Sponsored

Complimentary Oil Filter Wrench?

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Then what's the purpose of the wrench if not to place some responsibility on the customer? And if that's the fix, why not provide a torque wrench as well?
Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
You can safely torque the filter to 30 lbs-ft without any harm to the filter or stud threads. But I recommend a clamp or both.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Some of the complaining here is amazing.

OHNO FORD IS GIVING ME A FREE SOCKET. I DON'T WANT IT UNLESS IT MAGICALLY FIXES EVERYTHING.
I agree.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Not complaining. Bought a filter wrench long ago and have done several oil changes without issue. If there is a problem, fix it. Don't give me a wrench as if that fixes a problem. If the issue is torque, then at least give a torque wrench. Again, not complaining, just not a kool aid drinker.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Anyone that owns a car and does any type of work on it should own a torque wrench!

wltrmtty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
If the issue is torque, then at least give a torque wrench. Again, not complaining, just not a kool aid drinker.

I don't think it's too much to expect someone to have a torque wrench. The filter wrench is a special tool designed to fit a unique oil filter. I bought a Craftsman torque wrench 20 years ago like the one below and have used it many years. I recently became curious as to whether it was actually torquing accurately, so I had its calibration checked. It was almost dead on. Seriously, it's only $50. Get yourself a torque wrench.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micr...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I don't think it's too much to expect someone to have a torque wrench. The filter wrench is a special tool designed to fit a unique oil filter. I bought a Craftsman torque wrench 20 years ago like the one below and have used it many years. I recently became curious as to whether it was actually torquing accurately, so I had its calibration checked. It was almost dead on. Seriously, it's only $50. Get yourself a torque wrench.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micr...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
Nothing special about it. Based on advice from members here, bought the wrench before taking delivery of the car last Spring and have done 3 oil changes since then without issue.

A torque wrench that accurately does less than 20 ft lbs is less common than the filter wrench--managed to get one of those too though.

All beside the point. Point is, why is Ford giving away the wrench? Kindness of their hearts? Particularly since the problems have come from improper torque, not from unavailable filter wrenches.

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"
I think its a pretty nice gesture. They could have easily said fuck off and if you want it done the right way take it to your local dealer, and we know how that has went for a lot of people.

Kind of makes me feel like Ford believes that this car is being bought by (for the most part) enthusiasts that are relatively mechanically inclined and they are trusting them enough to send this gesture.

But hey, I'm a glass half full kind of guy....

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
We'll find out what size the wrench really is supposed to be....

Wonder if we're gonna have to put a sheet of paper around the filter for the wrench to grab...

Too bad the kit doesn't include: 1) plastic bags, 2) a forma funnel, 3) the big ass pan and/or 4) an extra drain plug. I'd gladly swap out the new supplement for an extra plug.

Sponsored

Tacpguy15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
My dealer is sending one directly to my house. But I already had a sour taste when they tried telling me there was no recall for the tubes. Had to literally show them the FordPass app showing the recall.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I already have an oil filter socket that fits perfectly. I bought one at Auto Advance.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I got a message on my ford pass about this complimentary wrench. I too bought an aftermarket, but I'll take theirs and display it on my shelf.
Sponsored