Sponsored

Track Day Review of my 17 GT350

16GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
For those of you that haven't had an opportunity to track your GT350, I thought I would share my impressions. Quick summary: this car is unbelievable!

I ran my car at Road Atlanta in HPDE sessions (no racing or time trials). NASA-SE runs a great program and I had an amazing weekend.

Drivetrain thoughts: Having come out of a Boss 302, higher revving Mustangs are not new to me. However, the GT350 really shines in some key ways the Boss never could. The increased power from 4-8k was simply amazing. I was able to pull away from current generation Corvettes once speeds exceed 100 mph. In one session, I ran close to a new M4 that had been race prepped (bolt ons, tune, gutted interior, roll bars, etc). However the GT350 easily pulled away from the M4. Also ran with a previous 2004 gen z06 (NA motor) and again, was surprised by how easily the car gapped the z06 at the top end. The acceleration after 100 mph really surprised me. The flexibility of the motor made the car a dream to drive. It really didn't matter what gear I ran in as long as the engine was over 4K. I was able to reduce the number of times I needed shift substantially compared to any of about half dozen cars I've driven there. Being able to hold the car primarily in 4th gear even on long straights was amazing! The noises this car made on track were intoxicating (no noise limit issues).

Transmission and clutch: Both performed flawlessly. No lockout issues as experienced in higher RPM range in the Boss or previous GTs. The shift feel was very good. Firm but not recalcitrant like other heavy duty transmissions I've driven. The combo worked without incident for two solid days of tracking.

Handling: Where to start - car handled very well. Body motions were always controlled. A few observations about Track mode for suspension: I reallly couldn't believe how different the car felt in track mode. On the street, Track mode feels more firm but that's all I could really tell. On track the differences become much more obvious. The body roll was almost eliminated, the car felt much more responsive and the surface of the track was communicated through the chassis. Even though the feel was very firm, the suspension was amazingly compliant and I could use more of the rumble strips and curbing and maintain control beyond my expectations and previous experience.

Brakes: First time I've ever driven a factory pad/fluid without some issue. Either pads overheating, fluid overheating, or some combination of both has always occurred on OEM equipment. However, while I'd prefer more initial bite and overall stopping power, the pedal stayed firm and braking performance was consistent from the first lap to the last. Genuinely impressed by the overall performance. I will likely upgrade pads and fluid to improve but you can take this car to track as is and not experience any issues - amazing!

Electronics: The various modes do make noticeable differences on track. I was surprised by how much leeway the system gives you. I've driven my cars hard on track and previously felt the nannies slowing me down (including in my Boss). I accidentally left the car in normal mode and it really didn't interfere all that much (although it disconcertingly interfered at a high speed apex, so i quickly corrected it back to Track mode). When in Track mode, I never felt it kick in the dash lights never lit up indicating they were activated (as it did in the rain once or twice). I was able to drive the car hard, get some aggressive rotation and throttle application without any issues. Ford tuned the electronics well on this car. Also, unlike previous Ford systems you could easily change modes while on track. I really appreciated not having to pit to correct the setting as I had to do with previous Mustangs.

The car got lots of attention too - I had regular visitors asking about the car and other drivers coming to talk about our on track sessions. I thought maybe the hype around these cars was dying down, but it isn't.

Get your GT350 on track ASAP!

I will post a video shortly.

PS - I bought rims (Forgeline) and tires (NT01) from Paul here on the forum and they were phenomenal.

PSS - my Steeda jacking rails made swapping tires at the track much easier.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78198&page=1

J
IMG_0784.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
16GT350

16GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
This wasn't my best lap, but it was the quickest one that I had video for...

Can anyone show me how to embed this video in a way that it shows the video in the post?

N

Last edited:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
This wasn't my best lap, but it was the quickest one that I had video for...

Can anyone show me how to embed this video in a way that it shows the video in the post?

N
Nice video! And here you go:

[ame]

You just have to use the URL that says "Youtube.com" instead of "Youtu.be"

Sponsored

17SHLB350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Damn bro, looks like a lot of fun. Never tracked a car only sportbikes. Cant wait to get mine on a track.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Awesome review and post! I will be at Road Atlanta a few times this year...

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
Thanks for the post and wow, 350s are just beasts!

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
Nice driving skills! cant wait to put her back on the track in may... seems like winter is never ending here!

I was wondering what you are using to enbed the info on the video? I would like to do something similar. I use Harry's lap timer petrolhead edition...

Sponsored

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Very cool man. I'm taking my car to the track this upcoming Sunday. I'll be there with a local Ford salesman with his Focus RS, and another Ford salesman at the same dealership with his modded GT. Not sure what he has other than exhaust and tune though.

This video is making me even more anxious to hop on the track come Sunday.

Random question -- do you use magnetic numbers for the side? I just got some made by a friend out here, but just curious to know what others are doing as well.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Very cool man. I'm taking my car to the track this upcoming Sunday. I'll be there with a local Ford salesman with his Focus RS, and another Ford salesman at the same dealership with his modded GT. Not sure what he has other than exhaust and tune though.

This video is making me even more anxious to hop on the track come Sunday.

Random question -- do you use magnetic numbers for the side? I just got some made by a friend out here, but just curious to know what others are doing as well.
I have an oval magnetic number plate with vinyl numbers. I put a little strip of tape on the leading a trailing edges of the number plate, just to be safe. It's worked fine at Laguna Seca and Sonoma, but top speeds at those tracks are under 120 MPH (for me anyway).

-T

OP
OP
16GT350

16GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Nice driving skills! cant wait to put her back on the track in may... seems like winter is never ending here!

I was wondering what you are using to enbed the info on the video? I would like to do something similar. I use Harry's lap timer petrolhead edition...
I use the same - it works great. I have an external GPS (ten times the sampling rate) and havebut didn't use for the video ODBII reader.

Works well without the add-ons.

OP
OP
16GT350

16GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Used magnetic sourced from the guy that does them for the Track Attack. Also used TrakkTape on the leading edge to keep them from coming up at 150 mph.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Used magnetic sourced from the guy that does them for the Track Attack. Also used TrakkTape on the leading edge to keep them from coming up at 150 mph.
Gotcha.
Sponsored