the track AND street? How is this affecting your tire wear on the street? I'm not sure I would want to reset it for each track event. I've done 4 track events with my car to date but might only do maybe 2 a year going forward and I'm not pushing it to its limits when I do get it out there. Any comments would be appreciated.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Once you installed these and adjusted your camber how does it perform on the street? Could you still daily drive it 20-40km a day?

Sponsored
OP
OP
916Bob

916Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would like to ask a few questions if you don't mind. I'm familiar with Maximum Motorsports CC plates...had them on my 04 Cobra...seemed to work fine. Are the Vorshlag that much better to warrant doubling the price? Are you guys setting the car up with -2.5 degrees neg for use on the track AND street? How is this affecting your tire wear on the street? I'm not sure I would want to reset it for each track event. I've done 4 track events with my car to date but might only do maybe 2 a year going forward and I'm not pushing it to its limits when I do get it out there. Any comments would be appreciated.
The Vorshlag seem to be made pretty stout. The bearing and carrier look well up to the task and are much nicer than much of the competition. That's why I chose them. Wether that difference is worth the extra price is a good question. Ford Performance sets up their cars with one costing half as much for what that's worth.

I do not change from the track settings for street driving. Wear for me is worst when the camber is lower street or track. I do feel that when using track camber settings on the street, you need to keep toe at or very close to zero to ensure the best wear.

OP
OP
916Bob

916Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Once you installed these and adjusted your camber how does it perform on the street? Could you still daily drive it 20-40km a day?
My GT350 is my "beater" car. I drive the crap out of it and then drive it to the track and beat on it some more. It even sits outside while the other cars enjoy temperature controlled garages. I've never been really impressed with the steering but it's now as good as it's ever been with the plates and track alignment. I bought it to be a low cost track toy / don't worry about it car and it's working out very well in both regards.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
My GT350 is my "beater" car. I drive the crap out of it and then drive it to the track and beat on it some more. It even sits outside while the other cars enjoy temperature controlled garages. I've never been really impressed with the steering but it's now as good as it's ever been with the plates and track alignment. I bought it to be a low cost track toy / don't worry about it car and it's working out very well in both regards.
I like what I am hearing.

Thanks for the reply.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
To anyone who does their own alignments I highly reccomend to get camber bolts and camber plates.

The camber plates take care of the big adjustments and the camber bolts allow you to fine tune the settings.

SPL makes really nice zinc coated ones.
Sponsored