Sponsored

Lap timing and data logging

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Curious what you guys use to time your laps. At VIR, I buy the data tag which takes a lot of stress out of timing. For Memphis and other tracks I use the android app "Trackmaster" which is a love/hate relationship. I use a qstarz box paired via bluetooth to get more accurate GPS to feed the app. Works great when it works, but multiple times I've been in the middle of a session and it just decides to stop logging my laps. :frusty: Would be better if it integrated OBD data, but pushing limits of my android phone as it is, so I log OBD via a seperate box. For the mustang, will probably be nGauge.

So what do you guys use?
Sponsored

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
Aim SoloDL. I overlay the data on GoPro video with Race Render software.
[ame]

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Cool, I'd never seen one of those before. $400 though, woof. Think I paid $5 or $10 for Trackmaster app and another little bit for the QStarz box, but it's very fickle. I also use RaceRender - that's great software right there. So does the Aim box also do OBD acquisition for throttle, RPM, etc?
3.jpg

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
The DL is actually a bit more expensive. The DL is for data log. It logs all the track data and OBD data too. It gives predictive lap times on track and is pretty much all automatic. Just turn it on and it does it's job. I've been really happy with mine.

Track Addict is a good app for logging. Same people that make the Race Render software.

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
That SoloDL looks very, very slick. Nice to have everything solved in a single box like that.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
How much of the data you're showing above would still be there with just the Aim Solo (non-DL)? I have that, and a GoPro. And an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge or two that don't record that occupy the OBDII socket.

I'm assuming that the tach and throttle position would be gone.

How do you synchronize the data to the video?

Norm

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I use Harry's Lap Timer and have for over 5 years, the product is always being improved with new features added all the time. Harry's is the gold standard of app based data recording. Online feature is cool for tracking others on track and getting good idea of how your times compare to others on track. Lap data can be exported to more sophisticated analytical software if you need that detail.

If you are in the iPhone/ipad world it is a very easy solution, video shot on the device is rendered on the device, OBD data via Bluetooth and a $50.00 adapter, GPS info on an iPhone 5 or newer is very good but additional GPS devices for upto 10k updates can be added via Bluetooth, direct integration with GoPro WiFi Cameras with auto start/stop video control. It is simple to setup and works with very very little hiccups.

In the android world things can be better or worse, seems there is much less of a standard for integration in the android world and devices very greatly on their built in capability. The video on android devices always seems much more complicated than it needs to be but adding OBD and additional GPS accuracy is as easy as the iPhone but connection issues can cause data drops.

If you are looking for something to bridge the gap between app based data and professional data loggers the Solo is a great option, there is another piece that I am looking at as it looks to be exactly what I am looking for if I decide to move past Harry's.

Autosports Labs makes a small little OBDII powered device that contains the data logger, Accelerometer, Gyro, Compass, and 10-50k GPS receiver into a small compact device that velcros to your dash. The unit is 3.5" x 1.5" x 2" and weighs 5oz. Its called Race Capture and looks like a cost affordable solution to get pro level data without the expense of a pro level system or having to install a permanent solution. The data is displayed in real time to any apple/android based device, it is recorded there but generated by the RaceCapture device, so you can mount a large format android tablet for a very large display if you want or use your phone. You can use the data services in a phone to live stream telemetry back to the pits for the "crew" to keep an eye on the cars health for you. If you ever outgrow this device they make full on pro version of the system that are designed to be installed permanently into the car and have nearly unlimited data capture options. Video for these devices would need to be captured on any action cam and data sink done using Race Render or other software.

More info Here:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapture-Track
https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/racecapture/

Video of app display:
[ame]

Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Norm
For what I do currently with TrackMaster, separate GoPro and separate OBD, its a pain in the a$$ to get the data overlaid on the video properly. RaceRender does make it about as easy as it can be though with a separate window where you can wiggle each data source fwd/backward relative to the video. So what I started doing just before session start is to do a "marker" of all the sources - what that means is holding the throttle steady at 3k RPM for a few seconds.

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
How much of the data you're showing above would still be there with just the Aim Solo (non-DL)? I have that, and a GoPro. And an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge or two that don't record that occupy the OBDII socket.

I'm assuming that the tach and throttle position would be gone.

Norm
I don't believe you can get any data out of the Solo. If you could, you might get lap times and possibly a track map.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I don't believe you can get any data out of the Solo. If you could, you might get lap times and possibly a track map.
You can download the data out of a Solo via the PC software included with the solo, you get all track data recorded and then can use their Race Studio software to analyze the data. The SoloDL will collect OBDII data as well and can be downloaded as well.

Dave

Sponsored
OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Autosports Labs makes a small little OBDII powered device that contains the data logger, Accelerometer, Gyro, Compass, and 10-50k GPS receiver into a small compact device that velcros to your dash. The unit is 3.5" x 1.5" x 2" and weighs 5oz. Its called
Cheaper than the SoloDL; nice features! Shut up and take my money! :headbang:

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I love my Harry's Lap Timer. I use the integrated video and the data collected is easily understood on the device for post session recaps. The only reason I would log OBD info is for accel and braking info but on Harry's it's pretty easy to judge based upon the data sets and their presentation (and my loud exhaust).

I just suggest a really good mount.

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Though I had to postpone due to unexpected purchases last year, I'll be (hopefully soon) building an AutosportLabs RaceCapturePro setup. (I just looked it up and they updated the hardware/software!) I want to be able to instrument the car a little better than it currently is and I hope to reverse engineer the CAN PIDs off the MoTeC SLM and use that instead of the fancy dashes.

edit:

Nevermind the MoTeC SLM, AutosportLabs have:

https://www.autosportlabs.com/introducing-shiftx2-and-bonus-reward-for-racecapture-pre-orders/

and out-of-box support cost effective tire temp readings:

https://www.autosportlabs.com/izze-racing-multi-zone-tire-temperature-support-for-racecapturepro/
Sponsored

Last edited: